Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Keeping the Old Systems Running with the New

I just got the idea and I am sure that there are some companies out there. My idea is that we have companies that fix our old games and game systems so we don't have to throw them away and be sad. They can live once again. For example, repairing SNES, Sega Genesis, Atari, Sega Dreamcast, Nintendo, N64, etc. There needs to be people will the will to help keep these old games alive and running with the new. People this was the start for gaming, we have to appreciate our roots. It would be so awesome to fix these old systems that they don't even make games for and maybe open back up if the classic gaming industry is booming. That would be ridiculous for them to redesign games, still with the 2D simplicity but with modern game mechanics. Just an idea. What do you think?

:)

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

They have downloadables from the old catalog for basically all 3 systems, only the PS3 and Wii (which I heard is giving up on the idea) really went anywhere with it.

The problem with older systems, repairs, etc, is that the general rarity of them doesn't reflect the market price. It's hard as hell to find an unused NES system with games these days, but when you do, it's guaranteed to be like 20$. Makes no sense really, but that's the way that obsolete tech goes. Even though an older system still retains it's own use, and never really is affected by the newer stuff, since these games are not redone and can only be found on said systems, it still depreciates in value similar to VCRs at the advent of the DVD age. There is really no coming back.

As for newer games coming out and using old methods, one of my favorite companies is Vanillaware. They take 2d gaming to amazing places, hell, the production values alone are out of this world. It's a niche for sure, but any old timer keeps an eye out for their games in order to get that fix. I know I do.

Plenty of 2d sidescroller MMOs are out there, but they just don't mess with it for single-player games unless it's a company that is just starting up. In which case, they usually try to sell them on Xbox live arcade, Iphones, or whore themselves out on flash sites. The general interest just isn't there anymore I guess, because there are tons of kids who'se first Mario game was in 3d, and Halo might have been their first console game in general. It's only going to reach us fogeys in the same way that those games would for them. Niche, and for veterans who can't stand this new generation of console kiddies.

"We used to half to make Mario walk 15 miles uphill, both ways, and in only 2 dimensions to find the princess... just to find out the bitch was in another castle".

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• xjmartxxjmartx Member Posts: 2

Yea, I know a lot of systems have the Emulators on PC and you can even hookup that style of control to a USB port. It is a great way to keep the legend going. It is very true what you said about technology and this being view as obsolete now. I guess there won't be a rebirth like I was hoping for, but then again, you never know.

That is interesting about Vanillaware. Would you mind telling me more about them? What kind of games, platform(s), and if they are free, cost money, p2p, etc.? They sound like they have the right idea.

That is almost scary to me what you just said. This generations first Mario experience probably was in 3-D. O.o Very shocking, but at the same time, not so much. You have to accept reality and roll with it. 

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Vanilaware is a Japanese developer that specializes in 2d games, and what they do is pure art. The animations on all the sprites are as fluid as can be, and the backgrounds 'breath', if you catch my drift. They are most famous for Odin Sphere for the PS2, and their most recent game for the Wii called Muramasa: The Demon Blade was great too. The former is a spiritual successor to the game Princess Crown, which was made by the same people that eventually formed Vanillaware. I pretty much buy anything they release, like Level 5, which is another studio I constantly keep tabs on.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture