Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost all games all base on xp dx9.0c PC is losing bigtime:(

2»

Comments

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406

I'm currently playing WoW, which is only available on PC/Mac and as far as I know, it's the most successful mmo of all time...

PC isn't loosing in my world. It's still king. I don't play shitty x-box and ps3 games, so I could care less.  Until a fantastic MMO is made for consoles that actually plays worth a damn, I think the PC market is pretty safe.

-PS - I've trying some of the shit "mmos" for xbox 360 and there's no comparison to the pc experience. We'll see how DC Universe does. 

• JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430

better tech does not equal better fun. especially when better tech usually means just more shinies.

• JackcoltJackcolt Member UncommonPosts: 2,170

http://adrianwerner.wordpress.com/games-of-2010/

There. Now please fuck off with the whole "n0 gaemz for pc". It's simply not true. While the AAA titles generally are ports, there are plenty of developers out there doing PC stuff. Also, it's mostly hot air in this thread. Can someone show me a fucking chart depicting the decline in games sold on the PC (including digital downloads?)

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Don't you know that games only take a year to design/make/market/at a shelf to sell? /sarcasm

Win7/DX11 has been out how long? And didn't the whole DX10 and 10.1 being fairly different cause a whole heap of other issues?

Also, "Yeah, lets ignore the 30% of the market! That'll be good business!" LMAO.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

Direct X 9c is the renderer most games use as a base along. Direct X 10 is a DirectX9 optimizer that has some features which work with HDR together. 10.1 forces you to run x4 AA. Direct X 11 fixes problems with Direct X 10 presented with combining technologies and adds Field of Depth and Tesselation.

When running a game in Direct X 11 mode, you are asking for all the advanced graphic features like tesselation and really hardware physics as well which ties into Direct X 11 as well with higher optimization for it than Direct X 9c. When you aren't running a game in Direct X 11 or you set a game to low settings, the game defaults to DirectX9c. This is smart since it allows you to keep Direct X9, 10. 10.1 and 11 with your choice on what to use. Direct X 9s greatest strength was Dynamic Lighting. :)

PC gaming is very strong to the point that 40% of Console Gaming Libraries are now PC game ports and the most popular console multiplayer games are now games that were ported from PCs. You go to any forumboard and people only really talk about the multiplayer console games that also exist on PC. You hardly hear talk of "Japanese multiplayer games" in Nintendo and Sony being very popular, and the ones that are hold popularity for a short period of time.

2010 was also the year that Direct X 11 was surpassed by OpenGL. It was also the year that the amount of Linux users on the world market share not counting the people who use Linux to run servers surpassed Mac OS X. It was also the year that WINE pretty much reinvented itself.....where Direct X9c to 11 really started challenging and making a killing against some windows gaming. Finally, it was the very first year that SLI technologies on Linux made it so that on practically any game played on Linux that works on Wine + Linux gave a full playable framerate (60+) and had far less overhead than running a Windows System. :) Specially all the money Microsoft and Apple spent to actually suppress the information from the web in September and October. ^_^

Consoles are what are in trouble.

Xbox360 is so close to a PC that any game can be ported to PC without any problems. Read any page on gamestop.com or ebgames.com to a console and you find a lot of those games are games made for PCs. Owning a PS3 means you have to also buy and own a PSP in order for you to play through a whole series of games. In fact you also have to own a computer too and be living in Japan since even if you buy some content, if you dont have a Japanese IP address you don't have access to some of it.

Consoles became so much closer to PC that they "lost" their Console abilities, but did not become PCs. Consoles today are neither consoles nor PCs. They are a platform in between both and have lost their identities. There are far less console games today and while many flock to console games for singleplayers, the world's multiplayer games and greater bulk of singleplayers on PC went to Consoles as well in 2010.

Don't get me wrong, I like Consoles, but I also bought consoles for the RIGHT to play Console-Exclusive Games. In short, games that only exist on that platform and no others get as a reward for the people who bought and stuck with a console. That doesn't happen much anymore. Of course that is a different philosophy altogether but a legitimate argument.

Japanese games are going handheld, and remember that Sony and Nintendo and the "Console Idea" is Japanese in Origin. They are also going the way of smart-phones with less console games being made and more Handheld games being made for wider audiences and even more controlled information. Xbox360 doesn't suffer as much since its titles are mostly PC ports to an audience that doesnt want to spend tons on PCs and want a compromise between pure consoles and pure PC performance.

So I have no real Idea what you are talking about or even stating in your opening post. As a computer scientist and game mapper/modder and someone who loves running game servers and analizing the market. Someone who knows that PC game engines are superior to console game engines in their maintainance and abilities as well as base code, I really don't know what the basis of your argument really is. I see 2011 - 2020 as the next "big decade" with all the groundwork placed in 2001 - 2010 which has gone to the plan of the industry.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666

Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

Look at this: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

It is a hardware survey from Steam. PC gaming is still growing, and keeps on growing. I have a feeling you don't even know what Steam is, or if you know, you never used it properly.

Edit: And seriously, I'm Dutch as well, no clue what you are on about. PC gaming is going online, game magazines are going online. EVERYTHING is going online. I know, caves are comfy, but you shouldn't live in one.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Originally posted by causs

Dude, what the hell are you talking about?

Look at this: http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

It is a hardware survey from Steam. PC gaming is still growing, and keeps on growing. I have a feeling you don't even know what Steam is, or if you know, you never used it properly.

Edit: And seriously, I'm Dutch as well, no clue what you are on about. PC gaming is going online, game magazines are going online. EVERYTHING is going online. I know, caves are comfy, but you shouldn't live in one.

Those are pretty intresting any scrary results. Specialy on software...

Steam is one of my favorite services, not too good to give all games in hands of one provider, but it's just so easy and covenient. And this realy don't differ much from consoles, you can get banned and there isn't much you can do about that...

No AAA? Hmm, Starcraft 2?

Digital is day's word, still PC gaming won't die, there is strong indie support and also the Eastern Europeans make bit different games... Also, PC is the power house behind development of new tech.  PC won't die in long time, maybe when we fully move to thin clients and clouds, but then too there is people who make own software.

Sadest thing with PCs is the increase of the cost, there is more and more need to play it safe which ends up at search of minium factor and some time from now on we end up with World of Farmville...