Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMOs "What We Want"

vackvack Member Posts: 56

I've been reading a lot of the forums here as of late, and what I see as a common theme, is "What We Want".  It's being used to describe games currently available, games in beta, games pre beta, games on the drawing board.  So all the "What We Want" plus the Holiday season, brought me to start this thread about just that.........

What Do We Want Exactly?  Honestly I'm not sure we know.  i read these threads and it seems people talk in circles, and at the root of it we seem to think we know what we want, yet I'm not sure we actually do.  I mean, I hear we want innovation, and not another WoW clone....yet we faithfully log into WoW, and it's clones on a daily basis.  Those from the DAOC crowd, say we want RVR, and better PVP, yet we still don't log into the best RVR/PVP game on the market currently, we're still stuck in the WoW, and WoW clone game.

So with all this reading I've come up with a Hypothesis.  I've come to this educated guess by digging deep into what I want as an avid MMO Gamer.  And simply put, I want a game that I can call home, a game that myself and the guild I'm a part of can be comfortable in.  We all have different tastes, but in the end we all want the community we experienced in past games, the pvp we had there, the epic dungeons, etc. 

So for 2011 I for one am going to try to be more constructive and more open when I view posts and reviews on games. 

Happy New Year

Vack

Vack
FF XIV - the single worse game to cross my hard drive, ever.

Comments

• ImixZinzImixZinz Member CommonPosts: 553

W.C Fields would ask if you had a mouse in your pocket.

• PlasmicredxPlasmicredx Member Posts: 629

Actually, I have logged out of WoW and cancelled my account and haven't played since August, or July.

I'm not 100% sure of what I actually want from MMOs, but it has entirely to do with the imbalance of end game for me.

I don't want to participate in the WoW formula end game. At first it's okay, everyone is running around in the same gear. That's when I have the most fun. Then as the end game progresses in time, everyone is eventually running around in Arthas' sword but me and I get oneshot in PvP. Same thing in PvE, I enter 5 man heroics in my awesome 5 man heroic pve gear with my awesome PvE spec, but everyone gets pissed off and tells me how bad my gear is because of how awesome their heroid raid gear is. So I log out and cancel my sub. The game sucks, man.

I wish MMOs would go back to my favorite days, when the best gear wasn't so imbalanced and everyone could play and contribute to anything. Now it's all about wanting to kick players out of groups for not having the best gear.

Originally posted by vack

Those from the DAOC crowd, say we want RVR, and better PVP, yet we still don't log into the best RVR/PVP game on the market currently, we're still stuck in the WoW, and WoW clone game.

Happy New Year

Vack

Biggest reason I don't log back into DAoC:

Mythic completely changed the game to be like WoW.

Also, I tried playing and subscribing multiple times already. The population is dead. Logging back and waiting for more players to log back in is not going to help. It's just going to make me really depressed. I don't want to play an empty game that turned its back on me by implementing the very raid system I was trying to get away from in EverQuest in WoW.

In a different historical timeline where Dark Age of Camelot stayed with a true massively multiplayer end game system, I would have kept playing and subscribing, because it would be a game that I can still play.

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

I agree, many of us just want a game we can call home.  I made the mistake of leaving my home for the ultra talked about WoW,  I then got lost in it for long enough where my old game started to slowly die off.   Going back to a dying game is not so great and being behind the curve is not so great either.  Themepark games are just not the type of games you can call home unless you were introduced to the genre on themepark games.  Which explains a lot about the current situation.

Originally posted by zereelist

Going back to a dying game is not so great and being behind the curve is not so great either.

It also sucks if your home itself completely changes their game to be JUST LIKE the games you were avoiding. So your home gets taken over and you were forced to leave your home. With no other home to go to.

• TheIllusiveTheIllusive Member Posts: 196

We just have to wait till some game company decides to actually brainstorm on an MMO instead of looking at WoW. A company (with a bright creative frontman)  that is devoted to creating his vision for an MMO.

Luckily we have technology on our side.

Moore's law  means that computing power doubles every 2 year. Even if the majority plays WoW on 6-8 yo pc's, eventually and

I think 2-6 years people will have to buy a new pc. By the time they do that PC's even have more integrated GPU/CPU power than now found in an expensive PC.

With new technology comes Freedom. Freedom to develop, to serve the Creator's vision.

Originally posted by TheIllusive

We just have to wait till some game company decides to actually brainstorm on an MMO instead of looking at WoW. A company (with a bright creative frontman)  that is devoted to creating his vision for an MMO.

Luckily we have technology on our side.

Moore's law  means that computing power doubles every 2 year. Even if the majority plays WoW on 6-8 yo pc's, eventually and

I think 2-6 years people will have to buy a new pc. By the time they do that PC's even have more integrated GPU/CPU power than now found in an expensive PC.

With new technology comes Freedom. Freedom to develop, to serve the Creator's vision.

I wish I could create my own MMORPG...

I would just base the game design entirely off of allowing players to play how ever they want to play. I hear a lot of people don't like Paul Barnett, but he had a ton of funny quotes, right or wrong. One of them was something or other along the lines of that the best games were the ones that tell you to go one direction, but you chose to go another, the game allowed you to do so and then rewarded you for it. That pretty much sums up all of my favorite games I've ever played in one sentence.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

I just hate the grind in mmos, the go fetch quests and the go 10 kill bears type quests.

• erebus890erebus890 Member Posts: 46

I want an MMORPG that ACTUALLY has you play a role... There is no RPG in MMO's...

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

What Do We Want Exactly?  Honestly I'm not sure we know.  i read these threads and it seems people talk in circles, and at the root of it we seem to think we know what we want, yet I'm not sure we actually do.  I mean, I hear we want innovation, and not another WoW clone....yet we faithfully log into WoW, and it's clones on a daily basis.  Those from the DAOC crowd, say we want RVR, and better PVP, yet we still don't log into the best RVR/PVP game on the market currently, we're still stuck in the WoW, and WoW clone game.

Vack

That's because there is no "we".

The MMO community, in my opinion, consists of individuals with widely ranging preferences on MMOs.  Some people have some preferences in common, while those same people will have differing opinions as well.

One set wants a totally open world.  Another likes the gameplay allowable with instances.

One group loves PvP and wants a game to revolve around it.  Another hates it.

What one group demands, another is vehemently against, because the two groups love diametrically opposed systems.

Invariably, a single game can only cater to some of the MMO community.  The ones that dislike what it offers will proclaim it another failure - primarily because it does not cater to their set of preferences.

There is no we.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Rohn

Vack

That's because there is no "we".
    The MMO community, in my opinion, consists of individuals with widely ranging preferences on MMOs.  Some people have some preferences in common, while those same people will have differing opinions as well.
    One set wants a totally open world.  Another likes the gameplay allowable with instances.
    One group loves PvP and wants a game to revolve around it.  Another hates it.
    What one group demands, another is vehemently against, because the two groups love diametrically opposed systems.
    Invariably, a single game can only cater to some of the MMO community.  The ones that dislike what it offers will proclaim it another failure - primarily because it does not cater to their set of preferences.
    There is no we.

I don't know about "we", but what I want is a very large game world with content that does cater to several different MMO tastes. You'd have a Farmville area, then you'd have the partially explored zones that would operate more like a themepark, then you'd have the "unexplored" open zones that operate more like sandboxes and you'd have sea based versions of the above. It would be several games rolled into one.

I expect it won't happen until aliens come down and give up some wicked fast quantum computer technology, and it leaks out of the military's hands. But I can dream. Heck, at this point, I'd settle for a game that had just 2 different play styles working together.

Oh, also it would either have a Wild, Wild West theme with Victorian Steampunk and zombies or it would be a contemporary/near future Urban Fantasy setting (and zombies). That's all. Wait...a post zombie apocalypse setting would work too. Now that's all.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by TheIllusive

Every new and old developer really needs to read these two sentences over and over again when trying to create a new MMORPG.. 

I'm sick of every developer trying to copy WoW but with a small little twist.. They have all failed miserably. WoW is WoW, no other game can be a true clone and call itself a better game.. People aren't really that stupid and won't be fooled. You may fool them for a little while but as soon as they get their hands on the game, they usually end up sickened by how similar it really is to WoW, but not as polished..

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

What we want is an end to threads based upon the premise that we all want the same thing.

[/sarcasm]

The reason why players can't all agree on what "we" want is that different people want different things.

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

All I want is a game that is enjoyable to play with friends, and the better the game the more people (potential friends) will play.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

I looked at my desktop and looked at all the games I have on there. 12 MMO's and not one I truly want to play. There are a few I would play to pass the time but nothing that would keep me satisfied for a long period of time. AoC...Aion...DAoC....RIFT (beta)....DCUniverse (beta)....Mortal Online...Darkfall.... Eve...WoW....GW....FFXI...FFXIV....Vindictus...Warhammer....Dawntide...

You get the picture. All of those games have one thing going for them that makes them stand out from the others. Aion with its winged combat. DCUniverse with its action style gameplay. MO and Darkfall sandboxes. Eve being a space sandbox. I am a sandbox gamer. Unfortunately the only games that are sanboxy just do not appeal. Darkfall with its massive skill grind. Mortal, I would definately be playing this game to the fullest if it wasn't broken almost beyond repair. Client side hit  detection is never going to work for a FPS style sandbox MMO, Hendrick is to ridiculously stupid to understand that.

I want a working sandbox. Thats it. A sandbox game done right for hardcore gamers. A sandox my guild and I can go into and lose ourselves in the world around us to only be slaughtered by one time world bosses. Bosses that require large amounts of players to defeat. A sandbox with territory control and the ability to build where and when we want with whatever tools the devs have for buildings at there disposal. If an NPC can create it why can't players? Of course resources will scale to what you can and cant build and only the most insane hardcore gamers are going to get that true city created. Why not reward your players for there dedication?

The MMO industry has become a cesspool of failures ever since they started catering to casual gamers. FFXIV casual friendly failure beyond failure would be the most extreme of these examples. While hardcore games have succeded in the past and only need to have that formula redone the right way by companies big enough to develop a working game.

Darkfall and MO were both done by Indie companies and in my mind failed to reach out to there target audiences because of grind, or bugs. Lets make it clear now, so people don't say your contradicting yourself by saying hardcore and then saying to grindy. A massive grind doesn't make a game hardcore. It makes it a grind. Hardcore gamers and casual gamers a like don't want to see huge grinds. We want content to knock our socks off. For some reason publishers just don't understand or don't want to understand.

Lets take a look back at some of the older games that were industry hall of famers in my mind.

Ultima Online. Nobody can dispute this game was a hall of famer. Sandbox for the hardcore.

Star Wars Galaxies. Sandbox.

Ryzom. Sandbox

DAoC. Sandbox.

Everquest. Wouldnt consider it a sandbox on the same level as UO and the rest but this was still a game that had its features that would knock peoples socks off.

Eve. Hall of Famer. Industry changing sandbox. Persistent world Space Sandbox. Definately made for Hardcore gamers in mind.

We need a game for the more mature crowd. Kids sorry, but you gots to go. Go play something else and leave us old schoolers alone. Nothing I can't stand more then a whiney kid on Global Chat. That brings up another point...Whoever thought of Global Chat needs to be shot in the head. I have never liked that idea. Sure, you can turn it off. But in the back of your mind you know its still there helping ruin the game.

Really didn't mean for this to become a rant like this but hey.... I dont post very much and can rant once or twice I suppose...

In all inclusivness, I just want another sandbox to lose myself in, with maybe a little bit of new spice. Like Global one time bosses. Meaning killing them and they never come back. Player housing to be brought to a new level. Being able to create any structure an NPC can. Death Penatly to come back the way it should be. Not just some thing you go to a soul healer and pay off. Theres a new game called Arche Age coming out that has an interesting look into death penalty that involves jail time and continous PK marks you as a Rogue to all factions. This is one game I am hoping brings all my wishes into the light.

Dont get the wrong idea. I'm not trying to take anything away from casual gamers. There are a lot of games out there now that are trying to cater to your looks for a MMO. The industry is changing in that direction for good or worse. But the hardcore want there sandboxes back. Stupid ignorant publishers keep screwing with our games. SOE and EA I am looking at you. So while you guys have your games, ours keep falling out of our grasps and ruined.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• ScribZScribZ Member Posts: 424

Originally posted by erebus890

I want an MMORPG that ACTUALLY has you play a role... There is no RPG in MMO's...

This is what I'm talking about right here. I am sick of all the MMOs out there right now. I want an MMORPG again. This entire genre started out from the RPG world, from the PnP games, evolved from the MUDs, MUSHs, and MOOs. And someplace along the lines (WoW happened) and we lost the RPG for the profitability of the MMO itself. The genre become more about the number of active subs and less about the experience of the Role Playing Game.

So yeah, get rid of the MMOs and bring back the MMORPGs again in 2011. Stop worrying about how many people you can get to sub up and make a game thats all about 'the game'!