Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost all games all base on xp dx9.0c PC is losing bigtime:(

EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

PC is losing bigtime im affraid.

Look at Dragon age 2 again dx9.0c in 2011 WTF:( more action lesser freedom over your party, and game will direct you you dont have choice anymore no freedom to explore.

And all top games released in 2010 are also dx9.0c where are the dx11 games? and why is still most games on xp while its old and not supported anymore?

Are you all poor and cant afford newer hardware plus win7 64bit so you can play dx11?

Win7 is backward compatible so you can still play most old games but its faster and way better then xp or vista.

More and more games are exclusif for console and only when its huge succes its ported (poorly) to PC name a pc game thats fully dx11 and exclusif for pc.....none, many ports are awkward controls becouse made for console and developers dont take time optimizez for PC anymore:(

The Witcher2 will be exclusif for pc but in dx9.0c and they will release it without and restriction so you can be sure most will get it free and downloaded alot why oh why CD Project?:(

Its all you stupid illegal downloaders who destroying my beloved PC gaming platform:(

I bought this year Risen rpg in box, Devinity 2 in box, TheWitcher Platinum edition in box, Two worlds 2 in box, Divinity 2 Dragon Knight saga in box, Dragon age Awakening in box, Metro 2033 in box and stalker pripyat in box.

Could not buy more becouse also playing a mmo everyday hehe.

I got over years alot games bought in gameshop(i like a game box sitting on my bookshelf)prolly around 100+ not counted hehe.

Never downloaded one game ive not payed for.

But for what,  PC is still dying despite all my effords, here in holland we dont have PC magazine in dutch anymore last one PC Gameplay, went multi platform:(

I see pc games have in most game shops in my town less and less space on shelfs and we have alot of gameshops become smaller and smaller, its these days all console.

Even blizzard last company that only make pc games and not consolegames concider Diablo3 maybe going to console.

As diehard pc gamer im depressed and future dont look good also with browser games comming more and more:(

For now im playing a mmo and rpgs i still need to finish but for future i see myself not buying any games anymore and playing my old games only.

Maybe i even quit internet all together there only after your money and privacy hehe bah:(

Play PC games sinds quake1.

Well good year all and i hope somehow PC in 2011 will become more importend for developers and less people dl free games and buy more games.

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

Comments

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

Mostly because no one wanted vista. *shrug* You'll see a sharp uptake in newer dx engines soonish. The whole "oh god the sky is falling" thing is.. meh. It's vastly untrue when you look at the numbers.

Shadus

• maxebornmaxeborn Member Posts: 148

no idea what you are going on about

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

If you live in cave yes then you wont know what im talking about but if you get some facts how PC is doing is not so good, more and more developers dont even make games anymore for PC becouse they dont make much money on PC gaming platform.

And for games that are dl through portals like steam looks ok but its not and most games you can buy are console first and dx9.0c only.

PC is in so many ways superior to console hardware wise but all developers ignore it and still many games can be played much better with mouse+keyboard then gamepad.

Im 100% positive there still many out there that wanne play like 10 years ago, but no we must chance to what mass these days want result games are dumb down beyond believe.

You will see what i mean when you gonne play DA2 bioware wants $$$ so they go for mass that want easy gameplay fast action less reading and hold hand thats what new DA2 will be plus so many other games also, browser games that soon will be future will be even worse :(

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

Guess you can read into the future eh? Might want to read about Battlefield 3 and the next up coming games. Wouldn't say PC is losing big time, pretty big statement.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by Evasia

If you live in cave yes then you wont know what im talking about but if you get some facts how PC is doing is not so good, more and more developers dont even make games anymore for PC becouse they dont make much money on PC gaming platform.

And for games that are dl through portals like steam looks ok but its not and most games you can buy are console first and dx9.0c only.

PC is in so many ways superior to console hardware wise but all developers ignore it and still many games can be played much better with mouse+keyboard then gamepad.

Im 100% positive there still many out there that wanne play like 10 years ago, but no we must chance to what mass these days want result games are dumb down beyond believe.

You will see what i mean when you gonne play DA2 bioware wants $$$ so they go for mass that want easy gameplay fast action less reading and hold hand thats what new DA2 will be plus so many other games also, browser games that soon will be future will be even worse :(

Do you live in a cave?  PC gaming is going the route of digital downloads, and in a couple years I imagine it might be completely digital.  There a lot of PC gamers, and unfortunately store have never been able stock a PC section with quality stuff.  Maybe your to young to remember when you went into that electronics shop that carried one or or two titles and you actually went to computer show to purchase a game as well. (BTW, I see console games going that route shortly after)

Why have developers not jumped on the Dx10 or 11 bandwagon?  There is a few games that have been made that use the technology, but most companies would prefer a wider range of playability versus heavy atmospheric.  But to say that its losing bigtime because they aren't using the technology is absurd.

Games are dumbed down, and developers are taking notice that their audience doesn't want it.  Are a lot of people listening?  No, but a lot of smaller studios are.  You know the ones that that are up and coming like the older ones that used to produce quality stuff.  There is a reason why I only purchase most single player games once I can get them for less than 10bucks.

On a sidenote, we've been hearing PC gaming is dead for years now.  Again, it is not anywhere near dead, just stores are to damn expensive and D/L places like Steam/D2D and the other ones are going to be where its at.

• RegenRegen Member Posts: 53

And all top games released in 2010 are also dx9.0c where are the dx11 games? and why is still most games on xp while its old and not supported anymore?
    Are you all poor and cant afford newer hardware plus win7 64bit so you can play dx11?
    Win7 is backward compatible so you can still play most old games but its faster and way better then xp or vista.

Iam not an expert on DirectX but since you seem to be, please explain why i should buy a shitty new version of windows thats even more problematic to use, not compatible with older software, and generaly just annoying.

Whats the big difference between DirectX9c and DirectX11? Is there really something revolutionary about it?

Why cant Microsoft build on their older Operating System and make things compatible? Is there really ANY reason for DirectX11 to NOT work on XP?

Why not just use a API like OpenGL or something that got multi-platform support?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/261448/page/5

"I'd just like to see more games that focus on the world, and giving the people in it more of a role, im tired of these constant single player games that you can walk around with millions of people."

- Parsalin

• ravtecravtec Member Posts: 214

They have been slow to make dx10/11 the standard, dx9 came very fast if im not wrong.

This might be becouse you need vista or newer to use those features. Now most people probably has windows 7 i guess, but alot of people dropd vista

i got win7 but use xp atm since my crappy pc cant run games in windows 7

Steam is the only place i buy games and have been so for a few years now, i see no reason to go to the store and pay more for the extra effort.

• demarusdemarus Member UncommonPosts: 2

Obviously, there are a lot of reasons why dxd9 based games are still being made. The most important one is that there are many people (including myself) that still use windows xp and developers want to make their game more accessible to potential customers. But you're forgetting to put other things into consideration -just to give an example, most devs are not familiar with the new versions of directx, meaning they have to learn them, which requires additional funding.

I also fail to understand how the 2nd part of original post is connected with any of this.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Dude have you looked at what Steam has to offer for the PC market? A lot is going for it.

PC games are heading more towards the digital download way than boxed versions.

Besides i don't see PC games losing anytime soon either.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

I agree that the PC market is rather terrible, but its mainly because of consoles, games are developed for consoles and ported to PC, but Evasia is on the money, guess what DX version xbox 360 uses...ah huh...9.

Every "AAA" title released on PC recently besides what RTS games? is a console port.

we get the terrible ports, pretty much untouched with their terrible UI, controls, their DX9 graphics and their games running on outdated engines. (im looking at you fallout:NV) hell look even DCUO is a console port...

There is far more money in developing for consoles because of the user base, since people prefer to play on their couch...with their $300.00 system...rather than $3000.00...

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Originally posted by skyexile

I agree that the PC market is rather terrible, but its mainly because of consoles, games are developed for consoles and ported to PC, but Evasia is on the money, guess what DX version xbox 360 uses...ah huh...9.

Every "AAA" title released on PC recently besides what RTS games? is a console port.

we get the terrible ports, pretty much untouched with their terrible UI, controls, their DX9 graphics and their games running on outdated engines. (im looking at you fallout:NV) hell look even DCUO is a console port...

There is far more money in developing for consoles because of the user base, since people prefer to play on their couch...with their $300.00 system...rather than $3000.00...

I agree with everything EXCEPT that last line. Everyone says "$3,000 computer" when in fact you can build are really good one for as little as $500. The  other thing that was not mentioned is that because consoles are not "upgradable" and don't come in multiple configurations, game makers can crank out cookie cutter game pretyy quickly. They don't have to have high end graphics nor do they have to be particularlly good gameplay wise. They can be put together faster and cheaper then a really good AAA PC game.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• TzetothTzetoth Member Posts: 67

Honestly everything is going the way of digital download. I remember talk of the next Playstation being digital only. The developers that say they don't make their money back from PC releases usually have ridiculously high development costs and huge teams. The smart guys have a smaller development cycle, sell their product at a relative bargain, and spread it across Xbox Live Arcade, PSN, and PC digital download outlets.

Funny enough, some console players said digital download would never work. Then again, they're the ones who pay $60 for barely a mod of a game.

But yeah, as stated before Steam is doing extremely well. By my estimations they're going to have at least $300 million in sales this winter period. Probably more.

tl;dr = durrr

• mrshroom89mrshroom89 Member UncommonPosts: 224

Devs are still learning the ins and outs of dx11.  Also the average pc gamer doesn't have a pc that is dx11 compatible, theres no point in making an amazing looking game if only 10% of the market can play it.  

example. EQ2 on release failed because hardly anyone could play it with them pretty graphics on release.

C

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Casuals can barely meet hardware requirements for the 2009 DX9c.  Forcing games into running DX11 at the lowest only works with niche games and hardcores.  Aunt Suzie's three year old netbook sure isn't going to cut it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

DirectX 10 didn't catch on because it was a massive pain to code for, and even if you did do all of the work, the main effect of DirectX 10 features was lower frame rates.  Add to that that most people couldn't run it because it was Vista-only and DirectX 10 was pointless.

DirectX 11 will catch on.  It will just take a while.  Tessellation is a very different way of doing graphical models from what game companies are used to, but they'll pick it up eventually.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

I think the future is bright because of download platforms like Steam. I get access to games like Braid, Psychonauts, Beat Hazard, World of Goo, Machinarium, The Misadventures of PB Winterbottom etc for very reasonable prices. I actually have so many games i have bought on Steam i wonder when i will find the time to play them all lol.

I couldn't see a game like Minecraft existing with PC's.

Maybe we are seeing some big name developers move more to consoles but really i find a lot of AAA games are vastly over rated and over priced.

Gaming is still in its infancy compared to music or movies. The technology we all play on has a lot of converging to do. When someone films a big blockbuster movie they don't have to spent time making sure it plays on multiple platforms. Imagine if they had to film a separate movie for each country it was to be played in. What it converges into is up for debate but i don't doubt it will happen eventually.

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239

There's a staggering amount of cluelessness in this thread.

The answer is simple: developers are still using DX9 because a significant portion of their userbase is still using Windows XP, which is restricted to 9. As we see more box sells of new computers, you'll see more developers slowly shift to the new versions of DX. In all likely hood we're going to see a slow migration from DX9 directly to DX11.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Originally posted by Cyrael

There's a staggering amount of cluelessness in this thread.

The answer is simple: developers are still using DX9 because a significant portion of their userbase is still using Windows XP, which is restricted to 9. 

That's why DirectX 10 didn't catch on, but not 11.  DirectX 11 is backward compatible.  If a DirectX 11 game detects DirectX 9.0c OS or hardware, it simply disables the DirectX 10 and 11 features and then otherwise runs the DirectX 11 code path.  Games often have an option for high graphical settings even knowing that a lot of their players won't be able to run them, but will have to turn graphical settings down.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Originally posted by Gruug

I agree with everything EXCEPT that last line. Everyone says "$3,000 computer" when in fact you can build are really good one for as little as $500. The  other thing that was not mentioned is that because consoles are not "upgradable" and don't come in multiple configurations, game makers can crank out cookie cutter game pretyy quickly. They don't have to have high end graphics nor do they have to be particularlly good gameplay wise. They can be put together faster and cheaper then a really good AAA PC game.

yea I dont know what the prices are of PC's in the US, but here alone its AU$359.00 for a 5870.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791

Originally posted by Gruug

yea I dont know what the prices are of PC's in the US, but here alone its AU$359.00 for a 5870.

Well that is probably more because they ship it to the U.S. first then redistribute it back your way adding cost. It is odd that they just don't ship some direct to Aus since most of that stuff is made in Asia anyway.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• maxebornmaxeborn Member Posts: 148

"Your knowledge is so stunningly superficial it's almost embarrassing to listen to you"

• FandinFandin Member UncommonPosts: 55

I literally got a headache from trying to piece together your sentences, into coherent thoughts.

Thanks.

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Originally posted by Regen

Iam not an expert on DirectX but since you seem to be, please explain why i should buy a shitty new version of windows thats even more problematic to use, not compatible with older software, and generaly just annoying.

Windows 7 isn't problematic to use, compatible with older software and generally awesome. Been using for a lot of time now and I'm really happy with it. From where did you came up with that? Did you read it in mac's forums?

Op you really think that pc gaming is dying lately because of pirates? You really think that software pirating started only lately? Plus box sales are dead now for pc and that's better for developers. They don't have to share the money with the distributors now. No extra fees for packaging and shipping = lower prices = more peoples buy. 

And btw pc gamers get their games for a lot cheaper than console gamers do. If there is something that is hurting PC except the pirates are Sony and Microsoft with their exclusives for their consoles. 

• RegenRegen Member Posts: 53

Originally posted by Edli

Originally posted by Regen

Windows 7 isn't problematic to use, compatible with older software and generally awesome. Been using for a lot of time now and I'm really happy with it. From where did you came up with that? Did you read it in mac's forums?

I came up with that the last time i tried out Windows7. It dont look or feel like XP, it dont do things in the same way. I dont see how its good complicate things and make them harder to do.

As for the software, i seem to remember getting a warning message when installing something thats not made for the OS. The software installs, and it dont work.. if youre using discontinued software then thats a problem, especialy if theres no other software that can do the job. If you really wanna argue about the compability part, you should try running something with dependencies.

And no i did not read the mac forum, was that a real question?

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/261448/page/5

"I'd just like to see more games that focus on the world, and giving the people in it more of a role, im tired of these constant single player games that you can walk around with millions of people."

- Parsalin

• TzetothTzetoth Member Posts: 67

To be fair you can disable whatever scares you and make it look like Windows98. I'm somewhere in between Win7 and Win98; since I have no use for Aero and widgets, but I like the font smoothing.

As for the User Account Control. It won't differentiate between you and a virus until you give certain permissions. If you do upgrade, there are hundreds of websites fully explaining what those messages are. One ticked box and it all goes away.