Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kinect to your MMO

whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Okay, while browsing the ToR forums (as i normally do) i came across a post here 

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=243757&highlight=kinect

Which leads you to here

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/12/28/0928236/Microsoft-Kinect-With-emWorld-of-Warcraftem?from=rss

It's basically someone using the microsoft kinects to play an MMO

What do you guys think? interesting addition or just a waste of time?

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Comments

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

I think that this specific application of Kinect is novel, but really just a waste of time.  After all, WoW was not written to have motion control.  It's cool that those guys got it to work with Kinect, but they only got it to work by "mapping" movements to traditional keyboard commands.

For example, you can clearly see that "lean forward" means walk forward, "lean back" means walk back, and right hand forward is some kind of spell macro.  So in reality, it's not any kind of "VR" control over the character, you're just making an unnecessarily complicated method of control.  This is similar to how the Power Glove for NES worked, all in all, it was a gimmick.

That said, I think there definitely are applications for Kinect and other motion controllers in the MMO field, just not as most people would think.  I don't think we're going to see 1 to 1 control mapping your body to an MMO character for some time.  But that's not to say there aren't other uses.

Instead of thinking about how Kinect can make our current games better, maybe we should be thinking about what new types of games could be created using Kinect that weren't possible before?  For example, there could be some kind of wizard duel type game where you had to memorize actual movements to cast different spells, and apply these spells strategically in the duel.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• CorthagathCorthagath Member Posts: 291

its interesting but im not sure if it would actually work that easily with mmos... would be funny though... seeing that all hardcore kinect mmonerds would be actually in better fit than athletes because we all want to play mmos 24/7