Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

rift newest beta patch and its company blew me away.

2»

Comments

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

If your looking for more of the same old same old.  Rifts is not that bad of an option.  I think a lot of people are looking for that/  This game will do pretty well.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by gotha

If your looking for more of the same old same old.  Rifts is not that bad of an option.  I think a lot of people are looking for that/  This game will do pretty well.

I know I like ice cream, but it's always good to try a different flavour, especially if it's Haagen Daz.

Not talking about you Goth, but the fact that so many attack this title for being a traditional MMO with some evolutions is silly to me... it's like wanting a driving game, buying NFS, and then complaining it has driving in it...

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

Originally posted by terroni
    I dunno. I keep hearing about the "polish". I don't hear much about how fun it is.

I had a great deal of fun. People are more impressed with the level of polish though because the last dozen or so games that launched really haven't had any polish and weren't ready for release in the broadest sense of the word. Except for server hardware rift could release today and it would be less buggy and more polished than any other release in the last year.

Thats an impressive feat in the cluster that modern mmo releases are becoming.

Shadus

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

Originally posted by vesavius

Originally posted by gotha

I know I like ice cream, but it's always good to try a different flavour, especially if it's Haagen Daz.

Not talking about you Goth, but the fact that so many attack this title for being a traditional MMO with some evolutions is silly to me... it's like wanting a driving game, buying NFS, and then complaining it has driving in it...

I think it's mainly due to the much debated "next-gen" marketing.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Polished, absolutely. Pre-order, maybe. Collectors Edition, never; it's just a way to nickle & dime.

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

Originally posted by DoomsDay01

The game does look pretty good. I was running it in 1920x1200 with everything maxed out and it was really nice. I only got to play for 1 day and only made level 10 on an elementalist. Was pretty fun, kinda reminded me of the mage back in EQ1 except these pets seem to hold agro a lot better lol. I agree from what I have seen that the game feels pretty polished. Now, since this was the end of the beta period I don't know if they spawned all those portals for testing or what, but there was so many portals that it made questing very hard. This game has gone on my watch list and may get try it out when it releases but that is going to depend on release dates of other games that I am waiting on.

One of the server messages after they spawned all of the Death Rifts was essentially an 'Uh-Oh'. I think they were attempting to stress the number of mobs and characters you can have on the screen.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Polished, absolutely. Pre-order, maybe. Collectors Edition, never; it's just a way to nickle & dime.

Depends on the price, is it 10 bucks higher, or is it more.  If its 10, the 8gig flash drive is worth that alone.

Then again, wait a couple months and the CE wil be dirt cheap I imagine(Bought my AoC CE for 15bucks for example)

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Originally posted by kilun

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Depends on the price, is it 10 bucks higher, or is it more.  If its 10, the 8gig flash drive is worth that alone.

Then again, wait a couple months and the CE wil be dirt cheap I imagine(Bought my AoC CE for 15bucks for example)

Got my vanguard one for 49p :)

• ghaianaghaiana Member UncommonPosts: 106

I liked the beta, I mostly liked the events, even though the server crashed once the last day. I think Rift is a mix of many MMO's (Warhammer, EQ2, WoW) but not a bad one. 

• DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223

My favorite part is the Dev's paying attention to what we want.  Everyone of the issues we had with various classes or some of the other world stuff has been fixed and improved on between beta 1 and beta 2, beta 3 they even did more based on what we wanted.  if there is a thread on the forums on something we want they seem to cater to us if there is enough people wanting... heck even the beta extended we all begged to extend it and they even annoced it in the game that because we all wanted it they gave us more time :)  The funny systems messages during world raids poking fun at the realm for getting its arse handed to them was great. 

Alot of the negitive feed back seems to be more focused on this has nothing new... the game was built based on eveyrthing that works for current mmo's that have been sucessful and brought into 1 great game.  The rift system is new, more a war 2.0 like many say, and lets not forget that the testing was only the first 20 levels in the first starter zone, there are 15 more large zones to go and they are alot bigger than the 1st.   The new car smell is always nice, I prefer to get on board form the get go rather than later because if the game does suceed Id rather be playig with the top than come in later and have my ass handed to me by all the raid geared/pvp geared vets.    Worst case if the game does end up being a sham like AOC you can always cancel your sub... whats 40-70$ today.. the price of a movie for 2? or dinner out 1 night... Im sure I can afford it if it doesnt work out.

And like the 1 poster says there will always be green grass on the other side.... games will keep coming and coming... you can wiat forever for that 1 game, but may as well enjoy the worlds in between, who knows maybe you will stay?

• AzzkickaAzzkicka Member Posts: 157

I find it really quite funny how people are talking about how much the game has improved and miracle patches etc.

I've played sine Beta 1 (and really enjoyed it) but honestly the game hasn't changed that much.  The only really significant changes have been the micro que system which makes combat feel smoother, and the extra points.  Both of which have been really nice, but hardly game breaking stuff that makes the game feel 100% different.

I think you guys are just imagining big changes to the game to make yourselves feel better about liking this "generic non innovative wow clone" as everybody on mmorpg calls it.

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by Azzkicka

I find it really quite funny how people are talking about how much the game has improved and miracle patches etc.

I've played sine Beta 1 (and really enjoyed it) but honestly the game hasn't changed that much.  The only really significant changes have been the micro que system which makes combat feel smoother, and the extra points.  Both of which have been really nice, but hardly game breaking stuff that makes the game feel 100% different.

I think you guys are just imagining big changes to the game to make yourselves feel better about liking this "generic non innovative wow clone" as everybody on mmorpg calls it.

Are you sure? or you missed th two gigantic patches? game has improved a lot , or you want me to copy paste patch notes for you? trust me changes are not just our imagination.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

Originally posted by Paradoxy

Are you sure? or you missed th two gigantic patches? game has improved a lot , or you want me to copy paste patch notes for you? trust me changes are not just our imagination.

I've seen the patches.  Most of the changes were soul balance changes.

I dont tihnk the feel of the game has changed at all since Beta 1.  The combat feels a bit smoother, and multi-classing works better now.

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

I dont tihnk the feel of the game has changed at all since Beta 1.  The combat feels a bit smoother, and multi-classing works better now.

Considering souls is one of the basic aspects of game how can it be anything but minor or little. You should read the patch notes again because it had lots of changes along with soul balance. I can copy paste it here but it will take lot of space.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?12539-Beta-2-Patch-Notes-12-16-10

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?15855-Beta-3-Patch-Notes-12-27-10

I have been in lots of closed betas but never saw devs so quick in releasing such huge patches.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

There hasn't been much to fix honestly, other than what they have already. The feel of the game and atmosphere need no changes in my opinion. Other than optimization and a few UI tweaks still needed, i'm more than happy so far. Perhaps it has to do with me dealing with SE for 6 years and their zero communication policy.

Considering souls is one of the basic aspects of game how can it be anything but minor or little. You should read the patch notes again because it had lots of changes along with soul balance. I can copy paste it here but it will take lot of space.

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?12539-Beta-2-Patch-Notes-12-16-10

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?15855-Beta-3-Patch-Notes-12-27-10

I have been in lots of closed betas but never saw devs so quick in releasing such huge patches.

I think you are mis-understanding what im saying here.

I love the game, and have loved it since Beta 1.

However the core feel of the game has not changed, and the game still feels and plays as it did at the start of Beta 1 with the addition of smoother combat and better multi-souling.

Most of the disappointment in these forums was/is on core game play that has not changed since Beta 1.  Yet all these people are talking about miracles patches that have completely fixed these things and how the game is better now b/c of it.

But the reality is these things are still largely the same.