Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help me find another Asheron's Call!

fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208

So I'm looking for a game again.  I haven't followed what's been coming out or is about to for the past year or so, so I'm hoping that maybe there's something new that I don't know about.  Since I'm pretty sure there's not a game exactly like Asheron's Call, I'll specify which things I liked the most about the game, so here's what I'm looking for, in order.

1.  Character (class) customization.  You got to pick your own skills/abilities.  You didn't have to follow preset paths.

2.  Non-linear gameplay/exploration.  You could go pretty much anywhere pretty much anytime.  There were some level limitations, but it was a far cry from the now standard "start in area 1, do quests A, B, and C, then go to area 2 and do quests D, E, and F, then go to area 3..."

3.  Gear was found or traded/Economy.  Looting a chest meant something, it meant you might get an awesome item that either you could use, or that you could trade to someone that needed it.  I despise the gold grind games where there is a clear-cut linear gear path for each character class, where everyone HAS to buy the exact same gear from a NPC vendor. cough*lineage2*cough

4.  Questing.  People didn't go on a quest to lvl up, they went on quests to get wicked items.  I realize this applies to a lot of current mmo's endgame content, but Asheron's Call did an awesome job of scaling cool quest rewards throught the game for people of all levels, and I'm not talking about the leather pants that you get at lvl 3 for killing 5 wolves or some bs like most games do now.

5.  Risk vs. Reward.  Parts of the game were hard, and dying sometimes meant the loss of time and valuable gear, which made tough battles more exciting, and victory that much sweeter.  "Oh, I died... *shrug*" was definitely not a part of Asheron's Call, it was more like FFFFFFFF***********************@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@K!!!!!!!!  Corpse retrieval sometimes ended up being more fun that what you were doing before you died.

Anyway, that's the criteria that I'm looking for.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Here's a list of games that I've tried and my brief thoughts on each.

Asheron's Call- if Jesus had been a developer instead of a carpenter, he would have made this

WoW- whatevs

Lineage 2- boring, too much grind

Ryzom-tried several times and could never get into it

DDO- loved it, but have moved on

Warhammer Online-  Played it for about a week and was let down

Age of Conan- did a trial account, didn't do anything for me

LoTR Online- trial account, didn't grab me, but I've been hearing good things

Vanguard- seems good, but the population seemed pretty low

Darkfall Online- good aspects, but felt like I was playing a single player game except for the few times I got ganked by random high lvl guys that found me...

Guild Wars- I actually liked this game quite a bit

Mortal Online- I think I tried beta and it still needed a lot of work, maybe it's doing better now?

Me

Her

Comments

• fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208

Seriously.... nothing?  Can someone build me a time machine?

Me

Her

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

There really is nothing like this out there right now maybe darkfall for the pvp stuff but pve is great only problem is you have the high risk people looting your body i hear they dont while someone is in pve though but hey it can happen, anyways to me the character models are very ugly the armor is ugly and it does not look high fantasy to me at all.

I suggest looking into ddo perhaps to last you until something fun comes out, other then that try looking into multiplayer games that have free online play.

• NicroxNicrox Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by fivetigers

Theres not alot out there that can appease the people who like to solo and be traders and an mmo thats in depth. Alot of mmo's today do more work on in game cash-store's then the game itself. Or to many developers always changing the rules of the game adding/taking away in game abilities or just changing the game look at SWG then and now.

I myself am looking for a new mmo to play. EQ2 just had a population server merge its a slow death. EVE online is to static. Vanguard is a empty of people. Darkfall offers death 1000000000000x over. SWG died after nge. Wow is boring and cartoonish. To many mmo's just don't cut it with the linear vs sandbox to many mmo's are becoming linear with in game stores rather a mmo or game for the player.

Asheron's call I did like but I heard Asheron's call 2 died by the road not enough sub's like Shadowbane.

Might I suggest global agenda lots of people like this game it had a rocky start but its doing very well now, I heard they really cracked down on the hacks and I asked in the forums just to confirm it, anyways people say now it is one of the most bug and hack free games right now, and its fluid and yes it has allot of pvp but it has decent pve to, and no monthly fee you just buy it once and it usually is on sale for pretty cheap its rated 8.1 on this site right now.

It has flashy combat, rocket packs, rpg elements and its a 3rd person shooter and yes there is good melee to. It does have limitations such as 4 classes but it is not meant to be like a 15 a month mmo, but people say they can play all day and not get bored.

Anyways it is something to play as an off game when your bored with your normal mmorpg, also I highly recommend playing cox for now, if you want a paid mmo, its really fun it just gets grindy as some of the missions look to much of the same at certain points of the game so you need to break away here and there.

• SevensoddSevensodd Member Posts: 322

Originally posted by Angelbound

Might I suggest global agenda lots of people like this game it had a rocky start but its doing very well now, I heard they really cracked down on the hacks and I asked in the forums just to confirm it, anyways people say now it is one of the most bug and hack free games right now, and its fluid and yes it has allot of pvp but it has decent pve to, and no monthly fee you just buy it once and it usually is on sale for pretty cheap its rated 8.1 on this site right now.

It has flashy combat, rocket packs, rpg elements and its a 3rd person shooter and yes there is good melee to. It does have limitations such as 4 classes but it is not meant to be like a 15 a month mmo, but people say they can play all day and not get bored.

Anyways it is something to play as an off game when your bored with your normal mmorpg, also I highly recommend playing cox for now, if you want a paid mmo, its really fun it just gets grindy as some of the missions look to much of the same at certain points of the game so you need to break away here and there.

lol, global agenda is NOTHING like AC.

To be honest there hasn't been a game like asherons call since.....asherons call.  I've lost hope that anyone will make a game like it again.  We are doomed to a world of kill X/gather Y mmorpgs.

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

Originally posted by Sevensodd
    lol, global agenda is NOTHING like AC.

To be honest there hasn't been a game like asherons call since.....asherons call.  I've lost hope that anyone will make a game like it again.  We are doomed to a world of kill X/gather Y mmorpgs.

QFT-- even ac2 wasn't like ac. I wish ac looked as good as say, EQ2... wow... rift...? the mechanics i love, most things i enjoy, but the visuals make your eyes bleed... even when it launched now it really hurts.

Shadus

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I've been searching for years.. you won't find it so I'd stop looking... :) seriously

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • testmylucktestmyluck Member Posts: 91
    Large worlds and exploration are dead )=. Vanguard was the last good shot at it.
  • japojapo Member Posts: 306

Originally posted by testmyluck

Large worlds and exploration are dead )=. Vanguard was the last good shot at it.

If Vanguard ever goes the F2P model of EQ2X I'll be back in a heartbeat.

How SOE feels they can charge a full monthly fee for a game with zero development and a tiny staff that adds nothing to the game is beyond me.  I'd probably even go back if it was like $7 a month or so...but $15....no freekin' way. 

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

I still need to read up a bit more on the 2 I'll mention, but might Earthrise or Tera have more of what the OP is looking for than not?

• japojapo Member Posts: 306

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

I still need to read up a bit more on the 2 I'll mention, but might Earthrise or Tera have more of what the OP is looking for than not?

Yeh...but as usual, we're hoping that a future game will have what we want.  And, as usual, I'm pretty sure they will fail to deliver.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

Go grab the Fallen Earth trial , you will probaly like it ...

• Sub_humanSub_human Member UncommonPosts: 3

I agree with Scorchien about Fallen Earth, especially with the last patch. Check your PM's fivetigers.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Originally posted by japo

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Yeh...but as usual, we're hoping that a future game will have what we want.  And, as usual, I'm pretty sure they will fail to deliver.

Im a skeptic too.  I didnt mention it earlier, but it sure wasn't Fallen Earth for me with complete lack of open or staged-world meaningful faction-oriented pvp.  If it is there,  I sure didnt find it within my first month.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

IF you've already got AC why do you want another?

I've never played it my self, is it worth a go?

• fivetigersfivetigers Member UncommonPosts: 208

Originally posted by Mad+Dog

AC came out in like 2000.... it's still around but it's time has come and gone.

Me

Her

Well your just going to have to deal with that, I offered gb to you because you can play it for now its cheap as hek and well worth the price, never did I say it was anything like global agenda but with pvp your best bet is guild wars 2 when it comes out, darkfall or the new robot pvp game forget the name its basicly eve with robots and more action packed, your not going to find another ac anytime soon bro, your only going to find mmorpgs that appeal to the masses if they are well done. Like us all we are kind of stuck you can always play just multiplayer games if you do not want to try global agenda there is always call of duty maybe team fortress 2 something like that.

Fallen earth is a good pve game however.

• SevensoddSevensodd Member Posts: 322

Originally posted by Mad+Dog

AC came out in like 2000.... it's still around but it's time has come and gone.

1999'***