Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rant - How much is too much security?

Well, after 2 hours of trying to prove I am the original account holder of my FFXIV account to Square Enix, I give up.

What they're asking for is so tight, so secure, that my bank would have to bow down to them.

My account was hacked 2 months ago, but because of timezone differences and memory lapses, I've only just been able to get in contact with someone at Square Enix today.  They only offer phone or live chat support, and even then only during GMT 9am-5pm hours.  For me that's 7pm to 3am.  So after 2 months I finally remembered to get in touch with them thinking it'd be a simple process of verifying my name, date of birth, secret question and answer, and voila!

Nay, verily they saith unto me, "send us verification of thyself with photo ID, bearing your name and dob within the frame of picture".

I tried.  3 times.  Not good enough.  What ... the ... hell ...!  I mean, we're talking a COMPUTER GAME here, right?

So I say to you, when is security too much security?  I am no scammer, but they're still not sure of that because of their inhouse policies.  Why would I spend so much time trying and have such in depth knowledge of myself if I were a scammer?

How much is too much security?

/Oscarian

Comments

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by oscarian

So I say to you, when is security too much security?  I am no scammer, but they're still not sure of that because of their inhouse policies.  Why would I spend so much time trying and have such in depth knowledge of myself if I were a scammer?

Wouldn't  that beexactly  what a scammer would say?

• BMoorBMoor Member Posts: 202

Is all they are asking is a copy of  your photo ID such a driver's license? 

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214

I fully agree with OP, if its so hard to get an account back you should be entitled a refound since you just wasted that money.

I have 2 games that didt get hacked, EA deleted my account on warhammer by a mistake, and GW1 suddenly added character names to login, like i remeber a character i playd 3-4 years ago with name and surename

Since all support are in other country i need to stay up all night just to retrive an account that is mine, i bought it.

ID photo i have no problem with but that they cant handle that stuff over email is a hugh problem, both of em require me to call US and i speak english quite crappy so the hole prosess is just tiresome

• oscarianoscarian Member Posts: 116

Originally posted by BMoor

Is all they are asking is a copy of  your photo ID such a driver's license? 

That was the final step in the process.  I couldn't provide them with a legible copy because both of my cameras are too low quality, and I don't own a scanner.  That's what I meant by "not equipped".

/Oscarian

My point with the photo ID is that, not even my bank asks for that.  Imagine having to provide photo ID every time you wanted to retreive the password to your bank account?  Well that's what Square Enix are asking me to do.

I'm not that upset, really.  My sister has a scanner which I can borrow from her.  I just think it's a little over the top for, as menioned in my original post, a computer game.

/Oscarian

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

I'd rather them require a photo ID than let anyone call up claiming they were someone else and steal an account. Take your ID card somewhere, get it scanned and be done with it.

Originally posted by Torik

Wouldn't  that beexactly  what a scammer would say?

I guess my point was, how many scammers would spend 2 hours talking to inhouse support, including sending 3 different photo id's of themself purporting to be the end user?

/Oscarian

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012

My point with the photo ID is that, not even my bank asks for that.  Imagine having to provide photo ID every time you wanted to retreive the password to your bank account?  Well that's what Square Enix are asking me to do.

I'm not that upset, really.  My sister has a scanner which I can borrow from her.  I just think it's a little over the top for, as menioned in my original post, a computer game.

/Oscarian

My banks asks for one of several personal questions whenver I log into the account. If I'm trying to get my password it asks me a personal question, last 4 digits of social security number, my address and the last transaction on the account.

In short, a photo ID is just one of several ways to verfiy a person and they are all viable.

As far as your issue, you can go down to a copy shop and have the ID scanned.

here you go:

1/69 Ann Street, Brisbane - (07) 3221 5611

http://www.kwikkopy.com.au/

48 Warren Street, Fortitude Valley - (07) 3832 1411

http://www.quickcolour.com.au/

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • CIVVCIVV Member Posts: 6

I had the same situation happen to me with Blizzard, but that wasn't the only thing I was having issues with from them.

I'll begin my issue from the start.

I had been playing World of Warcraft since day one of release.  I quit when WoW:BC released.  Came back late into WoW: WotLK when I rejoined I never thought of reactivating my old account so I made a new one, level a character up to 80 and was raiding within weeks.  After 2 months or so I was bored of the character and wanted to level a new class, but I didn't want to level them from 1 to 80 again, so I had to reactivate my old account.

I merged the 2 accounts to one battle.net account and then transfered my old 60s to my new account so I didn't have to spend 30 dollars a month on the game. That was my first mistake. Apparently Blizzard allowed me to change characters from one account to another and it was going great.  Nothing wrong at all, 2 months rolled around, 3 and then 4 months later my account was closed. I found out on a raid night when my guild was attempting Lich King.

So I called Blizzard technical support and they explained how they had sent several e-mails on how I had gone against their rule. I talked to them about it, they said "it was a simple account lock, all you had to do is provide basic information to notify them that it is actually my account." I said fine, and gave them my secret password and the credit card that was use to make the purchases for the subscription.

Here is where it got shady, when you play the game you don't realize how much twisted rules are in the EULA until they hit you with it.  Fort starters, when they lock down an account you lose the subscription you paid for that month.  Second, they allow you to have character transfers from account to account but you HAVE to have the exact names for each battle.net account otherwise they will automatically reverse every payment you did for the accounts.  If you read further into it, Blizzard does not have to refund your money at all.

How they got me is like this; on that Friday night while my guild was doing Lich King I was on the phone with Blizzard Technical Support. After giving them my information they unlocked my account, and I was back in the game, or so it seemed.  That night I got into the raid late and was having an awful time with Lich King attempts, we were on our 7th or so when I was suddenly disconnected.  I said, "oh great I lost connection." Our group wiped and cleaned up and waited for me to log in.  I tried my password 3-4 times, I couldn't log back in, people were saying over vent you might have been hacked.  So I went into my battle.net account again and found out it was frozen again, by this time I said F*** it I'll deal with in the morning, and the guild went on without me for the rest of the night.

The next day I called up Blizzard support to see what the fuss was with my account this time, the customer service rep. said," the information you have provided wasn't enough to validate that you are the owner of this account, you need to provide, a drivers license, green card, birth certificate, and or a SSN. The more information you can give us the easier it'll be to validate the account." I played along with it, said, "sure I can send in a drivers license." I took a photo of it and sent it by e-mail.

A few hours later my account was back up and I was ready to go again for the Lich King attempts on Sunday. So I took the day off on Saturday doing other thing around the hour playing some League of Legends with some buddies Sunday rolled around the account was good, but I had to update my subscription because it no longer existed, so another 15 dollars down the drain, that was 30 dollars on the game that weekend so far. My guild and I were back in ICC and doing more attempts for Lich King and by the end of the night we were unsuccessful, so we called it a night around 2 in the morning and planned for a few more attempts later Monday.

After getting home from work that Monday around 6:00 PM I got onto my computer and was playing more League of Legends with my buddies, when 8:00 rolled around my guild was logging in, and I myself was just finishing up League of Legends to join them. I loaded up World of Warcraft typed in my name, and password, and to no surprise, Blizzard had struck again, I could not log into my account. I was pissed that night. Told my guild I was going to take a break for a week and settle everything Blizzard was doing to my account.

Wednesday rolled around and I called up Blizzard Customer Support talked to them about issues with my account, they said the same thing they said last weekend, "the information you have given us isn't enough to confirm you are the valid owner of the account, you need to supply us with more information."  I laughed, and I laughed hard at this person on the other line, I said to him, "Sir, there is no way in F***ing hell am I giving you more identification on top of what I have already given you, I have given you my credit card, I have given you my Drivers License, now you want more? F*** YOU, all you are doing is stealing money from me," and hung up on the the Customer Support.

Later that weekend I gave one last E-mail to Blizzard support, it was war.  I sent in an E-mail to [email protected] the person who was in investigation of my account at the time. I said to him simply, " I would like this dispute to be forwarded to your supervisor. This has gone on long enough, you have claimed that I am not the owner of this account several time and deliberately disabled my account forcing me to pay for a new subscription fee every time the account has been locked down, I have given you sufficient enough information for you to validate this account. I am tired of it. At this point you and or your company is stealing from me."

The following Monday I received an E-mail from a new GM. They claimed that they would no longer be investigating my account and they will be refunding all transactions during the time period that the dispute occurred. A few days later my bank account had a +300 deposite from Blizzard, and I said my goodbyes to my guild members. I replied to the new GM stating, " I have been a loyal customer for blizzard for many years, I've played almost every game your company has released, I will not fall victim to a company who is this shady to their customers."

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Well, after 2 hours of trying to prove I am the original account holder of my FFXIV account to Square Enix, I give up.

What they're asking for is so tight, so secure, that my bank would have to bow down to them.

My account was hacked 2 months ago, but because of timezone differences and memory lapses, I've only just been able to get in contact with someone at Square Enix today.  They only offer phone or live chat support, and even then only during GMT 9am-5pm hours.  For me that's 7pm to 3am.  So after 2 months I finally remembered to get in touch with them thinking it'd be a simple process of verifying my name, date of birth, secret question and answer, and voila!

Nay, verily they saith unto me, "send us verification of thyself with photo ID, bearing your name and dob within the frame of picture".

I tried.  3 times.  Not good enough.  What ... the ... hell ...!  I mean, we're talking a COMPUTER GAME here, right?

How much is too much security?

/Oscarian

If my bank doesn't ask for photo ID when I'm trying to do something on my account (esp if i lost my online login info and have to go to a branch) then I will move banks.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.