Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My MMO Resolutions for 2011

RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

1.  No more funding wow clones.  Each successive game tries to emulate WoW.  I've decided that if I do play a wow clone I will play wow.....and I tried that recently and was bored to tears in hours.

2.  Companies who offer a subscription service will be moved up my priority and interest list.  Companies who offer the "f2p" model will move down.  Gimmicks will always be gimmicks.  At the end of the day there is a service and I either want to subscribe or not.....just give it to me straight up. F2p: A way to reap more rewards off internet addicts.

3.  Demand more.  Its 2011 and a lot of the features that have become staple in mmos are the very same things that force the classificiation as wow clones.  The stories need to get better and they have to be more than killX collectX.  Someone with an imagination needs to write some good content. 

4.  Lower my expectations.  Breathe taking vistas are staple items now.  I just want realistic mob placement and to attack ai that responds if you are wacking on his mate 3 feet away.

5.  Support the non-voip community if there is one.  I can't use voip but i dont think it should be the end of mmo gaming.

6.  Support mmo communities that support the players.  The same thing always happens as sites and communities grow and shift.  Where is Lum the Mad's successor? or are we all those vocal successors?

Happy new year and train to zone.

Comments

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

My resolution not to read topics like these anymore and enjoy the hell out of TERA, SWTOR, RIFT, DCUO and GW2. Happy gaming all and happy new year.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I only have one for myself:

1. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T PREORDER AND WAIT WITH JUMPING IN UNTIL AT LEAST 2 MONTHS AFTER LAUNCH! Check what people are writing about the game then.

But I'm afraid I will probably have broken that resolution by februari, hehe.

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

1. Do not pre-order every MMO that comes out in the hope of finding that next one that will hold me for years.

2. Do not spend hours and hours researching everything about a game so I know the majority of the story before I even play the thing.

3. Do not activeley beta games after countless games and 1000s of bug reports since 01, 2011 will be the year where i use them as a simply a sneak peak and a final decision on ordering or not.

4. Do not buy overpirced crappy CE's that offer nothing than a fluff item in game that usually ends up as a vet reward anyway.

5. Do not sub for more than 30 days unfortunately I'm a miser so I think I'm getting a good deal when I sub for 3 or 6 months and generally I've quit long before that.

6. no longer play a poor game (looking at you Aion) with the excuse of well its the best of a bad bunch.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

This is an easy one: 1. Never preorder and 2. Never buy a game without a free trial.

Never again will I put a dime towards hype.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Be more careful about preordering games and never believe the hype.

• kirak2009kirak2009 Member UncommonPosts: 543

1. quit smoking

2. eat better

3. Lower expections on new releases.

and finally and most importantly

Enjoy the journey in whatever game I am playing.

"All expectation leads to suffering" Buhhda

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

Originally posted by pierth

This is an easy one: 1. Never preorder and 2. Never buy a game without a free trial.

Never again will I put a dime towards hype.

+1

So What Now?

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

I won't buy into the hype of anymore without trying the games themselves. I learned my lesson after the FFXIV Collector's Edition.

That, and to enjoy Ultima until a decent sandbox that doesn't involve piloting a ship comes out (looking at Earthrise, hoping to see Arche Age sooner than later)

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Rekindle

1.  No more funding wow clones.  Each successive game tries to emulate WoW.  I've decided that if I do play a wow clone I will play wow.....and I tried that recently and was bored to tears in hours.

2.  Companies who offer a subscription service will be moved up my priority and interest list.  Companies who offer the "f2p" model will move down.  Gimmicks will always be gimmicks.  At the end of the day there is a service and I either want to subscribe or not.....just give it to me straight up. F2p: A way to reap more rewards off internet addicts.

3.  Demand more.  Its 2011 and a lot of the features that have become staple in mmos are the very same things that force the classificiation as wow clones.  The stories need to get better and they have to be more than killX collectX.  Someone with an imagination needs to write some good content. 

4.  Lower my expectations.  Breathe taking vistas are staple items now.  I just want realistic mob placement and to attack ai that responds if you are wacking on his mate 3 feet away.

5.  Support the non-voip community if there is one.  I can't use voip but i dont think it should be the end of mmo gaming.

6.  Support mmo communities that support the players.  The same thing always happens as sites and communities grow and shift.  Where is Lum the Mad's successor? or are we all those vocal successors?

Happy new year and train to zone.

#1 ive been doing since 2 months after the release of vanilla wow

#2 i think the F2P are total BS, you end up paying more than 15$/month to be on par with the world, on the other hand Fremium (DDO and LOTRO) are another story all together, i will still get on board with these. since i can choose to play at my own speed (costing me less than 15$/month) or if i want everything i can sub for 15$/month.

3# indeed, any new MMO i try will have to be exceptional, i currently play eve online. and its currently the most technologically advanced and inovative MMO out there (granted its not for everyone but it does not make the argument false) im tired of the old quest systems linear themepark system and the sandboxes out there lack "tools" or "game mechanics" i need something new, challenging for the noggin (brain), and fun

#4 you are contradicting yourself with #3bud 

#5 never going to happen team speak and ventrilo are in fact crucial nowadays and its not going away, hell LOTRO and EVE have integrated voice comms and i never use them because A its atachedto the client, client crashes you loose all comms and 2 it laggs bad. 3rd party VOIP will always remain and there is nothing that the devs OR the people can do about it, hell i remember back when i played EQ and UO, i used to sometimes use the phone (parents hated it)

#6 what? 

ill add #7 never pre order a game before it launches. (well withthe exception of guild wars 2, since im a fan of guildwars 1 and even if it sucks i want it)

#8 play more with the girlfriend

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I'm not going to make any mmo resolutions.  I'm just hoping for a good game to play in 2011.  Nothing right now seems very compelling. I keep thinking, if only....if only...

Brand new rig, time and money to burn, but no mmo or any game that I want to play at the moment.  The excitement and fun of gaming seems to have left me.  Atleast that's how i feel right now.

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

2011 MMOs > 2010 MMOs

Hello Kitty Online > FFXIV

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

Originally posted by Terranah

I'm not going to make any mmo resolutions.  I'm just hoping for a good game to play in 2011.  Nothing right now seems very compelling. I keep thinking, if only....if only...

Brand new rig, time and money to burn, but no mmo or any game that I want to play at the moment.  The excitement and fun of gaming seems to have left me.  Atleast that's how i feel right now.

Im with you man, I feel the same way entirely.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

2011 = Find something to play that's actually fun.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • OcirusskdOcirusskd Member Posts: 212

lol, i posted this in happy new year aswell :).

My goal for 2011 is to make one of the four games (Rift, Tera, Swtor, and gw2 assuming it releases in 2011) work. I’m going back to the mindset I had when I was a newbie gamer on eq and get out of my own way.

I’ve became spoiled and stopped looking at a game for what they offer, but instead my opinion is flooded with thoughts of what a game is missing.  Many of the issues of the old school games would be a deal breaker for me today as minor irritations then have become major issues for me today. 

I’m tired of the bouncing from bad game to bad  game because of the type of selfish gamer I have become, and I’m going to break the cycle, hopefully ill find a home that in another 10 years ill have the same nostalgia that I do for eq , swg and so on.

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Ocirusskd

My goal for 2011 is to make one of the four games (Rift, Tera, Swtor, and gw2 assuming it releases in 2011) work. I’m going back to the mindset I had when I was a newbie gamer on eq and get out of my own way.

I’ve became spoiled and stopped looking at a game for what they offer, but instead my opinion is flooded with thoughts of what a game is missing.  Many of the issues of the old school games would be a deal breaker for me today as minor irritations then have become major issues for me today. 

I’m tired of the bouncing from bad game to bad  game because of the type of selfish gamer I have become, and I’m going to break the cycle, hopefully ill find a home that in another 10 years ill have the same nostalgia that I do for eq , swg and so on.

so this is what MMOs have come to,

real gamers just giving up and having to accept mediocrity at best. 

ya look at mortal online or final fantasy, christ! they had hype like there was no tomorrow, and look at how they turned out. look at APB, or whats that other game, that shut down almost as soon as it was released, 

new games that are comming out are not games anymore, they are just pass times. the only game that actually has some chance at a future hope (if the devs keep working at it are darkfall and eve online) others, even if successful are not

i for one will increase my expectations of games, the only game i will buy is guild wars 2 just because im a fan of the original GW1+exp and ive been reading the lore and everything, even if the game ends up sucking im getting it just to say that i have the full collection (yes im getting the collectors)

but anything else has to be top of the line masterpiece for me to change from eve online (and maybe ill purchase darkfall just because i think with time it has potential)

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

1) Not resubscribe to WoW- Every single WoW expansion is the same exact thing. New level cap, couple new BGs and 5 mans to grind until you can raid grind. Nothing new just repackaged in a different color. I probably won't meet this one cause I will get nostalgic eventually and get pangs to play. I really wish Blizzard had real competition cause I feel there is no other MMO worth while atm.

2) Don't buy into hype. This includes no pre orders. WAR and AoC burned me bad in the past. FF14 as well, although I didn't buy it I played the beta and knew it was a disaster. I shouldn't have a problem meeting this one, I hate star wars, Rift looks like garbage to me from the videos I've seen. Guild Wars 2 looks promising but I must fight the urge, I'm more a PvE players then PvP so it would have to have amazing uninstanced PvP.

3)????

4) Profit.

• bastionixbastionix Member Posts: 547

Originally posted by Rekindle

Good luck combining 1 and 2. Considering all innovation is coming from F2P games right now.

• OcirusskdOcirusskd Member Posts: 212

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

Originally posted by Ocirusskd

so this is what MMOs have come to,

real gamers just giving up and having to accept mediocrity at best. 

ya look at mortal online or final fantasy, christ! they had hype like there was no tomorrow, and look at how they turned out. look at APB, or whats that other game, that shut down almost as soon as it was released, 

new games that are comming out are not games anymore, they are just pass times. the only game that actually has some chance at a future hope (if the devs keep working at it are darkfall and eve online) others, even if successful are not

i for one will increase my expectations of games, the only game i will buy is guild wars 2 just because im a fan of the original GW1+exp and ive been reading the lore and everything, even if the game ends up sucking im getting it just to say that i have the full collection (yes im getting the collectors)

but anything else has to be top of the line masterpiece for me to change from eve online (and maybe ill purchase darkfall just because i think with time it has potential.

Lol, it has nothing to do with giving up or settling for a mediocre game. It has do with my mentality, how I approach games, and setting myself up to actually enjoy a game for the game it is, instead of constantly obsessing over what the game is lacking or should be. My goal is to have fun in games this year and to break my pessimistic point of view that I have developed over the last few years.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

It seems such a simple resolution, No pre-orders, wait 2 months, and read the reviews...

As a lifetime subscriber to Star Trek Online i can certainly relate to the fustrations, what a horrible year for MMO's (though i did enjoy the great FF14 disaster, hilarious, and Sq-Enix had it coming). Despite that however i find myself contemplating buying the RIFT CE,  as i enjoyed the last Beta so much, maybe i need an intervention?