Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV Lost Case?

nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Isn't FFXIV a lost case, with the upcoming MMOs?

(Sorry, I'm going to have to bring in GW2 because GW2 is THE game for me. I've seen the 50 minute gameplay video.)

http://n4g.com/news/592585/guild-wars-2-50-minutes-of-pure-gameplay

I think the guy spent maybe 25 minutes playing the hum girl ranger. He did about 2 dynamic events and then proceded with main story scenerio.

Comparing the above with FFXIV; You start out doing main story scenerio at level 1, then after few (3-5 hours) hours of grind you get to level 10 and then start doing the main story missions again.

What am I trying to say is, how will FFXIV compete with the upcoming MMOs? And the monster (GW2) of it all is not even subscription base!?

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Lost Cause i think you meant, and i'm not sure it is, it really depends on how comprehensive, and how quickly, the game can be fixed, sadly, the sheer volume of 'fixes' needed are daunting, but even then, Final Fantasy is a popular genre, so its possible that a decent number of players might stick with it, to that end they have given FFXIV players freeplay until the game is fixed - it became a beta again to all intents and purposes, the big question, or rather questions, is how long till the game is made viable, and will people buy into it once it is (assuming they succeed of course) where FFXIV is, is in a place very few MMO's recover from.. in fact.. im not sure i can think of any that have risen from such dire straits so if SE manage to achieve this, it may well be an industry 'first' ..  .. or it might just end up being, as you say.. a lost cause..image

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

im sure that it is a lost cause, if not because of all the problems it has, because it seems to do as much as it can to make sure you get as little done in a period of time as possible.  Lets take a look at what any relatively uninformed gamer (of which I think I am one.  I may get some things wrong here so just say if im wrong) can see.

-XP per time period is capped.

-number of XP grind quests (guildleves?) capped per time period.

-crap load of crafting skills to spend time in.

-slow animations for crafting

-slow animations in combat

-slow combat

-slow UI (fixed?)

-no easy way to sell or buy things (fixed?) and no point if you are going to craft everything

-cinematics (though it can't be as bad as FF13...can it?)

-its a grind game

Odds are you will burn out before finishing the game, getting max level, or finding any end game to speak of.

@parrotpholk - Valid point about GW2...well, it would have been before Gamescom last August.  The hype met with reality and fell short (of reality) in my opinion.  I played it.  Its fast.  Its fun.  It promises to have amazing PvP (not just developer hype but what I can tell about the combat mechanics).  Its not all hype.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• LeagolxLeagolx Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by grimm6th

im sure that it is a lost cause, if not because of all the problems it has, because it seems to do as much as it can to make sure you get as little done in a period of time as possible.  Lets take a look at what any relatively uninformed gamer (of which I think I am one.  I may get some things wrong here so just say if im wrong) can see.

-XP per time period is capped. - Yes but its not as bad as they say.

-number of XP grind quests (guildleves?) capped per time period. - yes its a failed idea it was to promote grouping because origionally they thought that you would group for your leves and then other people would take theirs so you could keep doing them but ultimately it turned into do 4 solo and log off.

-crap load of crafting skills to spend time in. - yes but no recipes are kept so its a massive pain.

-slow animations for crafting - its a time sink and more interactive than darkfall so you have to have a lot of time.

-slow animations in combat - this has gotten better but its not fixed.

-slow combat - its more of its style this wont change.

-slow UI (fixed?) -sorta

-no easy way to sell or buy things (fixed?) and no point if you are going to craft everything - almost fixed

-cinematics (though it can't be as bad as FF13...can it?)

-its a grind game - ehh all games are to a point.

Odds are you will burn out before finishing the game, getting max level, or finding any end game to speak of.

as far as i know there is no end game and thats what is really hurting it for the people that did originally like it.

@parrotpholk - Valid point about GW2...well, it would have been before Gamescom last August.  The hype met with reality and fell short (of reality) in my opinion.  I played it.  Its fast.  Its fun.  It promises to have amazing PvP (not just developer hype but what I can tell about the combat mechanics).  Its not all hype.

If your going to ban the trolls please for our sake ban the Fan Boys too.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

I refused to play FFXIV. I am a person capable of reading, speaking and writing Japanese Language. Although I am not Japanese, I read a lot of their newspapers, understand their culture and take part in a lot of their beta games

I refuse to play games that are made by such a xenophobic culture.

The latest Japanese trend is to force people into buying handhelds and programming games for their cell phones and handhelds exclusive only to Japanese and making sure a person owns as many consoles and handhelds to continue a game. Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star are examples of games where in order to be able to play every game in the series you must own:

Computers, Handhelds, SmartPhones and Consoles..

When I buy a game natively on a PC I can start a series on PC and END it on PC. Not buy FOUR platforms in multiple Generations....I mean *sheesh* look at all one had to buy in order to play through Sonic The Hedgehog and The Legend of Zelda games, even Metroid!

Its just not my cup of tea, specially through all the money they took from people through all of those games that didn't live up to the hype.

• TylonTylon Member UncommonPosts: 51

Square Enix have admittedly messed up with FFXIV, as much as they are promising to fix it, I don't think it is possible to give it the overhaul it needs to stay competitive with other offerings that are out now, let alone coming in the near future.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

Final Fantasy 14 was programmed for Touch Systems more than Keyboards. However, they didn't predict that 80% of the population would not have a touch system to play the game. Even worse is that most who I know who do have touch systems tell me the response time is too slow going from screen to screen.

• LeagolxLeagolx Member Posts: 222

only time will tell and i think thats what we truly need to get from all of this. We have no idea what is going to be done with the game and in what time frame for all we know it could be fixed tommorow or 3 years from now. The game has massive problems but it also has removed a good portion of its old staff that caused the problems so its pretty clear the new group of people willl at some point fix the game its just at what cost and in what time frame.

If your going to ban the trolls please for our sake ban the Fan Boys too.

• kado2kado2 Member Posts: 80

MMO's are funny things in that they are barely the same game three months after launch than they are at launch. Will FFXIV be competative with future MMO's? It really depends on how bad a launch the future MMO's have (in terms of bugs and matching their own hype) and what aspects of FFXIV Square Enix decides to focus on fixing first. I for one will probably give FFXIV another shot sometime around live month five or six to see what has changed.

Retired: EVE, SWG, STO, EQ2, Ryzom, AO, LotRO, FFXI
    Currently Awaiting: SWTOR, TSW, ArcheAge