Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There is no skill in gaming...

There is no skill in gaming...  Bashing your fingers does not require skill... its not even about that... its about how good your attention span is.  I don't see how people define and echo, "I have skills!" when playing a video game...  

Now if you we were really in a virtual video game world and you felt every stab, shot, spell... than drank a damn potion and can still continue now thats... wait... thats not skill actually thats endurance... now if you could dodge all that and not drink a potion than yes thats skill...  

Comments

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

It seems someone was owned in a game and is ranting now.

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428

Uhm..what? Lol. Ofc gaming requires skill, perhaps it doesn't require as much effort as becoming good at a sport, that takes much more practice, but the beauty of games is you can get good in them without possessing a natural talent. Really OP....I think you just need to chill dude.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• FarReachFarReach Member Posts: 229

Actually, there is quite a bit of skill. It was all spelled out in a public US Military study. 

The gist of it was:

Gamers have the reaction time of the best fighter pilots, but the bodies of couch potatoes. Go figure, right? 

Skill is something you cannot learn, but can get better at. Being able to react quickly and with proper actions, is not something you can learn. You have to be born with it.

• legendaireslegendaires Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by FarReach

Actually, there is quite a bit of skill. It was all spelled out in a public US Military study. 

The gist of it was:

Gamers have the reaction time of the best fighter pilots, but the bodies of couch potatoes. Go figure, right? 

Skill is something you cannot learn, but can get better at. Being able to react quickly and with proper actions, is not something you can learn. You have to be born with it.

I agree... :)

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

MMORPGs and RTS games really rely on and help to improve multi-tasking skills. Platformers improve hand-eye coordination and critical thinkings skills. FPS games are also great for hand-eye, but really boost strategic and logical thinking.

I actually think I'm a better driver, even on ice, because of what I learned from video games(the Battlefield Series especially oddly enough).

Of course these are all arguements for video games teaching skills rather than requiring them, but you can't have one without the other.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Laserwolf

I actually think I'm a better driver, even on ice, because of what I learned from video games(the Battlefield Series especially oddly enough).

I for one was a decent driver from my first moments behind the wheel since I had years of experience with games like Cruisin' World in arcade form. I'd go out of my way to stay between the lines in it, even if it meant losing a quarter. Eventually I could get away with it and still continue to new races, to an extent.

Games like Brain Age for the DS are nice too, at least for mental exercises. I also bought up every language coach game the handheld had, besides maybe german or italian. Still need to finish up spanish and japanese, but I doubt I will get through french or chinese anytime soon. They really do help though.

Stuff like that is proof that interactive entertainment has it's merits, but I think all us gamers already know that it goes without saying.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture