Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No exuse for fat mages

RegenRegen Member Posts: 53

Imagine if you could wave your hand and yell "FLAMMO FERIO!!"(or something like that) and your victim burst into flame..

Iam a bit tired and this video inspired me :D
Wave your hand!

You got something to say about it, or your own hopes or thoughts? Share!

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/261448/page/5

"I'd just like to see more games that focus on the world, and giving the people in it more of a role, im tired of these constant single player games that you can walk around with millions of people."

- Parsalin

Comments

• duelkoreduelkore Member Posts: 228

I just picture screaming "Im a simple kinda man" by sknnard and crying in shame

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I brought up the idea of voice-activated abilities over a year ago, and the general consensus was that it's fine as long as nobody has to hear your shrill, pubescent voice when doing it.

Asking for a motion-oriented version is just saying you don't want to play a game for more than an hour before getting sore. A really bad idea for the MMO genre, where you ain't cool unless you play 80+ hours a week. Bruce Lee wouldn't be able to keep up, and chances are he'd end up a fat slob with really toned arms from sitting on his ass all day and swinging at his screen.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

My thoughts. Yes it looks a bit silly but I had a philosophical moment while watching the video link and thought about being able to go into the past, back to the 1980's and showing that video to myself as a small boy with nothing but a pocket full of dreams and a comodore 64 and showing him that one day you will be able to do that with computer games. I think that would have blown his head off.

• RegenRegen Member Posts: 53

Just sitting and moving the arms wasnt the idea. Anyways i didnt really consider that some people cant move around for X hours each day. It makes me wonder..

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/261448/page/5

"I'd just like to see more games that focus on the world, and giving the people in it more of a role, im tired of these constant single player games that you can walk around with millions of people."

- Parsalin

• StoogeMonkeyStoogeMonkey Member Posts: 185

Gimmick alert :/

I had a good long hard think about the future of kinect, and I don't think it will work, i mean you need like 2 metres squared of lounge space atleast 3 metres away from your TV for it to work for one,

Just like the wii, the jumping around and being hypo thing is extremely fun only when you have friends with you, when your alone you usually wanna chill and just do some thumb-ercise on a regular controller etc,

i do see some pretty epic apllications for it in other areas besides games though imagine having massive flatscreen TVs in department stores, which will allow you to try on all different kinds of dresses etc, at the wave of a hand, then tell you its location in the store when you find one you like.

If they can get this accurate enough for finger movements in their next iterration, then i see some serious minority report shit going on, imagine playing an RTS with it lol. still a gimmick for now though,

I did like the fighting game in the trailer they made for it, totally see somone slipping and kicking their TV in lololol

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

Originally posted by StoogeMonkey

I did like the fighting game in the trailer they made for it, totally see somone slipping and kicking their TV in lololol

Those of us working retail for electronics departments are banking on it :P

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

Best dancing I have ever seen done using the Kinect.

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 574

sad so sad

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

I'm all for it if " grabbing the soda " or " grabbing the chips " pauses my game.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

I think it'll be really fun once it works properly, but I think it doesn't quite work yet. Kinect requires the user to move his body too much like mechanical construct: in straight, rigid and precise movements, or the recognition won't work properly. With an MMO, which one might want to play for hours, it's too stressing. But I'm hoping some day, perhaps the next generation after Kinect, the motion detection might become advanced enough that you could move your body naturally while playing.

• AkechtaAkechta Member Posts: 219

Suddenly everything and everyone uses Kinect... What happened to the good old classic controller?

I seriously prefer the controller over Kinect. I don't really feel like dancing around my living room in front of my friends and family (makes me look like an idiot) to play a game...

Oh, and WoW is kinda fail now... way better games out there with more possibilities and better graphic packs... Not to mention more content.

EDIT

Oh, and the funny thing is, on release of the Xbox Kinect, console sales increased so much that more people were buying consoles than the people buying Kinect...

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

It would be interesting if your character could mimic your movements.  I don't know about as an interface though; I think the mouse and keyboard are just fine.

Ofcourse, I'm open to having my mind changed if I see it implemented in a way that would feel natural to me.  But I'm no spring chicken anymore.  Might help me get some exercise though....

• AkechtaAkechta Member Posts: 219

It would be pretty cool if Kinect enabled your character to imitate the players exact movements... but I think developers are a wee way away from constructing hardware that allows that image

Plus, you would need a bit of room to perform powerful moves and a lot of people would hurt themselves trying...