Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if vanguard was free would more people play it?

odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

im sure this has been asked before..this game was pretty dam good when i 1st started on release but at the same time as wow and many other games peaking they did a horrible way of pushing this game to the masses..so i droped this to go off and play something new and more reactive "cant remember what it was" and after about a year 1/2 off came back and played again ..it was great still!....but then i was driven to play something else...the main reasons why i left everytime was because no one in the community would ever respond to anything..not even a normal everyday random chat..nothing nodda...so i was wondering..if they made this free2play dont you guys think that there would be lots more fun to be played in VG ? with people really looking for groups at all lvl ranges and people would start useing the chat boxes for chating and also it would be great just to see people runing around "in game" to let you know people are still in VG..eq2 went to a f2play so why not VG and push it with adds on ALL the f2p sites out there..your thoughts?

Comments

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

It it were realy free.  As in I could log in and play and not be hamstrung to the point of shelling out more a month that what a sub would cost,  sure I would.

However soe is bound and determined to see this game die,   heck they even took pobts free to play and eq2 but still vangaurd is stuck in the dirt as the red haird step child.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Originally posted by erictlewis

It it were realy free.  As in I could log in and play and not be hamstrung to the point of shelling out more a month that what a sub would cost,  sure I would.

However soe is bound and determined to see this game die,   heck they even took pobts free to play and eq2 but still vangaurd is stuck in the dirt as the red haird step child.

But then how would they make money? There has to be some incentive for players to pay "something".

Even if they did it the way that LOTRO did it then that could work.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

The short answer is yes...in the short term.Though many players have been condictioned to WOW easy mode content. They would leave in short order.Others would stay.Their continued presence would depend on SONY supporting the game.Something it is barely doing atm.

Do I hope it happens ? I hope the game gets an owner who appreciates the unique features of this game.If ftp is the stimulus to make that happen....great.

Yes,I currently play VG.There's nothing  as deep...and epic in my opinion.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

No thanks.

Right now people are paying about $15 a month to play Vanguard and SOE moved all but one dev off the team. So for a paid premium product they are providing virtually zero content updates and still nearly four years after release are doing nothing to fix the bugs that have been in since beta.

If they stop collecting the premium fee who is going to pay the one guys salary?

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

Originally posted by Sovrath

But then how would they make money? There has to be some incentive for players to pay "something".

VG would make money somehow on selling some things like armor weps pots special items like everyone else does..theres ways...but it seems maybe VG isnt solely owned by soe? and theres another party thats saying no! we dont wanna do this..just let people keep paying untill they stop paying ..then pull the cord...imo thats what could be going on but idk

Originally posted by odinsrath

Originally posted by Sovrath

VG would make money somehow on selling some things like armor weps pots special items like everyone else does..theres ways...but it seems maybe VG isnt solely owned by soe? and theres another party thats saying no! we dont wanna do this..just let people keep paying untill they stop paying ..then pull the cord...imo thats what could be going on but idk

I think the issue is that it would cost too much to change the game over, possibly because the game is so old. Turbine, when asked if Asheron's call would go freemium, remarked that the effort to change the game over would not at this time be cost effective.

It's very possible that is the reason it's not free to play or freemium.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• FogertyFogerty Member UncommonPosts: 24

We'll probably never know if it's even being looked into seriously. You can knock, but no one's home. PR is non existent. 

Tyrust - EQ
    Proximo - EQII
    Proximo - Warhammer Online
    Fogerty - Vanguard

• RaiveeRaivee Member Posts: 48

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

The short answer is yes...in the short term.Though many players have been condictioned to WOW easy mode content. They would leave in short order.Others would stay.Their continued presence would depend on SONY supporting the game.Something it is barely doing atm.

Do I hope it happens ? I hope the game gets an owner who appreciates the unique features of this game.If ftp is the stimulus to make that happen....great.

I find it so funny when people thinkg VG is so difficult when in reality its just as easy as any of mmo out there. People and their dillusions, its great.

Originally posted by Raivee

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I find it so funny when people thinkg VG is so difficult when in reality its just as easy as any of mmo out there. People and their dillusions, its great.

Maybe you can look a little bit beyond your statement.

It's not that Vanguard is "harder" to play but that it has things that add a bit more challenge here and there.

In wandering around one might find an area that has extremely easy mobs to your level only to then come across a temple that has 4 dot mobs that require a group or at least a few more to take down. The other night I pulled a mob and got another that I didn't expect. in a game like lotro or wow, this isn't really that hard. But in Vanguard they were a bit tougher to take down as they were 3 or 4 dot mobs (can't remember) and had far more hit points.

One can be in an easy area and have a named mob surprise you that might require an additional person.

It' really hearkens back to the whole grouping thing and making vanguard a more group friendly game.

There are areas that are just more group friendly where a person who is solo or duo might stumble on something they didn't plan on.

Also, the crafting seems a bit more in depth than some other games I've tried.

But none of these games are really truly "hard".

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Originally posted by Murashu

No thanks.

Right now people are paying about $15 a month to play Vanguard and SOE moved all but one dev off the team. So for a paid premium product they are providing virtually zero content updates and still nearly four years after release are doing nothing to fix the bugs that have been in since beta.

If they stop collecting the premium fee who is going to pay the one guys salary?

If VG has 0 full-time devs on the team, and that the game hasn't seen a patch in almost a year now, and that there have been no announcement of any sort.  I only have one question to ask you...  how could it hurt to go free-to-play?  You obviously don't understand the concept of f2p otherwise you wouldn't have said what you said about not paying salaries.  F2P means the game would be F2P, but it would have items & content added for purchase.  Free to play may be about the ONLY thing left that can save Vanguard from this slow grinding death.  Honestly it's only the existing current Vanguard players, what's left of it, that can be so hard nosed about F2P.

And one thing you need to know about SOE, they utilize shared resources.  Developers employeed under SOE gets paid no matter what, they simply get put under various different projects that SOE has.  These projects may include expansion packs for games that still get them, EQ1 & EQ2 come to mind.  Or they may be new games coming out or under development.  You noticed Vanguard currently has ZERO devs on its team right?  ZERO patches in almost a year.  ZERO communication on the forums even except for Naylie who is simply a community relations person, someone who happens to also handle posting on other SOE gaming forums.

So think about it again, how would free to play hurt the game given the current state of the game?  The answer to the topic in question is an obviously, 100% yes, more people would play Vanguard if it was free.  People are not going to hop into a dead-end 4 year old game with no development, no patches, no expansions, no dev forum posts, no fan faire panels, no anything really other than the leftover hardcore VG players that still think VG is the best thing there is and well populated with only 400'ish players on during primetime on a single server that's left in VG.

On a bright note, happy new year, that's at least something positive.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

SOE bought this to kill it. So good luck.

• VazertVazert Member Posts: 60

I was seriouly considering the question then i remembered who is running the game.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622
    If this went FTP I would scoop it up in the blink of an eye. Unfourtantly the stench of death surrounds this game thanks to SOE, but nothing beats this game in terms of epicness and free roaming. Wonderful game that needs some life.
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I think if  Vanguard went F2P it would breathe a great deal of life into it..

The only thing thats keeping me from going back to it is paying monthly while the game remains stagnant due to the company behind it.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Due to the level of content and depth of the game, it will never be made free.. Well as long as SoE has control of it.. There is no real way to "limit" the game without basically destroying it in the process.. If they were going to do F2P, they would have to basically leave the game as it is and just open a cash shop with mounts, xp and crafting items etc.. (fluff and stuff) and thats just not how SoE wants to do things..

As soon as they find a way (if there is any) to rip away half of the races and classes, they will make a "F2P" version.. But they have already confused some people with their "F2P" definition.. EQ2X is what we call an "unlimited trial"..

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

The real question, for SOE, is would it make more money..........I doubt it. 

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471

Originally posted by Vyeth

Due to the level of content and depth of the game, it will never be made free.. Well as long as SoE has control of it.. There is no real way to "limit" the game without basically destroying it in the process.. If they were going to do F2P, they would have to basically leave the game as it is and just open a cash shop with mounts, xp and crafting items etc.. (fluff and stuff) and thats just not how SoE wants to do things..

As soon as they find a way (if there is any) to rip away half of the races and classes, they will make a "F2P" version.. But they have already confused some people with their "F2P" definition.. EQ2X is what we call an "unlimited trial"..

I like the EQ2x and what it offers.  So what I have a couple limitations.  I like my Gaurdian :)

And yes, alot more people would play if it were TRULY free.  

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• OcirusskdOcirusskd Member Posts: 212

I really think SoE  just has this game running in the back janitors closet as long as it pays for itself and wouldn’t invest any money into developing a f2p because it wouldn’t net large enough gains.  They would want to spend that money in other games that would net a better profit per dollar spent

• japojapo Member Posts: 306

Yeh....not sure how one calls EQ2X an "unlimited trial".  You can play like 8 classes and 8 races all the way to the end without spending a buck.

How many more games, F2P or P2P offer that?

Anyway...I play EQ2X and would go back to Vanguard in a heartbeat if it were F2P.

• tron21369tron21369 Member Posts: 73

SOE screw alot of games  look at SWG   my friends used to play it when they saw SOE is gonna work it they left it  lol   and now DC online with SOE      and WB            WB  if your out there should stick with biowar   beter company then SOE     soe is gona realy mess up DC online 

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

If I can make a hit videogame from "Game Dev Story" I know SOE can hire 4 - 5 more peeps on this game which I bet would help. I'm DL'ing it right now. Only 5 on steam.

• DIR3W0LFDIR3W0LF Member UncommonPosts: 64

i would definitely play it again! I even would right now, but i don't have a VISA card anymore so i'm quite banished from mmorpg's for a while..

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

No. Never happen.  Vanguards time has come and gone. I would never ever play it because it's old and tired, and there isn't enough of an audiience to sustain my impression of a massively-multiplayer organic world.

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

No. Never happen.  Vanguards time has come and gone. I would never ever play it because it's old and tired, and there isn't enough of an audiience to sustain my impression of a massively-multiplayer organic world.

LOL! As for the topic HA! It'd just further put the nail in the coffin for this zombie

It's basically EQ 2.5 it's been done it's tired and worn out

The only thing it had going for it was the level of custimization which even then wasn't horribly great because it was just TOO much control it took you 20 min. to make a character to your liking lol

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I would come back to Vanguard if a studio owned it who cared for the game. The land mass is beautiful.  The design of the game needs true content  love'n. SOE would you be willing to sell the game?