Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 release date Nov 2, 2011?

2»

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Drakonus

I have too and usually they last about six months to a year (ex. Auto Assault, Hellgate: London) before they shut down.  So, I'm still going to say we shall see, because I'm guessing that just like the first GW they'll open it for public beta.  Especially, since they're a completely new and different gaming engine.  They'll do that mainly because they'll want to test the loads on the servers, then secondly for the bugs.  To be honest I really don't mind waiting because I know from past experience when they finally do release it, it WON'T be junk image.

"When will there be a beta?

Although we publicly beta-tested the original Guild Wars® while it was still in early development, with Guild Wars 2 we will commence beta testing closer to the game's release. Guild Wars 2 is a very large and ambitious game, and Guild Wars players rightfully have very high expectations. We want players to be absolutely blown away by the game the first time they experience it." ~~~Taken from GW2 FAQ  page http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/#two

First there are usually a closed beta, and that takes several months, it is to iron out bugs, tweak the balance and look for other issues. Once that is finished they put out the open beta or stress test to check so the servers actually can take full load. 1-2 weeks are common for this but it might be a lot longer if there is some issues with the server loads.

That is at least 3 1/2 months beta testing. GW2 might look really polished already but I have a feeling some parts are not done with. PvP for one thing, probably are a reason they had a PvE demo instead. The last 4 classes are probably not done yet either, I guess that is why they revealed the 4 classes they did first since they are old classes and easier to make, they already know more or less how the classes work.

The release date is not impossible at all even though I had hoped for Q2 myself. I would on the other hand not be surprised if TOR and Rift got delayed, they seems to be more in a hurry and that might not be a great idea, the game that launches in best shape will have a huge advantage against the others.

I am happy if they release the game when they think it is ready. The earliest possible time that would be is just before X-mas but in that case should the beta announcement come today, and the latest likely is probably 2012

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Arenanet is one of the few devs that are pretty hardcore when it comes to not releasing anything until it's ready. Don't let that get you down, you should welcome that fact and celebrate it. We have to much rushed unfinished unpolished turds running amuck in the MMO sector as is. Lets be happy we have a dev house that wants their product to work before shipping it. 

I'd happily accept a 2012 launch if the game needs it to be launch worthy. 

And as to the poster that asked why it's lumped in with titles like SW:TOR an others on anticipated lists, it's because it's one of the few truly anticipated MMO's right now. Many are looking to GW2 for a breath of fresh air. Arenanet has some big claims that if true could potentially change a lot in our little hobby that has driven us nutz for years. It's one of the most anticipated MMO's right now if not the most anticipated. There are numerous reasons but I figured I'd try to sum it up for you. 

• SertiiSertii Member Posts: 52

I am really hoping for a summer 2012 release, otherwise i won't be able to play the game at release, seeing as it'll be my last school year :/ Plus, it will be even more awesome than it already looks =D

SteamID: Sertii

Help spread PC gaming dominance, sign up on Steam!

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

DIfferent parts of GW2's gameplay are in different stages, most of the stuff (if not all ) they've talked about are working and are already in-game (as shown in the videos) the other stuff is either in alpha or beta form. What they showed at GC is in beta and they even said there that they haven't finished working out how underwater combat will work but they are working on it.

It says something when people think the game is finished though.

This is not a game.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Dont take me for word, idk how true this is, but i saw on some sites that says "release date: TBA 2011". However i place my bet for latest release date in sometime around autumn 2011, according to what i saw from demos and stuff.

Good thing is that a lot of stuff seems pretty done, but there is still much more of work to do, because we don't want to see a lot angry ppl on forums here due to unfinished product and broken promises. On the other hand releasing it longer than, for example winter 2012, would be really long time now.  :D

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

That's a wrong date. No release date has been released, and I believe they won't wait 2012 to release it! They showed demo this early and it worked very nice, the release date is closer than u might expect. All in all, there's no point in arguing on such matter...

• sfallmannsfallmann Member Posts: 95

I would be surprised if it was released any later than the first half of 2011.

More likely by March of next year.  Obviously it's a guess.  But I think you can take some hints from the release schedule of the books.  The first book just came out (the end of July), the second will be out at the end of the year.  The third would likely come out prior to the games release.  I'd say maybe a month before.   So expect the release to be some time around th release of the final book.   It's all part of a marketing campaign to build up interest.

And the rate at which they are building interest, from blog updates, videos, interviews, etc, is another reason why I think that it will be out in the early part of next year.   Although I think the answer "when it's done" is accurate to an extent, I don't believe that means that they have no idea of when they plan on releasing it.  No large project, especially one that requires the amount of money and people involved, goes forward without a project plan which require milestones.  Now milestones are usually not hard dates, but they ARE target dates.  The goal is to reach the milestone and the only time you push one back is if you have a very good reason.

The reason you don't hint at a release date is not so you can have unlimitted time to complete the game; to keep working until it's perfect.  It's so that you don't have the highly orchestrated PR campaign of the prior year undone by rumors of the problems causing the delay, rabid fans upset by the pushback, and a disruption on PR process.   At least thats what I think.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by sfallmann

I would be surprised if it was released any later than the first half of 2011.

More likely by March of next year.  Obviously it's a guess.  But I think you can take some hints from the release schedule of the books.  The first book just came out (the end of July), the second will be out at the end of the year.  The third would likely come out prior to the games release.  I'd say maybe a month before.   So expect the release to be some time around th release of the final book.   It's all part of a marketing campaign to build up interest.

And the rate at which they are building interest, from blog updates, videos, interviews, etc, is another reason why I think that it will be out in the early part of next year.   Although I think the answer "when it's done" is accurate to an extent, I don't believe that means that they have no idea of when they plan on releasing it.  No large project, especially one that requires the amount of money and people involved, goes forward without a project plan which require milestones.  Now milestones are usually not hard dates, but they ARE target dates.  The goal is to reach the milestone and the only time you push one back is if you have a very good reason.

The reason you don't hint at a release date is not so you can have unlimitted time to complete the game; to keep working until it's perfect.  It's so that you don't have the highly orchestrated PR campaign of the prior year undone by rumors of the problems causing the delay, rabid fans upset by the pushback, and a disruption on PR process.   At least thats what I think.

Anywhere between March-November 2011, depending on slippage.

• hulik23hulik23 Member Posts: 45

im counting on 28th february. GW went out about the same time so make it stylish, would be really cool because what do you want to do in winter if not playing games (not counting sub-tropical areas), fans were crazy long time ago so profit will be huge first months after release and they can have at least nice summer. really doubt they will release it in summer period..whatever year. they would be insane. when something goes wrong, ok, autumn 2011 as a real delay.

i just dont believe they let fans down so it must be winter 2011

• SweetZoidSweetZoid Member Posts: 437

Develope GW2 faster,i can't wait that long without raging or failing in my life.

• DrakonusDrakonus Member Posts: 135

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Drakonus

I have too and usually they last about six months to a year (ex. Auto Assault, Hellgate: London) before they shut down.  So, I'm still going to say we shall see, because I'm guessing that just like the first GW they'll open it for public beta.  Especially, since they're a completely new and different gaming engine.  They'll do that mainly because they'll want to test the loads on the servers, then secondly for the bugs.  To be honest I really don't mind waiting because I know from past experience when they finally do release it, it WON'T be junk image.

"When will there be a beta?

Although we publicly beta-tested the original Guild Wars® while it was still in early development, with Guild Wars 2 we will commence beta testing closer to the game's release. Guild Wars 2 is a very large and ambitious game, and Guild Wars players rightfully have very high expectations. We want players to be absolutely blown away by the game the first time they experience it." ~~~Taken from GW2 FAQ  page http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/#two

First there are usually a closed beta, and that takes several months, it is to iron out bugs, tweak the balance and look for other issues. Once that is finished they put out the open beta or stress test to check so the servers actually can take full load. 1-2 weeks are common for this but it might be a lot longer if there is some issues with the server loads.

That is at least 3 1/2 months beta testing. GW2 might look really polished already but I have a feeling some parts are not done with. PvP for one thing, probably are a reason they had a PvE demo instead. The last 4 classes are probably not done yet either, I guess that is why they revealed the 4 classes they did first since they are old classes and easier to make, they already know more or less how the classes work.

The release date is not impossible at all even though I had hoped for Q2 myself. I would on the other hand not be surprised if TOR and Rift got delayed, they seems to be more in a hurry and that might not be a great idea, the game that launches in best shape will have a huge advantage against the others.

I am happy if they release the game when they think it is ready. The earliest possible time that would be is just before X-mas but in that case should the beta announcement come today, and the latest likely is probably 2012

And your point is??  I understand and know how betas work, sooooooo???

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

I'm fairly certain, judging by the progress they have made so far, that it will be released well before q4 of 2011. Look for a q1/q2 (March-June 2011) release. Open beta, if they decided to have one, will be in January-April 2011.

Believe it.

November 2011 is just much too far off, and it is closer to being completed than that. I expect closed beta to start before November of this year.  This is hardly me being optimistic, and me just putting the pieces together.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

My bet is on April 28th 2011.

Why? Because it's the date Prophecies was released, it would make sense to release the game sequel on its anniversary, though I doubt ANet would harm the game development just to use this release date.

And it doesn't look so unrealistic either considering what we have learned from the game. Remember ANet doesn't talk about what's not set in stone yet, if there is a 1% chance it's not a polished-close-to-final feature then they don't talk about it. So I suspect they have far more stuff ready than they are talking about, they just don't want to risk overhyping (though media sites and us fans are already hyping this game to the stars).

• KillHurtKillHurt Member Posts: 347

Originally posted by EricDanie

My bet is on April 28th 2011.

Why? Because it's the date Prophecies was released, it would make sense to release the game sequel on its anniversary, though I doubt ANet would harm the game development just to use this release date.

And it doesn't look so unrealistic either considering what we have learned from the game. Remember ANet doesn't talk about what's not set in stone yet, if there is a 1% chance it's not a polished-close-to-final feature then they don't talk about it. So I suspect they have far more stuff ready than they are talking about, they just don't want to risk overhyping (though media sites and us fans are already hyping this game to the stars).

This has been a common speculation.  One with which I agree is very likely :)

• PokemonTrainerRedPokemonTrainerRed Member UncommonPosts: 375

Lol - September 20th 2011 - My Birthday.

• power_madpower_mad Member Posts: 3

first off all from what iv herd there will be no closed beta they are doing things in secret to stop the competion from stealing there ideas very wise if you ask me they have a team testing it out round the clock

second of all there is more professions but they are keeping them secret too

and last of all the release date iv no idea but i do know that there will be a open beta  around the time they have a release date for the game altho this can be all aload of rubbish but il say it from what i herd they are looking for releaseing the game for spring 2011 but it maybe summer

• CorthagathCorthagath Member Posts: 291

oh man if i would be the one who would be publishing the info on release date ... i would just put 2015 for the trolling and have everyone suprised when the game releases at the summer of 2011

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by power_mad

first off all from what iv herd there will be no closed beta they are doing things in secret to stop the competion from stealing there ideas very wise if you ask me they have a team testing it out round the clock

second of all there is more professions but they are keeping them secret too

and last of all the release date iv no idea but i do know that there will be a open beta  around the time they have a release date for the game altho this can be all aload of rubbish but il say it from what i herd they are looking for releaseing the game for spring 2011 but it maybe summer

You guy's crack me up,  Where do you come up with these crazy theories.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Really?  This forum is like a buncha hens.  Clucking away with the most SILLY rumors.

Like when we were promised GW's installments every 6 months... or when GW2 was announced the better part of 5 freakin years ago.  C'mon... seriously... buncha bandwagoners here...

(... insert something witty and sarcastic here ...)

its the truth the release date i said is sketchy at best but the other stuff is on gw website if you look carefuly they drop hints now and then and then they tell you it all it one of there posts the release date is what iv herd from someone at shop he said we havnt got a set date but they have been told that they are aiming for spring or summer next year

• AblestronAblestron Member Posts: 333

the developers of the game have stated that their website and blog will be the first to tell us, any other release date is a guess, end of story.

anyway, its best not to think about a release date, it will only crush your enthusiasm as you wait for it to come out. 

like i said its sketchy it is only what they are aiming for however like you said its not a release date just a goal anything can happen more problems could come up

only solid info is that there will be 8 profesions and there will be no closed beta only a open beta which will be close to release date so all this there will be a long waiting period after closed beta is aload of rubbish since there is no closed beta they are doing it all themself why do you think its took so long

• tron21369tron21369 Member Posts: 73

i ll be just playing other games on line   cuz delays are a good thing cuz they dont wonna make some thing that is really bugy  poly most of us poly lose interst in wating and move on     at least that my plan and do some thing els and for get about it for a long while 

• saleensaleen Member UncommonPosts: 44

The game has been in development since what, 2007?  I'm thinking between September-November 2011.

Whenever it's gonna get released, I'm definitely playing it.