Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't more people play Age of Conan ?

Why don't more people play Age of Conan ? I know it had a bad start but it's pretty nice now. It has the best grafix by far +Carnage, blood, fatalities, naked breast's, and in my opinion, the bet starting area, finest combat structure and least boring quest of all. The raids are fun and the expansion was nice. The planned content sounds good to. I have played Aion and beta tested Rift, DCU, and others but never found a replacement for this game......So my question is why don't you play? ....Poor PC ? Sour from launch ? Not enough advertising or hype ?  

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-Robert E. Howard

Comments

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Same reason I dont play Darkfall.

I read the Wikipedia page about it ... and knew thats nothing I will ever touch.

P.s.: And if you really need to play a game to see naked breasts ... I just cant find the right words to express heartfully enough how sorry I am for you.

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Same reason more players don't play Vanguard. A bad launch can really make or break the future for MMO's.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• chaoster89chaoster89 Member Posts: 56

Nice graphics and blood dont make an MMO good unless youre some kind serial killer

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

I've subbed twice to the game. Great game imo, and I love the game world. It feels a lot like the ancient world, which I love that setting.

but the reason I don't play anymore is simply because I get bored of games really easy (I wish that wasn't the case). I'm planning on subbing to Darkfall this week, I'm hoping that will keep my interest for a long time since it's a sandbox.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Why would more people play it?  I looked into it and thought the combat system looked like it might be kind of cool, but the game didn't otherwise seem to have much going for it.  Furthermore, the things you list on the second line of your post partially answer the title of this thread.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Because for me the world is completely foreign and therefore i have no desire to know more about it.

I didn't watch the movie (nor do I want to) so yeah. Also the initial launch problems (i've heard about them, mostly from here actually) left me very wary to even try it.

'Why bother?'

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426

Man you guys are sour... I don't need naked 3d breast's  or carnage, I'm just saying it's a nice game compared to allot of the crap that out there and I am surprised more people don't play.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• Garland7GGarland7G Member Posts: 97

I've played this one on and off since launch, and while it had its rough spots along the way it has gotten better. That said, i usually cancel my sub well before the month is up every time. maybe its the lack of players or solo/quest grind type of play but i just cant put my finger on it. Its just like LotRO, while not a bad game per say, i just got bored fast.

• VazertVazert Member Posts: 60

I did go back and check it out after the mass advertised revamp. Most of the same issues I had with it at launch were still present.  It became  apparent that this would never be  the game for me. 

• Ubel12Ubel12 Member UncommonPosts: 153

@ Chaoster --- LOL That was too funny man!! Thank you for the laugh there =) I liked AOC, but I just still have not found the MMO that I really REALLY like yet. One day one will come along and make me happy again like EQ1 did way back when.

• KatrisaKatrisa Member UncommonPosts: 116

AoC got a bad rep after the failure at lanch. Its probably one of... if not the best MMO out (IMO!!!)

Also the xpac had alot of good things but the khitai grind is crazy... thats why i dont play anymore.

Kat

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

It's a good MMO, but the instancing kills it for me. The expansion is a lot better in that regard, but loading screen after loading screen bothered me. It's just not a game I can spend a lot of time on.

• DaitenguDaitengu Member Posts: 442

I'm a crafter/explorer type, and I played AoC at release to level cap.  Saw everything it had to offer at the time. and the crafting sucked ass. So.. I ain't playing it anymore, nor do I want to try it again. Simple as that.

• flguy147flguy147 Member UncommonPosts: 507

The expansion killed it for me.  The grind was freakin insane.  I played the game every single day and had a blast.  But it was going to take me years to get the faction gear and that doesnt even include T4 stuff.  I love a challenge but there is a difference between a challenge and the ridiculous grind of the expansion. 

• thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

For me the combat.

If i want fast frantic action I play a FPS if i want to chill out randomly spam 12345 and faceroll enemy's to death I play a MMO,  I found AOC's combo system to be a royal pain in the arse it wasnt new and inovative it was simply tedious to have to press 2-4 buttons after every press of your num key just annoyed me.

I loved AOC's graphics and majority of mechanics and being a massive fan of Howards Conan loved the world and the lore.

I was privelaged to be in the Alpha stage for AOC and from day 1 I put forward the suggestion of having combo as a option for 100% damage and having it turned off for 80% damage this suggestion gained a lot of momentum and a lot of likeminded support for it this feature would have made leveling not so tedious but at the same time have the full system available when you needed it like in PVP or Raids.

I do dive into AOC now and again and still enjoy 90% of the game its that 1 mechanic I just cannot stand that puts me off everytime and usually has me cancelling the sub 2 weeks into a month sub.

• TheIllusiveTheIllusive Member Posts: 196

because the game is very boring after Tortage... I tried several times to get into it but I never got past level 45. I agree that the game has many cool things, but it just lacks certain important elements. Im even thinking of returning to WoW after 6 years! :P

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

Originally posted by TheIllusive

because the game is very boring after Tortage... I tried several times to get into it but I never got past level 45. I agree that the game has many cool things, but it just lacks certain important elements. Im even thinking of returning to WoW after 6 years! :P

Exactly my opinion and experience.  After tortage it feels like i'm not playing the same game anymore.

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

I got sucked into the hype and preordered after playing the beta.  Well, as it turns out, the beta was limited to Tortage Island ,    which was really well done, but was only the starter area.  After that, it was really disappointing.  So, I gave up after the free month.  I have heard it has gotten better, but I just never really got into the story (what there was of it) or the setting.   I do have a question though:  can you still use dying as a viable transport method?

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• maxebornmaxeborn Member Posts: 148

its not an MMO

• Garland7GGarland7G Member Posts: 97

Don't do it! I just cancelled my sub, the reason was, after hitting 85, it just turns into a big ass grind like aoc's xpac.

hit 85, then...?

grind heroics, grind rep, grind professions, grind dailies, grind some more then farm.

I grinded my ass off from vanilla all the way through Wotlk,just to do it again in cata?

The new pvp zone tol barad is worse than WG ever was and the new bg's are poor too imo.

edit: this may sound harsh but i was really excited about cata, but its just more of the same, wow has a formula with xpacs i noticed:

1. get to max level of xpac

2. grind through the xpacs dungeons for heroic gear

3. grind through the same dungeons on heroic mode for raid gear

3. grind through the same raid until the next tier is released

4. 2 yrs later a new xpac is released (return to 1.)

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Indeed, AOC is the most slow and boring MMO I have ever played. It is well done now and it runs stable and all that, but still it's so damned boring. Plus I don't see the point in 85 levels for just a few areas and a bunch of skills. Other games do the same with half the levels.

Loading screens left and right and small maps that hardly allow any freedom (90% of the areas consist on small paths surrounded by cliffs and infested with mobs that force you to walk 10 miles in a long way around just got to a point that is actually right next to you) does not help either. Inmersion=0.

Crafting is dumb on top of that.

So, yeah, technically well done but overall boring.

• Germaximus_SGermaximus_S Member UncommonPosts: 1,061

When i originally saw the game i didnt care much for it.

But every time i see new screenshots im interested. The screenshots make it look great i just havent tried it yet.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Twitch Facebook Twitter 

• SkeeterxiSkeeterxi Member Posts: 265

I liked the combat, the graphics, the setting, the music. The social elemental was lacking to me though. The search functions and LFG tools didn't work or were non existant. The only way to get groups was to spam chat channels and that put me off a lot. I don't like using spammy chat channels, I wanna be able to flag myself and just go about by business, even when I did try to get groups through global it almost never happened.

• SolestranSolestran Member Posts: 342

There are probably a few people out there like me who don't like being told in what order to press our attacks or being penalized for not pressing them in the order that the combos dictate.  It's clicky, irritating and screams carpal tunnel syndrome.

As an avid soloer, I didn't like that the majority of the interesting content, dungeons and rewards were group and raid only.  If I wanted to grind safe mobs all day or run stupid fedex quests for pitiful XP and label it as solo content, I'd have stuck with EverQuest Live.  I also hated dying left and right because of large aggro ranges and adds out the wazzoo.

I didn't like the ugly character models and the ugly armor graphics.

For such a beautiful world, it was so very constrictive with invisible and visible walls everywhere herding me down the path.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Because it is true, you really only get one chance to make a good first impression.

I've never given a game a try and in failing to like it, gone back and given it another go.

AOC could be the best game on the market, but I'm never going back after my 1st 3 month trial I did back at launch.

Too many other games out there still to try, no reason to go back at the discards.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon