Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are the controversial topics avoided in the reviews?

DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

While browsing through some reviews I realized how much some topics were missing.

So much that I was starting to wonder whether it was on purpose or not.

Here's some entries:

• Heroic proportions

• Humanoid only playable species

• Limited character customization

• Big/spiky shoulder pads

• Social clothing

• Gear dyes

• Clown/twin syndrome

• Playing without companions PvE and PvP wise

• Lack of (classic) pet class 

• Multiplayer space content

• Large scale PvP

• Crafting real complexity

• Guided experience

• Ability to skip the story

• VO replaybility

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Originally posted by Deewe

While browsing through some reviews I realized how much some topics were missing.

So much that I was starting to wonder whether it was on purpose or not.

Here's some entries:

• Heroic proportions

• Humanoid only playable species

• Limited character customization

• Big/spiky shoulder pads

• Social clothing

• Gear dyes

• Clown/twin syndrome

• Playing without companions PvE and PvP wise

• Lack of (classic) pet class 

• Multiplayer space content

• Large scale PvP

• Crafting real complexity

• Guided experience

• Ability to skip the story

• VO replaybility

Heroic proportions- Not sure what you mean by this, models or what?

Humanoid only playable species -already discussed, you either are okay with it or you hate it.

Limited character customization - class wise you get 8 classes and 16 advance classes, plus a good amount of customization at creation (look on google for ToR character creation, there are sliders for various things)

Big Spikey shoulder pads - They are the bad guys. what did you expect?  seriously though, not really a big issue with me.

Social clothing- theres no info really on this, so it's better to wait rather then just wildly speculate.

Gear Dyes - same as social clothing

Clown/twin syndrome- I guess you mean mismatch armor, not sure they haven't said anything on this but i don't think this will be an issue

Playing without companions PvE and PvP wise- They have said you can do this.  If this is effective is unknown

Lack of (classic) pet class- Is this even a problem seeing as you have a companion?

Large scale PvP- well they have said there are going to be more warzones to come, and theres always the open world PvP on both the PvE (n certain areas) and everywhere on the PvP server

Crafting real complexity- they haven't gone much into this but they have stated that you would have several skills you could have and have your companions doing the work for you.

Guided experience - You mean the theme park aspect i assume.  Well they have always said you could go off and do whatever, PvP gives experience, you can do crafting and other things.  Think of it as an MMO with a very indept personal story.

Ability to skip story - Covered above, you can completely skip the story if you want and do what ever you want.

VO replaybility - i would assume this is the same thing, if you want to skip it you can with the space bar.

Most of the stuff on that list has already been revealed or there isn't really enough info to discuss on.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• maxebornmaxeborn Member Posts: 148

I hear the PvP is dialogue based since its Bioware

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by maxeborn

I hear the PvP is dialogue based since its Bioware

Well if it's made like Monkey Island, I can't wait!

I see the PvP having dialog in it like this when you take a  cannon

"we have taken the central cannon and we have sent someone in to man it, but the sith have sent more reinforcements from their ship"

Or a introduction stating the current situation and what they need you to do

"soldier we need to take these cannons so they will fire down on the enemy. if you fail to take them they will continue to fire on us and we really can't take too much more of this"

I would say it has dialog in it but it wouldn't really guide you so to speak.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

Heroic Proportions - The game is highly stylized because making things look real is not only extremely hard for an MMO, it is also boring.

Humanoid only playable species - This has been explained, character romance is possible. "if you cannot visualize it making out with princess leia...".

Limited character customization - How limited? Where's the info on this? Are you sure? I don't think they've revealed this yet, but I may have missed it.

Big/spiky shoulder pads - Not only are player models highly stylized, but the armor is also highly stylized. I think there's going to be some degree of armor customization, but I base that on completely nothing.

Social clothing - I don't think this has been revealed and I fail to see the controversy involved.

Gear dyes - I missed the memo on this one too. If it hasn't been revealed yet, there's still time, the game isn't even close to being done.

Clone/twin syndrome - Once again I don't think any information about character customization has been released so I couldn't tell you, I may have missed the memo. Seeing as customization in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age was so complex, I doubt Bioware will skimp out on this at all.

Playing without companions - Possible, why not? It has been said "You fight a group of 4 enemies. You kill 3 while your companion kills 1." The original KOTORs and Dragon Age are perfectly playable without companions, this is Bioware we're talking about, they're pretty consistent with design features.

Lack of pet class - We have companions now, no pets needed. Nothing of value was lost.

Multiplayer space content - I'm surprised that the game has any space combat at all, much less a rail shooter minigame. I'm not sure how to make a multiplayer rail shooter work other than have multiple players in one ship, one piloting while others control turrets. Although I'm slightly disappointed that there isn't any real space combat, I didn't expect any at all knowing the type of game it will be.

Large scale PVP - This has actually been covered. There's a video in the video section.

Crafting real complexity - There is a mind-boggling amount of crafting classes already announced, but no more information has been made available.

Guided experience - Story-driven MMO. Very similar to other Bioware games, also similar to Guild Wars 1.

Ability to skip the story - Why would you want to? Anyways no, every quest is part of the story. Don't worry, it won't be as boring as the walls of text you usually skip over in WoW.

VO re-playability - If you talk to the quest giver a second time, he will probably give you an annoyed going-over of what you need to be doing. Other than that if you miss a cutscene because you walked off to get a bagel, what are you doing walking off in the middle of a cutscene anyways?

Yeah, most of the stuff about customization hasn't been talked about yet. The game is still in early development and there's plenty of time to release more information. Some of the other things aren't real controversies (if you even understand the meaning of the word) or were already revealed.

In short,

Patience, young padawan.

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by Xero_Chance

Heroic Proportions - The game is highly stylized because making things look real is not only extremely hard for an MMO, it is also boring.

Humanoid only playable species - This has been explained, character romance is possible. "if you cannot visualize it making out with princess leia...".

Limited character customization - How limited? Where's the info on this? Are you sure? I don't think they've revealed this yet, but I may have missed it.

Big/spiky shoulder pads - Not only are player models highly stylized, but the armor is also highly stylized. I think there's going to be some degree of armor customization, but I base that on completely nothing.

Social clothing - I don't think this has been revealed and I fail to see the controversy involved.

Gear dyes - I missed the memo on this one too. If it hasn't been revealed yet, there's still time, the game isn't even close to being done.

Clone/twin syndrome - Once again I don't think any information about character customization has been released so I couldn't tell you, I may have missed the memo. Seeing as customization in Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age was so complex, I doubt Bioware will skimp out on this at all.

Playing without companions - Possible, why not? It has been said "You fight a group of 4 enemies. You kill 3 while your companion kills 1." The original KOTORs and Dragon Age are perfectly playable without companions, this is Bioware we're talking about, they're pretty consistent with design features.

Lack of pet class - We have companions now, no pets needed. Nothing of value was lost.

Multiplayer space content - I'm surprised that the game has any space combat at all, much less a rail shooter minigame. I'm not sure how to make a multiplayer rail shooter work other than have multiple players in one ship, one piloting while others control turrets. Although I'm slightly disappointed that there isn't any real space combat, I didn't expect any at all knowing the type of game it will be.

Large scale PVP - This has actually been covered. There's a video in the video section.

Crafting real complexity - There is a mind-boggling amount of crafting classes already announced, but no more information has been made available.

Guided experience - Story-driven MMO. Very similar to other Bioware games, also similar to Guild Wars 1.

Ability to skip the story - Why would you want to? Anyways no, every quest is part of the story. Don't worry, it won't be as boring as the walls of text you usually skip over in WoW.

VO re-playability - If you talk to the quest giver a second time, he will probably give you an annoyed going-over of what you need to be doing. Other than that if you miss a cutscene because you walked off to get a bagel, what are you doing walking off in the middle of a cutscene anyways?

Yeah, most of the stuff about customization hasn't been talked about yet. The game is still in early development and there's plenty of time to release more information. Some of the other things aren't real controversies (if you even understand the meaning of the word) or were already revealed.

In short,

Patience, young padawan.

I didn't read the entire wall of text, but on skipping story, you are DEAD WRONG.  You can skip the story if you want.  You can lvl 100% in pvp if you want.  You can grab random quests, grind mobs, etc.  You do NOt have to participate in the story.

• Xero_ChanceXero_Chance Member Posts: 519

Oh, well that's even better. Leveling in PVP is pretty fun, I did that when I used to play WAR.

But as for grinding mobs, why would you want to? Play some F2P korean grinder if you want to grind mobs, there's plenty of them out there and they excel at grindyness. If that's what floats your boat, there's better games for you.

Trust me on this one, you won't WANT to skip the story.

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

I have news for you Deewe, they have talked about MOST of the topics you mentioned.  They have not gone into great detail on many of them since the game is still several months away and that can be understood very easily since things can change in the intervening months when Beta Testing really gives them some good feedback.

I have to ask though, have you actually been following this game or did you read an article or two and decide you didn't like it?  I ask because you really come off uninformed with your little list there.  I would suggest you might want to read up a little so your next post doesn't make you look like nothing more than a troll trying to sound reasonable.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• lordsn0wlordsn0w Member Posts: 99

It's like you wrote the post I was going to = ) ( edit: gman3 was to be qouted)

And this is the second time I have read a thread from you Deewa about the damn spike armor. Some one even provided images of Eu characters who infact have spiked armor, let it go and move on.

About the armor dyes

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=243048&page=5

I think in designing the light and dark side they have stated that there would be color schemes, my best guess would be that a you can't color your armor black like a dark jedi if it's a jedi robe that is known for the light side.