Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how is this game

Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107

Used to beta test this game under the name Major Scientist, then life happened and next thing I knew the game was released.  So, now that it's been out for awhile, how is it?  Is it worth looking into?

Comments

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

The game is good. Give it a try with their 30 day free trial.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107

Yeah, the crafting system was nice and the lore was pretty cool.  Though you know how it goes with a Beta... crashing every five minutes.  That and I've been hearing interesting things about the community... which is suprising as I don't remember us being that bad back in the early days...

• Originally posted by Maj_Science

Yeah, the crafting system was nice and the lore was pretty cool.  Though you know how it goes with a Beta... crashing every five minutes.  That and I've been hearing interesting things about the community... which is suprising as I don't remember us being that bad back in the early days...

I'm confused by your post, it says this game released in 2009, but your saying its still in beta??

• sudosudo Member UncommonPosts: 697

Originally posted by Nunez1212

Originally posted by Maj_Science

I'm confused by your post, it says this game released in 2009, but your saying its still in beta??

The game is not in beta and the community is allright. While everybody keep saying that it's one of the best communities out there, my personal experience out of the "Help" channel is not more than "allright", better than wow and Darkfall but not as good as EvE. There is too much drama and epeening between biggest clans on the server (there is only one) and it's kinda getting old.

"Only in quiet waters do things mirror themselves undistorted.
    Only in a quiet mind is adequate perception of the world."
    Hans Margolius

• HenchdwarfHenchdwarf Member UncommonPosts: 517

The game has alot of potential, but it feels like an extended demo.  the PvP is really coming along, and most of PvE is surprisingly fresh.   The crafting aspect is phenomenal, mostly due to the fact that everything in the game is dependant on it-sort of what youd expect in a wild west apocalypse narrative.   

it feels to me that this game should be heading into either open PvP (via building bases, defending them, or destroying others) or a full sandbox sim.  both are nicely touched upon, which i guess is a good marketing strategy, but im the kind of player who likes a bit more immersion. i shouldnt complain tho, as this is just about the most immersion youll find on the market.

just my two cents.

oh and fyi,  the forums are yet another example of entrenched know it all beta champs running the place.  i hate this in a game, when the mod staff silence new players (in some cases, openly mock) in favor of swooning over old time buddies.

• Maj_ScienceMaj_Science Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by Nunez1212

Originally posted by Maj_Science

I played it in Beta, most of my impressions come from that period in its dev cycle, but life then happened and next thing I knew it was release time for FE. 

Originally posted by Cruoris

The game has alot of potential, but it feels like an extended demo.  the PvP is really coming along, and most of PvE is surprisingly fresh.   The crafting aspect is phenomenal, mostly due to the fact that everything in the game is dependant on it-sort of what youd expect in a wild west apocalypse narrative.   

it feels to me that this game should be heading into either open PvP (via building bases, defending them, or destroying others) or a full sandbox sim.  both are nicely touched upon, which i guess is a good marketing strategy, but im the kind of player who likes a bit more immersion. i shouldnt complain tho, as this is just about the most immersion youll find on the market.

Yeah, the crafting was one of the game's better points.  though the debate between PvP and sandbox has gone on back and forth between both camps since before Alpha even.   I do agree with the immersion bit, we haven't had anything quite like it before or since for that matter.

oh and fyi,  the forums are yet another example of entrenched know it all beta champs running the place.  i hate this in a game, when the mod staff silence new players (in some cases, openly mock) in favor of swooning over old time buddies.

Speaking as a former beta community member, yeah I can attest that some of the folks from that particular clique can be... an experience at times.  Can't name names as I'm not sure who's there and who's not anymore.  Can't say anything about the mods either as the last time I was there, the big mod was a woman named Moonie...

• SinnSinn Member UncommonPosts: 93

I was thinking of trying to this game but hearing about how there may be a circle jerk of elitest geeks kind of turns me off from it- i love the setting too - i might just have too not ask for help then if people are snobs about it

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

I've hardly ever experienced jerky behavior in FE in game. I have been run out of PvP areas by gank squads and they were cool about it. Standard trash talk but no grief. A lot of active clans and clan chat is usually the better help channel in my xp. I have had some rude and useless responses on the forums but mostly I've gotten good help with builds etc.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481

I'm a bit mystified about what some here are saying about Help channel - to me, it's always seemed extremely helpful, and I don't notice much "circle-jerking" at all. 

What they do on the Help channel (which is the default chat channel that comes up when you first play the game) is discourage discussions on anything that's not help-related - which seems quite reasonable to me.  Every now and then a normal discussion of the type you'd find in global on another MMO starts up.  The mods usually let it go on for a bit then remind everyone that it's the Help channel.

For some peculiar reason, even though there's a Region chat channel for people to shoot the s**t on, nobody uses it.  Maybe fans and vets could encourage its use by just chatting normally on it more?

As to the game itself, it's still got some rough edges, but on a modern rig it really does look spiffy (except for some of the animations, especially melee), and the gameplay is a nice hybrid between MMO style and FPS style.

The game's great strength is definitely immersion.  If you like to solo in your MMOs, and if you like a sandboxy feel where you're not particularly channeled in any direction, and if you like post-Apocalyptic scenarios, FE is THE game at the moment.  In some ways, it's actually more "Falloutey" than Fallout 3 and sequel - it really reminds me more of the first two Fallout games, but just with other people in it.

Which is the big downside of the game at the moment - if you like PUGs, there isn't much of that at all.  I've just re-subbed after a break, and the PvE is a bit harder than it was - hopefully that will encourage people to team up for the group content (of which there is some, specifically for groups, that can be quite challenging).

All in all, this game is a real grower - both in terms of how one gets into the game, and in terms of how the devs are slowly but surely improving it.  The real plus side, I see, is that graphics-wise, the game is pretty well future-proofed for a good few years (as I say, it actually looks VERY good maxed out), so my feeling is that people will sort of "drift" to this game over time, and my hope is it will also steadily grow in population over time, like EVE has done.

Originally posted by gurugeorge

Which is the big downside of the game at the moment - if you like PUGs, there isn't much of that at all.  I've just re-subbed after a break, and the PvE is a bit harder than it was - hopefully that will encourage people to team up for the group content (of which there is some, specifically for groups, that can be quite challenging).

That is why I left a few months after launch. I came back because they made combat more difficult. It has been better for grouping, but I also found a clan where people will go out of their way (in FE that really means something, fast travel is difficult) to help you with something hard. I've grouped 10x more than around launch, but there needs to be a better lfg tool in game.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by astoria

That is why I left a few months after launch. I came back because they made combat more difficult. It has been better for grouping, but I also found a clan where people will go out of their way (in FE that really means something, fast travel is difficult) to help you with something hard. I've grouped 10x more than around launch, but there needs to be a better lfg tool in game.

Every MMORPG should have a good LFG tool, should really be mandatory. After all you play MMORPG to interact with people, not AI.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Yamota

Every MMORPG should have a good LFG tool, should really be mandatory. After all you play MMORPG to interact with people, not AI.

This isn't something I would have thought about until here recently, but I think a good LFG tool needs to be a basic feature in this game and any game. It probably shouldn't go so far as to automatically group you together with people who just happen to be near you, but it should be fairly painless to start and maintain a group for questing and such.

*edit* and to the post topic - FE is one of the few games where I found the crafting to be kind of cool in and of itself. I liked the idea of being able to buy, loot or craft items for quest turn ins.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Yamota

There is one in FE, it is just not that helpful. You can search by location and level, but I think you should be able to flag yourself for specific activities. City of Heroes has the best imo. D+DO's is actually too elaborate. In CoH you can flag some gross types, missions, raids, street patrol, and type out a comment.

• KaylessKayless Member UncommonPosts: 357

Having taken them up on their offer of buy 1 get 1 free for $14.99 I was somewhat disappointed.

Everything feels so clunky, especially combat. The character animations are terrible.

I lasted about 2 weeks into my free month, sorry... image

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Kayless

Having taken them up on their offer of buy 1 get 1 free for $14.99 I was somewhat disappointed.

Everything feels so clunky, especially combat. The character animations are terrible.

I lasted about 2 weeks into my free month, sorry... image

That's really too bad. I played the free trial awhile back and absolutely loved certain things about the game, it has MASSIVE potential. However, the combat was just so clunky it was awful. I keep popping in this forum to see if it's been fixed but sadly nothing yet. Until they revamp the entire combat system I can't do it. I don't know why they haven't done it yet, I'm sure tons of people would come back if combat was fun.

Such potential too... image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• MiguelAngeloMiguelAngelo Member Posts: 28

i jus got off trying a buttload of other current mmorpg's even did the RIFT beta , and whilse that game is polished as polished can be, and it will offer a few new things whilst maintaining and adding good things from current sucessful mmorpg's, to me it was just more of the same. I dont wanna knock on anything though, maybe im just tired of the "Fantasy" mmorpg's or am really looking for a groundbreaking game.

Just got off Darkfall trial and that game really has good things but being a new player is not good there as getting ganked by everyone basically is not fun, plus spawns break in the game making it even harder to go somewhere "safe" in the game. Finally tried out Fallen earth and i must say its a beautiful game to me, it has given me the feeling of something new, something ive not played before, but somehow its familiar to me.

The gameplay and style i do not find clunky at all, i dont know maybe if you have a pc that cant handle the game well it will feel clunky. I know cause i have a somewhat old pc and one i just built and when i play it on my old one it did feel clunky and laggy and i was not enjoying the game as much as when i installed game on my new rig turned all graphics settings up and wow.

Loving the game loving the lore, the crafting;the way its incorporated into the game, the things you can build, the feeling of scavenging for everything, it jus feels right, the way it should be if things really went bad in the real world. I play the game the way i want to sord of sandboxy id say and it all still falls into place in the game when i do want to quest, because if i went out to scavenge so i canc raft and kill for a while, than i come back and take a mission and itll tell me to make something and hey i already have the materials and i was gona craft anyways so it all falls into place well, so that tells me the game is very well thought out.

I can go on and on but you jus have to try the game out i guess. Im really enjoying the game right now, i cant stop playing it, its fresh to me, well polished i see absolutely nothing wrong with it, ofcourse coming from Darkfall i guess if everything works as it should im really appreciative of it. I love it its my biased opinion ill admit right now im really diggin the game alienware arena is having promo check it out game is free and free rifle to boot !! im glad i tried the game ill def subscribe as i want to reach end game see where these stories take me, and im bout to make my own ATV which is awesome and feels rewarding, cya in game!

PS......

• mpalindatmpalindat Member Posts: 37

EDIT: I did read through the posts and dont feel this is off topic as im installing the trial right now

is the game open pvp similar to EVE, or is it based on shard choice? (i played the trial on my old laptop and couldnt move my toon, the fps were so low... so i can't remember)

Thanks

• MiguelAngeloMiguelAngelo Member Posts: 28

Various ways to pvp, you can type /pvp and toggle it and your open for pvp anytime anywhere, or you can go to bloodsports which is like unreal tournamentish, you get teleported off game world to diff arenas, its pretty cool. And last but not least you have PVP areas in the map you just drive to certain parts in the map that indicate PVP.

PS......

• zeroethzeroeth Member Posts: 4

I've been pretty hooked on this game since I picked up the trial and then the free key.  I'm a sucker for crafting and killing.  I prefer to play solo my first few weeks too, so I can get the hang of the game and get into it.

I'm not in a rush but I always want to be going somewhere or doing something and this game is perfect for that.  I also like that I don't have to pick a class, but instead just improve stats.  This goes back to the way AC was for me and I miss that kind of MMO.

I play this any chance I get.  Blood Sports is fun though I've had it bug out on me a couple of times.  The quests are engaging and enjoyable.  Dungeons crawling is amazingly fun in solo play.  I'm really digging this game.