Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could you describe the crafting in this game?

TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I have heard many times about how the crafting in Vanguard is top notch. But why? Could you describe the crafting in this game so that a non-player (but an MMO player of many years) would "get it"?

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Comments

• randomtrandomt Member UncommonPosts: 1,220

You have some consumables, you have some tools. You start the process, apply the materials, it progresses, stuff happens that you have to react to, using consumables or the right tool, it progresses more, you apply some craft related skill of your choosing to keep it going, react to stuff as it happens, etc.. the end result depends on how successful you were in the various stages of the process

It's a mini-game, not just put x mats in your inv, click build, wait 10 seconds.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by randomt
    You have some consumables, you have some tools. You start the process, apply the materials, it progresses, stuff happens that you have to react to, using consumables or the right tool, it progresses more, you apply some craft related skill of your choosing to keep it going, react to stuff as it happens, etc.. the end result depends on how successful you were in the various stages of the processIt's a mini-game, not just put x mats in your inv, click build, wait 10 seconds.

Is the mini-game aspect what is considered good about the crafting, or there a deeper set of skills involved? i.e. which materials to gather, which recipes to learn (learn them all?) or can you make your own recipes? How random is what you're doing when you are applying materials or what you're reacting to?

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Youtube has vidoes for everything you can imagine!

Vanguard Crafting Tutorial Video

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by randomt

You have some consumables, you have some tools. You start the process, apply the materials, it progresses, stuff happens that you have to react to, using consumables or the right tool, it progresses more, you apply some craft related skill of your choosing to keep it going, react to stuff as it happens, etc.. the end result depends on how successful you were in the various stages of the process

It's a mini-game, not just put x mats in your inv, click build, wait 10 seconds.

Is the mini-game aspect what is considered good about the crafting, or there a deeper set of skills involved? i.e. which materials to gather, which recipes to learn (learn them all?) or can you make your own recipes? How random is what you're doing when you are applying materials or what you're reacting to?

Yeah it's not just the mini-game, crafting itself has a multitude of stats associated with it that you can increase and work on which affect the crafting process.  You also have to use certain ingredients at certain times and hope you do not get complications.  Then there are the various skills you learn that you use during the crafting process, ALL of which affect the grade of the item you receive.  It really does take a lot of focus on when to use certain skills during the process, how to distribute your crafting stats (you cannot max everything) and how to deal with complications to consistently get grade A or 100% items.  Keep in mind, just crafting a single bag can result in either a 6 slot, 8 slot, 10 slot, or 12 slot bag ALL from the same recipe but all contingent on what grade you receive from your craft process.  That's just 1 example of a beginning bag recipe.  The video linked is good to get a general idea of what crafting is like, but as you level up in crafting the process is quite a bit more involved than the crafted items you see made in the video.

It's also worth noting that crafting in this game has it's own gear, as does harvesting.  You don't have to switch between regular adventuring gear and crafting or harvesting gear though, you have a different character window for all 3 gear types.  it's really REALLY cool.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Khrymson
    Youtube has vidoes for everything you can imagine!
    Vanguard Crafting Tutorial Video

Watching the videos now.

• SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

Crafting stuff that you were going to use or sell in Vanguard was pretty cool. Leveling crafting on the other hand made me want to kill myself.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

Crafting in VG is complex.  You have crafting buffs, failures, and a grind.  You will want to gouge your eyes with a spoon, but it is fun none the less.  You can customize things depending on the mats you use.   

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

There's another video that also shows harvesting, which is done more interestingly than most games also.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

My description of Vanguard's crafting is horribly tedious.  It's so bad that when I played, you could see a crafting area full of crafting bots. Yes, what happens when you introduce such a tedious crafting system is that people simply go out and purchase a $25 bot program that does it all for them.

Initially I had some hope for it, thought it may be cool to be different, to be a tad harder than other games.  But leveling crafting in VG really makes you want to pull your hair out.  It's not fun in the slightest.  And if you happen to like the punishment, you should know that there are tons of other max crafters who used the bot program to get theirs maxed.  So enjoy your punishment.   image

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO