Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

can i draw??

im an amateur "artist" that likes to draw cartoon style stuff when bored.

my problem is i rarely get any feedback about the drawings...some say i can draw well...some say i suck!

i like to draw mostly mmo related things,but it would be interesting to see what people really think and get positive or negative feedback.....just saying FFFUUUU you suck wont really make me better.

some constructive criticism might ;)

so if you like to draw or not i would like your opinion..

i have done this picture in the link below with 1 normal pencil and drawn everything from my own imagination and not copyed anything....hoping for some constructive replies!

ty!

http://meduvar.gamerdna.com/images/Ok617Fxe/adventure2-jpg

also made this one,,   

http://meduvar.gamerdna.com/images/RYg19tiQ/failed_rescue-jpg

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Sunday-comic worthy, not so much as traditional concept art. Play to it's strengths by taking it down the former route.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• mikaboy28mikaboy28 Member Posts: 81

thx for your opinion!

to be able to draw concept art would really be a dream...but it would require skills i dont have at the moment..

maybe i should just improve on the cartoonish side of things for now since im still practicing ;)

• sephersepher Member Posts: 3,561

Those are neat. You should try some mediums other than pencil for illustration and see what kind of things you can do. Chock up the one time expense of a Wacom if you haven't yet and see what you can do. 

ty!

yes i been thinking of buying one..i dont exactly know how they work yet and what kind of programs i get.

when i draw with regular pencil i find it hard to clean the drawing from all minor trash after i scan it in..

so i dont use colors since it would take way too much time to clean it to that point!.think coloring would add abit extra to the pics..

a wacom would really help with that..+propably lots of other things..

You can use certain programs to add color and comic-tones. Would probably come out better post-scan than had you colored it first on paper. Don't ask me what programs though, this is something I just read in a collection of "how to draw manga" books I sold off once I realized I just don't have what it takes to go anywhere with it.

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I'm actually very fond of that that style. There is a lot of detail to each character, and the art style is neither too cartoony or too realistic. I honestly thought they'd be somewhat crappy, but I was very suprised.

If you do use color I think they'd look better in much more muted tones.

thx laserwolf!

it is always fun to hear people's opinions ;)

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

Originally posted by mikaboy28

when i draw with regular pencil i find it hard to clean the drawing from all minor trash after i scan it in..

Well my friend I've got some info you might find useful.

A few of my artisticly inclined friends who draw a lot use a blue pencil that is a "non photo blue".  Basically when you draw with it and scan it, the scanner can't pick it up and it doesn't show up.

Now what you do is you draw your stuff out with this "non photo blue" and keep everything, don't have to erase unless you want to fix it, you can keep all the trash.  Then when you're happy with the image you take a regular pencil or an ink pen and you go over the "good" lines.  Once you scan that, the scanner only picks up the pencil/ink and all the blue stays on the paper.

I think that might help you with your problem there.

As for the art itself that I saw, I thought it was neat.  Not quite sure how you should best channel your artform but for what it is, I'd say it's good.  You just need a proper venue to showcase it.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

@Ilius

Yeah, I remember something about that blue pencil from the books I mentioned but couldn't draw on it when I was talking about using a program to add color/tone. That's really the best advice possible probably.

a blue pencil..sounds like something i should get....then i would only need a red pill to make the imagination flow....(joke)!

ty for the tips!

been quite positive responses so far...

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

a blue pencil..sounds like something i should get....then i would only need a red pill to make the imagination flow....(joke)!

ty for the tips!

been quite positive responses so far...

It's not just any blue, it has to be Non-Photo Blue.  Your best bet is to go to an art supplies store and ask them.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• theyalllietheyalllie Member Posts: 229

im an amateur "artist" that likes to draw cartoon style stuff when bored.

my problem is i rarely get any feedback about the drawings...some say i can draw well...some say i suck!

i like to draw mostly mmo related things,but it would be interesting to see what people really think and get positive or negative feedback.....just saying FFFUUUU you suck wont really make me better.

some constructive criticism might ;)

so if you like to draw or not i would like your opinion..

i have done this picture in the link below with 1 normal pencil and drawn everything from my own imagination and not copyed anything....hoping for some constructive replies!

ty!

http://meduvar.gamerdna.com/images/Ok617Fxe/adventure2-jpg

One nice thing, IMHO, about, Pencil/Carbon/Graphite, etc., is the value it has on shape/contour/depth. 3 view plan, is also something that, the ease of lead drawing, makes infinitly explorable, without many hours of clean up and waste.

But also, it is pure, to an extent, and therefore limitless.

This isn't to say color/pigment, is bad in any way.

I found, that deep exploration with shadow, only enhanced my experience in color, to bring additional life, to those shadows, which in themselves, are a story.

3 view, a basic old school drafting class must (opening up Pen and Ink), and some work with Oils, I feel gives the artist extra awareness or their artistic soul, and can greatly enhance their expression, in whatever medium thay have choosen for any piece of work.

Every soul, is the soul, of an artist. This assignment, should you choose to accept it, is to be one. LoL just had to throw some, Mission Impossible, in there.

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

the detail of some of those creatures are amazing, Mikaboy!

Yeah, I would follow the advice of everyone else....get it colored.

Do you have photoshop?

Like, earthtones would really make it pop.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

i dont have photoshop yet...dont think i even know how to use it..hehe!

i just recently started drawing so im still a noob at all programs that might help me..but i trying to get a wacom board now and a non photo blue pen...

gonna look into photoshop also..but might take a long time until i understand it..and even lo0nger to master it ; )

• TheIllusiveTheIllusive Member Posts: 196

you def. have art skills. I suggest you start learn Anatomy drawing if you want to get into Concept Art. Look arround at conceptartist.org ! great site, and great tuts.

went to the site and saw some amazing artwork...

i will try to progress at my own pace...since those pics are worldclass ; )

practice makes perfect...or artleast better!

the only negative i can see about concept art is that it seems alot more time consuming to get right than regular cartoonish

style where im better at the moment...

maybe when my 1 yo kid is abit older i get more freetime to practice ; )

Just don't forget that there is a market for what you can handle currently. Aiming for making real concept art is a lofty goal that will take years of classes/practice, and in some cases, probably some formal training. As I said before, your stuff is already sunday-comic worthy, and there is nothing wrong with that. If you could find a writer's vien in your arteries you could probably get published on sites like theescapist or in sydicated columns. Get your name out there, then work on getting to whatever you feel is the next step, but imo, 'cartooning' is it's own genre, and it does just fine. You could make a decent living off what you do currently as long as you know how to market yourself, and if you can make the circumstances within the strip funny enough. I recommend aiming for that, at least you'll get the recognition that will get you past the door that real concept artists even have a hard time at.

hm sorry but thats just being to optimistic. Besides the OP WANTS to get into concept art, which I found a great goal considering his already talent for drawing. It will take time yes, but it's fun! and you see progress faster than you think :) just follow your dreams man, you can do it.

Originally posted by TheIllusive

hm sorry but thats just being to optimistic.

He's way better than the Peanuts or Garfield, and those are venerable empires, and have been for a long, long time.

The Noob comics been out for quite some time, and while I dunno how the author does in terms of income from it, the strip itself has a huge following. It's also terrible looking at that, but manages to make a point that clicks with all those fans.

Penny-Arcade, nuff said. (It's not about how good you are, it's about how you market yourself. Life lesson #1)

aye, agree. But what is more important than the layout is the inside, the story, the joke. If you can find someone who is good at that, than you can make a nice little comic. But please dont think that you can make a living out of it in an eyeblink. Many talented people have tried and failed. Those who succeeded worked there butts off.

i dont expect to make a living out of it,...i draw for fun...but if i get better and the opportunity rises i wont say no ..hehe

• FarReachFarReach Member Posts: 229

You're have almost the exact same talent level as me as well as almost identical styles. Here is the only thing I can find uploaded on the computer to prove it, just a doodle that I didn't spend much time on. With that in mind, yes you can "draw" but you are not very good. I realized this a few years ago and it was kinda depressing at the time. But, I still draw for fun and for my own benefit. I don't really show anyone, because mostly what I do is doodles, but I still like doing it for myself. 

However, with some training you might be able to reach the level of being a professional concept artist IF you could find work doing it. Even finding work semi-professionally is very hard and you have to get your name out there. I have been told countless times, in my life, by professional artists and art professors, that I have more talent than probably 90% of the people who get into art degrees.

Personally I've wanted to take some classes, but I've never found time.  I opted out of an Art Degree for something else, because there I knew there just simply isn't a market in it and it would have probably been a waste of my time. I know a guy who graduated last May in the degree I would have chosen, who just signed up for the Army as an Officer in Nov. He had been looking for a job and was willing to move anywhere, but I don't think he ever was even called in or asked to submit a portfolio. Not really sure how that all works for Art majors, but I do know he never really got far with anyone he tried to apply with. He was very good.

yeah i know it is very hard to make a living on drawing stuff...that's why i have my real job..hehe

the reason i posted the first time was to see if people thought i could maybe get somewhere with my art...and with somewhere i didnt particularly think about getting signed for something...but mostly if they think i have the talent to improve and be "good" at it.

if everyone would have said you suck man....then i would know i cant even make pics or strips thatt people will enjoy..

im fine if i never get professional at this.. but if i can entertain or even make a few happy with my drawings that is fine.

if i have talent then it is atleast something...a football player who is a talent and never gets to play wont really improve unless he plays more...and in the end if he has practiced hard enough he might become something...and again maybe not!

but if you dont try ...you never find out ; )