Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class balance is bad?

Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 Member Posts: 647

Yo I heard its the same guy who fuk up warhammer class balance is in charge of producing this game, how is class balance so far?

Comments

• CzechGuyCzechGuy Member Posts: 86

There is decent balance for 3 archtypes but right now the Cleric archtype is basically God-mode.

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

I've played all the archtypes and I do not find clerics to be godmode.  In fact, I find my mage and rogue do quite well against the few defiants that have come to Silverwood for a little rough and tumble.  My cleric won a single one on one combat with a defiant mage, but he died within seconds several times when it was a group of us against a group of them just north of Argent Glade.

They did a darn good job at balancing each soul and while some soul combinations might not be perfect for PvP, they do extremely well in PvE and are still decent in PvP.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

This was one of my biggest concerns but the way that it seems to be working now, you are not going to be putting a ton of points into your 2nd and 3rd sub classes so balance may not be as bad as some may think it will be. For example, if you are a rogue you can only use rogue sub classes as your 2nd and 3rd classes. You can't mix rogue/warrior or rogue/cleric or rogue/mage.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

I am not looking for perfect balance. Imperfect balance for imperfect players is my motto. And what is this godmode consist of? If you're talking about the ability to steamroll PvE content then sooner or later players will complain about no challenge. If you're talking about the ability to kill any class 1 on 1 in a PvP setting then it becomes a copout class for less skillful players and a first canidate for the unified nerf hammer that all other classes rally against.

So please do not spread this counterproductive rumor that healers are godmode. Lord knows we don't need them getting nerfed before the first grand PvP skirmish or raid...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by CzechGuy

There is decent balance for 3 archtypes but right now the Cleric archtype is basically God-mode.

^ This

If you can heal you will own anyone who can't. Heh, you should see healers in PvE, it's ridiculous.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by SaintViktor

This was one of my biggest concerns but the way that it seems to be working now, you are not going to be putting a ton of points into your 2nd and 3rd sub classes so balance may not be as bad as some may think it will be. For example, if you are a rogue you can only use rogue sub classes as your 2nd and 3rd classes. You can't mix rogue/warrior or rogue/cleric or rogue/mage.

Yeap, that make's it quite balanced alright. There might be a few things here and there that need tweaking but the balance is there and I commend them for doing that.

This is not a game.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

This is very true, if you spread your points thinly you'll end up with something wishy washy, you need to go quite deep in to a soul tree to get the good skills that define that class. Sticking with one tree and using a small amount of points in useful skills in the other two souls will be the way to go from what I've seen so far. You can preview a soul before committing to it so looking for whats useful at the start of a tree and compliments your main soul is likely the way to go.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

Originally posted by EvilGeek

This is very true, if you spread your points thinly you'll end up with something wishy washy, you need to go quite deep in to a soul tree to get the good skills that define that class. Sticking with one tree and using a small amount of points in useful skills in the other two souls will be the way to go from what I've seen so far. You can preview a soul before committing to it so looking for whats useful at the start of a tree and compliments your main soul is likely the way to go.

The thing I get annoyed by is the amount skills I find useful on my skillbar, I feel I don't have enough fingers to use all of them and there isn't even enough space for all of them to fit on the bar anyway... crazy stuff I tells ya.

This is not a game.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

It's still beta so class balance is being adjusted.

Currently Clerics have an edge over other classes and mages could use a bit of a buff.

They have a few months to work it out.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• TwystedWizTwystedWiz Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by Honeymoon69

Yo I heard its the same guy who fuk up warhammer class balance is in charge of producing this game, how is class balance so far?

balance is fine.

bad players are bad.

yo...

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

The game is still in beta. WoW still has bad balance. Balance only matters when it comes to PvP and even -then- is it still bad: you could pvp two horrible peeps and win, you could pvp two great peeps and lose, you might have awesome armor and win a 1-on-1, they might have awesome armor and you lose a 1-on-1, you might know your spells great and win, they might know their spells better and you will lose, see the trend? balance is/was/and will always be an issue, people need to move on from that.

• CzechGuyCzechGuy Member Posts: 86

Clerics are God-mode in PvE AND PvP.

I am not spreading false rumors here people.  Clerics can commonly take on 2 or even 3 other players of the same level in PvP. Mana regens so fast they can just spam heal themselves and throw nukes on other players without a means to heal themselves.

Its beta. Class balance sucks atm. Is that really a surprise? Some of you must be new to the genre and what beta testing means.

PS- Anyone who tells you Clerics are not God-mode right now is almost surely playing a Cleric or they are just trolling for lawls.

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

It is easy to be a Cleric, right now yes

• SpandexDroidSpandexDroid Member Posts: 277

It doesn't surprise me.  For those that are looking to /faceroll in PvP, a healer type class or ranged class has the potential to be the choice of many players. More fun to play than warriors anyway. Also it is possible that some classes are weaker than others in the first 10 levels then gradually get better. Who knows.

• cyranacyrana Member UncommonPosts: 197

Originally posted by terroni
    It's still beta so class balance is being adjusted.
    Currently Clerics have an edge over other classes and mages could use a bit of a buff.
    They have a few months to work it out.

This is true to an extent, but people really need to remember we're talking about level 20 gameplay. With scaling and everything we really have no idea how this all plays out at level 50.

Ningen wa ningen da.
    ----
    http://twitter.com/Ciovala

• shine11shine11 Member Posts: 7

I always worry when healers can dps as well or better than mage/rogue classes in mmo's. I think healers should get cc/buffs/debuffs/speed or end/power regen and no damage. They should be pure support. But people dont find that "fun" anymore so we get inherently imbalanced healer classes.

I remember in DAOC my favorite classes we the Bard and mid Healer. Niether class could do any damage other than auto-attack but were arguably the most important classes in any pvp group and needed to be played by the best players.

In every mmo ive played since daoc healers have been overpowered, vanguard(druids, bloodmages, clerics), AoC(PoM, BS, ToS), WAR(disciples/warrior priests), Aion(clerics)... So to ask hows balance, well healers who damage are unbalancable.

Hopefully cleric damage does not scale as well as you level and at max they will do moderate damage in RIFT. But so far they are head and shoulders above the rest as usual.

• RedTortugaRedTortuga Member Posts: 60

This is false.

I've been dueling for almost 3 days now with no problems against any type of Cleric. Rift is based on your ability setup, gear, and skill rotation.. As well as movement of getting behind Clerics before they crank out spells.

- I play a Champion/Reaver/Warlord

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

Ok, to clear up something. Clerics != healers. Warriors != tanks, Mages != dps, etc.

Within each calling there is at least 2 of the 3 archtypes.

That being said, Cleric covers all archtypes. Tank, dps, heals, and support.

---

The caster DPS clerics are probably gimpy in PvP due to the lack of collision detection. All another player has to do is run through their enemy to interrupt the 2 and 3 second casts.

---

As long as each calling is well represented AND useful, I don't mind imbalance.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.

• DracSchniderDracSchnider Member UncommonPosts: 223

It all depends on the classes each type have 1 that can kill the other.  Example a void knight can kill any caster/cleics because they are designed to deal with mana dependant types.  There is some balance well some will say this is OP vs that... there is always a build to counter the OP, but its a matter of do you want to spec that class just for taking down the 1 OP or would you rather spec this to take down all these types.  Thats why grouping can make the diffrence, having certian classes in a group can help counter others which brings a balance.   If you find you dont like that person a beats you every time you can alwasys pick a diffrent soul and respec to beat him... it will become an endless cycle if you keep trying to be OP :)

Myself I have 1 set of souls I will play that I tested, I know which classes to avoid and which I can kill, so what do I do when I meet my OP class that I cant beat??? I snare and run, or rely on my guildies to assist me / protect me. 

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I found the cleric fun but not super over powered myself.  If anything I think the pet classes are very powerful in the game.  I tried a scout calling with and without a pet and the difference was night and day.  Only a fighter really seemed to work well without a pet.

All in all I like the current way souls and callings are balanced and don't think it needs more then minor tweaks.