Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Win 64

cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

I was thinking of getting the evaluation cd, and was wondering if it was worth it? I dont have a copy of XP profesional so I cant trade it in. I know it can support up to 128 gigs of ram and 16 terabites of Virtual memory. lol but my mobo can even support up the xp's max on ram.

Will I see a substantial differents in my games an over all speed of my system.... I dont have a top of the line system really if you were all wondering. Thanks for you time

Peace

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Most games and much software will not be compatible with Win XP 64.

• KiamdeKiamde Member CommonPosts: 5,820

Congratulations!

With your exclusive copy of Windows XP 64 you will be able to load notepad twice as fast. Thats right folks, TWICE AS FAST! Have trouble launching games? Shortcuts will load twice as fast. Thats right folks, TWICE AS FAST! Like playing solitare but hate the load time? Solitare loads up twice as fast. Thats right folks, TWICE AS FAST!

XP 64 is a joke in this day and time.

"Whoever controls the media controls the mind..-'Jim Morrison"

"When decorum is repression, the only dignity free men have is to speak out." ~Abbie Hoffman

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Originally posted by dekron
    Most games and much software will not be compatible with Win XP 64.

Actually, I read that with the latest build, they corrected alot of the incompatibilities and now most games and such work with the 64 bit version in compatibility mode. I know there's still an issue with older games, but I thought I read for the most part, the newer games play on the 64 bit version with little or no improvement over the 32 bit version since most of the games were compiled for 32 bit compatibility.

• Smelly_ArmorSmelly_Armor Member UncommonPosts: 571

I would wait till the official release of Longhorn in 2006. You want notice a big difference in the speed and look of your 32 bit applications on a 64 bit O/S at this point. There could also and there have been issues with compatibility although as dsorrent has pointed out, most of the newer apps and games run fine on it. You are technically still just getting a beta version of Win64 even though it is a much more finished product than it was currently a year ago.

I downloaded and played with the beta version of Win64. It looks good. I like the interface, and it is fast. With my games and other apps though I didn't notice much of a difference. The power of the new 64 bit processors and the 64 bit o/s will be realized when software companies begin releasing 64 bit applications and games. I removed Win64 from my system and put back on Win Xp. I probably will wait till latter of 2006 to buy Longhorn or maybe even 2007 because I want to see how many 64 bit apps and games are put out on the market as the release of Longhorn draws closer and especially once it is released.