Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Morrowind vs. Oblivion?

2»

Comments

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

Originally posted by Talemire

Daggerfall.

sucked

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by wolfmann

Daggerfall.

Morrowind felt rather bleak compared to that, just a tiny game with more bells and whistles(gfx wise).

And then came Oblivion, with was bleak compared to Morrowind, but with more bells and whistles...

*sigh*

Daggerfall was a decent game for it's time, but it had no sense of immersion for me, no game back then did IMO. It looked like doom, with some rpg elements. Saying Morrowind was bleak in comparison sounds like rose colored nostalgia to me that's only IMO of course.

What sets both Morrowind and Oblivion apart from Daggerfall, Arena and what was that other one? Redguard or something along those lines, is the former two actually felt like worlds rather than games.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Love both games.

I played Morrowind for over 2 years and now I find I'm playing Oblvion just as much.

Love the combat in Oblivion better than Morrowind. But there was a certain level of detail in Morrowind that Oblivion didn't have.

However, I do love the radiant AI and that the npc's have schedules. (oblivion)

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

I'll bite. Morrowind obviously is older, for it's time it was pretty good, but it was a bit bland, had lots of depth but somewhat generic depth. I still think Oblivion was better, it just felt alot more alive and dynamic and more fun to play.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

At least they didn't hold your hand in morrowind, so i will have to pick that.  Did enjoy both tho.

• HitechLolifeHitechLolife Member Posts: 210

Daggerfall by a mile. One of my favorite games of all time.

Currently Playing: The Game

• HitechLolifeHitechLolife Member Posts: 210

Originally posted by Malickie

Originally posted by wolfmann

Daggerfall.

Morrowind felt rather bleak compared to that, just a tiny game with more bells and whistles(gfx wise).

And then came Oblivion, with was bleak compared to Morrowind, but with more bells and whistles...

*sigh*

Daggerfall was a decent game for it's time, but it had no sense of immersion for me, no game back then did IMO. It looked like doom, with some rpg elements. Saying Morrowind was bleak in comparison sounds like rose colored nostalgia to me that's only IMO of course.

What sets both Morrowind and Oblivion apart from Daggerfall, Arena and what was that other one? Redguard or something along those lines, is the former two actually felt like worlds rather than games.

Scuse the doublepost but I respectfully disagree. Daggerfall was an amazing world, incredibly detailed with so much lore and stuff to find throughout. The storyline was also incredible.

I couldn't get into Morrowind as much. It feels like the sandbox vs themepark debate with MMOs when I think about it. All great games though, loved them all including The Elder Scrolls: Fallout.

Currently Playing: The Game

• TahamtanTahamtan Member Posts: 232

Originally posted by HitechLolife

Daggerfall by a mile. One of my favorite games of all time.

Haven't played that one. will do.

• ElderRatElderRat Member CommonPosts: 899

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by OoMpAlOmPaZ

Graphically Oblivion winds hands down. Gameplay/story/world wise Morrowind all the way!

Graphically and Combat wise Oblivion is better.

Sometimes graphics and combat are all that matters, especially in a sandbox rpg where the main storyline is the last thing the player is trying to complete.

I never played Morrowwind - is it as modable as Oblivion?  I recently turned a friend on to Oblivion and he complained to me about dying when going through the Gate in Kvatch. I told him - forget the storyline till later - just explore the world and your class.   Trying to get him to try the mods now, they are excellent.  With MMM there is never a dull moment... usually more like running and a lot of screaming.

Currently bored with MMO's.

• penguin33penguin33 Member Posts: 7

I personally like Morrowind alot more than I did Oblivion. Oblivion was an awesome game with great graphics and an awesome combat system but, morrowind had alot more to it. I loved all the weapons,quests,skills,and ways to play morrowind. It was really one of the first RPG games that I played and truly enjoyed. I also loved how it didn't hold your hand all the way through. It required that you think and be able to figure things out without a compass pointing the way. With that quality alone it made immersion alot easier and also made it a much longer game. Also, i felt like Oblivion had a really short main quest and not as many awesome side quests. Morrowind was just a great game and I would love to see another game with the amount of lore and sheer content that Morrowind had.

• Happy_NightHappy_Night Member Posts: 3

I like both. I guess Morrowind is more atmospheric one. Of course, Oblivion has better graphics, but it doesn’t make any sense for me coz I don’t believe that world is real.

• ngldbongldbo Member Posts: 2

both good games

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Morrowind hands down. An over all better designed game with no gimmicks attached. Oblivion was a joke in game design. It wasnt hand crafted, it was generated and shipped. Every 4 steps was met with the same cookie cutter dungeon. Bandits wearing the most rare and expensive armor in the worlds lore were trying to hijack you for chump change. It was just bad!

The modding community made it playable, but the first impression was destroyed.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

Originally posted by ElderRat

I never played Morrowwind - is it as modable as Oblivion? 

Very! Its the reason why Oblivion had Modding also.

• XesminXesmin Member UncommonPosts: 5

Morrowind is better. Oblivion is too boring ;P

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

Graphics and combat - Oblivion

Everything else - Morrowind

I recently tried Daggerfall again, but I just can't look past those graphics anymore. There's that rebuild project for it, but no idea if that will ever be finished.

• ChaosasChaosas Member Posts: 129

I've enjoyed Morrowind much more than I did Oblivion. When I got Morrowind I spent like a month exploring the world and doing every little side quest I could. But when I started playing Oblivion, I got bored quickly and just did the main quest line to finish it. I'm not even sure why, but Oblivion didn't give me that feeling of awe at the amazingly crafted huge world that you can explore freely. Maybe because Morrowind was the first game of this kind that I've played, and the novelty wore off?

• IronfungusIronfungus Member Posts: 519

I felt that Oblivion was dumbed down compared to Elder Scrolls, but only as far as you allow it. There are mods that take away your hud's objective marker, as well as fast travel. Actually, when I first played Oblivion I went through half the game running on foot because I didn't even know fast travel existed. And y'know what? It was awesome. Lengthened the game quite a bit.

• LatinxLatinx Member UncommonPosts: 1

Oblivion is better. Morrowind is too short for me.