Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Action RPG (like Drakengard) are dead, and Story Driven RPG(like Bioware's products) are the new nor

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Seems like more and more RPG games are following Bioware's concepts of Story>Gameplay.

This has been something that concerns me about this age of video gaming.

During the PS2 age, the closest a (Story>gameplay) rpg game did well was in a turn base game.

But now RPG are over using the cutscene to the extreme, like Dragonage for example.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

Fable 3, two worlds 2, and fallout new vegas seem pretty action based to me.

look harder?

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

The Witcher to me was amazing and also based on a series of books. A Polish RPG series, but of course its a PC game...but I admit..Its an RPG done right.

The RPG itself had a version coming to Xbox360. In the end they cut production of it because they were asked to deliver a "lesser" product to cover the "age group" of 360 players.

The Witcher had a very dark story. Very Dark Language...It had full blood and gore and even had sex. You went through the game usually trying to pick the greater or lesser of two evils. 

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

Originally posted by Xirik

Fable 3, two worlds 2, and fallout new vegas seem pretty action based to me.

look harder?

Not to mention Torchlight and the yet to be released Diablo 3. Torchlight is a great Action RPG.

Bren

Edit: Oops, sorry forgot which forum I was in... As for consoles the selections of Action RPGs are quite limited these days compared to the PC.

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I may try Torchlight since it actually looks good and I had never heard of it. I want to try Fable III. The problem is that Fable 1 and 2 felt too kiddie like for me. I also hated using the same emotes emotes over and over again to grind through to get the actions I wanted from certain people. If Fable III still feels kiddie like and not really for adults, I may pass this time.

There Is Always Hope!

• UOvetUOvet Member Posts: 514

Originally posted by Shinami

The Witcher to me was amazing and also based on a series of books. A Polish RPG series, but of course its a PC game...but I admit..Its an RPG done right.

The RPG itself had a version coming to Xbox360. In the end they cut production of it because they were asked to deliver a "lesser" product to cover the "age group" of 360 players.

The Witcher had a very dark story. Very Dark Language...It had full blood and gore and even had sex. You went through the game usually trying to pick the greater or lesser of two evils. 

My real issue with the Witcher was the fact it seemed there was only like 5-6 variations of NPC models. I have the Enhanced Edition....I couldn't keep playing cause of this.

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417

I may be the only one that feels this way but bioware games put me to sleep. I actually feel asleep playing mass effect. That has never happen to me in my entire lifetime of playing games.

I like cut scenes but i think bioware overdoes it in the extreme. I want to feel like i'm playing a game, not watching a movie.

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

I think it is the opposit, story in RPGS seems pretty dead to me. Not even Bioware is telling good stories anymore and focus on pew pew instead. Was a long time ago I played a RPG with a really good story.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd