Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Urgently require a new mmo, boredom has struck :S!

SirLimboSirLimbo Member Posts: 42

Ok, so my partner, my friend and I have all been playing AION. However it is getting to the point now where we are really forced to join in much bigger groups to get anything done. We are all currently waiting on SWTOR but that's still going to be a while and AION community is really killing the game for itself at the moment. So really the question I pose is, 

Are there any current MMO's out there where 3 people can play 90% of the content at least without being forced into joining larger groups/have amazing gear just to actually enjoy the game?

If possible, I'd like the game to be recent, be p2p general experience with f2p is that they cost more money to get anywhere, not too worried if its Sci-fi or fantasy, PVP is a preference but not an utmost requirement and finally it can't be a game that is going to take forever and a year to get into so no extreme grind anything up to the equivalent of AION's grind is acceptable. 

Comments

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468
  • NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

I think youre fcked just like everyone else lol.

• takayitakayi Member Posts: 158

Might I suggest Lord of the Rings Online? It is a "Free 2 Pay" - game, but to be honest, it will be cheaper for you to just pay the monthly subscription, and get the cash store points for free (500 / month if you subscribe). It is a lovely game, that can be played with just 3 players, for the most parts. The instances are 6-man (and some are 3-man), and there are also raids, which are 12-men, but its not necessary for you to do them.

The community is quite nice, at least for the European realms. There obviously are some trolls and such since its F2P, but it really wont ruin your gameplay, as most of the people are quite helpful.

And yes, you can try it for free... forever.

• SirLimboSirLimbo Member Posts: 42

Lol :( I figured as much :(.

With regards to DCUO I'm not sure my partner will do so well at that, I've been reading and it's like an action game, so she will probably get slaughtered with the combo's :S my friend on the other hand is one of those that remembers all the insanely long combos from games like Dragon Ball Z fighters so he will probably do well. Is there a UK / Pre-order or anything their website doesn't have much info for UK purchases. I might give it a look into.

Other than DCUO am I really that out of luck :S has the MMO market really become a place where you cannot do anything without large groups and super fantastic items :S what happened to the old days of the 2 almost 3D scrollers like Legend of Mir or Ultima :S

Originally posted by takayi

Might I suggest Lord of the Rings Online? It is a "Free 2 Pay" - game, but to be honest, it will be cheaper for you to just pay the monthly subscription, and get the cash store points for free (500 / month if you subscribe). It is a lovely game, that can be played with just 3 players, for the most parts. The instances are 6-man (and some are 3-man), and there are also raids, which are 12-men, but its not necessary for you to do them.

The community is quite nice, at least for the European realms. There obviously are some trolls and such since its F2P, but it really wont ruin your gameplay, as most of the people are quite helpful.

And yes, you can try it for free... forever.

Might be worth a try, haven't looked into this one, thanks for reminding me about it :)

You can pre order DCUO on steam.

You guys should give DCUO atlest one hour. The combo thingy you're talking about is not as bad as you put it. Here's a combat guide:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3977195/DCUO-Combat-Demystified-aka-why-Oldschool-MMOers-wont-get-it.html#3977195

The best PVP I've seen, but I haven't seen a lot so (only WoW, FFXI)...

Anyways you gotta give it a try.

Besides DCUO is your ONLY option.

You said new and few people could do stuff together and no grind. DCUO!

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

LOTRO is an excellent MMO.. theres little end game but getting to the point where you realise that is a pleasure. Proper PvP would probably make it the best game out at the moment, doubt they will ever add it though.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

DCUO isnt out yet tho and here in europe you dont get beta keys do you?

• VaenVaen Member Posts: 140

I'd love to play Darkfall or EVE with couple of friends. No other games really put as much value in grouping, apart from doing those 4, 5 or whatever man instances, which is you can find in many games. LotRO?

Originally posted by nomss

You guys should give DCUO atlest one hour. The combo thingy you're talking about is not as bad as you put it. Here's a combat guide:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3977195/DCUO-Combat-Demystified-aka-why-Oldschool-MMOers-wont-get-it.html#3977195

Ok I'll give DCUO ago. Whilst I'm waiting for it to come out I'll try LOTRO. Thanks for the advice :)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

My take on DCUO is that its basically like Grand Theft Auto and All Point Bulletin.. while this isn't such a bad thing, I don't think its what most current MMO gamers were wanting/expecting. I find it hard to recommend it to people coming from traditional MMORPG's, its aimed at different audience.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

No it's not out. I'm not sure if europe gets beta key. But it's 12 days away. You mentioned 3 people, I guess one person might have to buy a copy and all 3 of you could try it. Anyways, I'd say give it a shot.

Originally posted by SirLimbo

Originally posted by nomss

Ok I'll give DCUO ago. Whilst I'm waiting for it to come out I'll try LOTRO. Thanks for the advice :)

Good Job SirLimbo! I knew you were a smart guy :)

lol

Anyways, I hope you like the games :D

Oh, you could probably check out gameplay videos for DCUO.

They really don't seem to be doing much if anything for the European community on DCUO :S

Yea sorry, I know it's always best to try the game before you spend $50. I can only suggest maybe you check out some videos. As for myself, I might do life time subscription. I REALLY like the game.

The work done on Voice overs is awsome. I don't think there has been a MMO before DCUO to feature this amount of voice overs.

Story telling is really cool. Yea we got quests of type kill x of y, and collect y of x... What can you do about it?

I wouldn't call this game only for comic fans either, as I have never picked a comic book myself and I LOVE the game.

Any how, if you've got questions feel free.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by SirLimbo

Ok, so my partner, my friend and I have all been playing AION. However it is getting to the point now where we are really forced to join in much bigger groups to get anything done. We are all currently waiting on SWTOR but that's still going to be a while and AION community is really killing the game for itself at the moment. So really the question I pose is, 

Are there any current MMO's out there where 3 people can play 90% of the content at least without being forced into joining larger groups/have amazing gear just to actually enjoy the game?

If possible, I'd like the game to be recent, be p2p general experience with f2p is that they cost more money to get anywhere, not too worried if its Sci-fi or fantasy, PVP is a preference but not an utmost requirement and finally it can't be a game that is going to take forever and a year to get into so no extreme grind anything up to the equivalent of AION's grind is acceptable. 

Guildwars or DDO would work, GW is probably best since you can do more or less all content in the game with 3 guys with or without getting PUGs. It is B2P and the itemshop is not worse than Wows shop, it sells only fluff, character slots and extra abnk space. Buy the game, play as long as you like without any extra fee.

Otherwise, maybe you should try out Rift, it is bound to release really soon. I am not sure if you can play 90% of the content there however, I think only Guildwars allows that (since you get "heroes" you can design with a surprisingly good AI to fill out the group as well as you can use henchmens).