Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO Journalism

Hello all,

Journalism is something that interests me alot, i'm studying it at university next year and so i'm attempting to get more experience to make myself that bit more employable :). I've had my articles published in news papers from as young as 15 and ever since then its been something i've wanted to make into a career.

I'm an avid MMO gamer and have played pretty much everything from WoW and Everquest, to Planetside, Darkfall and Mortal Online. Mixing my passion for MMOs and journalism seems to be a logical course of action and so here i am.

I've been looking around for some Journalistic work, and so i'd thought i'd post here and ask you lovely people if you had any experience or insight into this field and any advice regarding MMO journalism that you would be willing to share with me.

A step further, (i apologise profusely if this is starting to sound a little bit like a job application) if anyone has or knows of any oppourtunities, paid or unpaid, i would be extremely interested.

Thanks very much for any help you can give me.

Regards,

Xaine

Comments

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

The best advice I can give you is to be a constant presence on a MMO web site and when offers are given to do MMO journalism, then apply for it.

If there is an opening for moderator then do that and it will open doors for you into journalism.

For example, I became a moderator here for a couple of years and during that time, I had the chance to do some interviews and also some reviews.

Then you work your way up from there.

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Start by blogging, that's usually how everyone gets their foot in the doors these days.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

I remember the good ol days of stratics, especially UO Stratics, where the journalism took place within the game with coverage of events like marriages, funerals(for IRL deaths), parties, and even in-game full length plays. There were also interviews of well known players and various other things to cover. These days I just don't see a place for that kind of thing. Whatever changes in MMO development over the years killed off this type of journalism need to be reversed.

But yeah, a blog is really your only move right now. No matter how good the blog is, you won't make a single cent from it, but it'll be good practice and you should enjoy it.