Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will affect how you answers in quests?.

whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Okay theres been a discussion that Elikal brought up about the choices in the quests.  Which brought me to this thought.

In most MMOs your just given a quest and told to do it. However in ToR they pit you against certain moral choices, the main one in Elikal's post is regarding the love couple.  However this poll is going more broad then that.

So without further ado, how would you go about answering the moral questions they put on you?

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Comments

• kaliniskalinis Member Posts: 1,428

This game is gonna give u a chance within  there story to roleplay and i  intend to take full advantage of that fact. To be able to influence how the world reacts to me will be so cool. I am looking forward to the story elements and the ability to make choices that influence how the npcs in the world will react to me. It should be alot of fun.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

It will be based on my class and character. Any moral choice I make will be based on the game, not my RL views. Afterall, this will be a game we get to play. If the lines between RL and MMO gaming are blurred for you. You may need to take a break or seek help from a profesional.

IMO ofc. image

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

When given a chance I always make up a rather detailed background for my toons and play them based on the back story I created.  So for the most part I try to make decisions based on what I feel my toon would do.  For me that helps to get me really immersed in the story and to keep it interesting.  That at least is for the most part.

I am sure that after playing for a while I will make decisions based off of nothing more than "Let's see what happens if . . . ", but that won't come until much later on.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933

I never project actions and decisions made by my characters in a MMO or RPG to real life situations like Elikal did. It's silly, it's  childish and spoils the immersion. All the moral questions presented to me will be answered based on what my character would do. 

As stated in a post a while ago i hope Bioware will give me the option to walk the thin grey line between light and dark. Since my main class will NOT be a force using one this should be easy to achieve if given the means. 

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Probably my first class I will just be myself and answer questions based on my own morality.  That probably means light side as I'm normally a good natured, friendly helper type.  I do want to try evil or bad characters though, and that will require some roleplaying because I find it's usually difficult for me to make the evil choices even though it's just a game.  Maybe if I'm roleplaying it will be easier though.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

MY answers will be based on the day of the week and how I feel. Decisions don't get you kicked from the game so I am not going to worry about anything until I am in game. Pretty Simple.

• Karnage69Karnage69 Member UncommonPosts: 323

My choices will be made entirely based on the actions I feel my characters would take. I plan on playing many different characters with many different backgrounds so I might enjoy a different feel for the game with each character, since I am an alt-o-holic.

• Matron_FaunaMatron_Fauna Member Posts: 3

From day one of my playing video games I have kept to a strict hard rule of "I am not my character"...truth be told I hate some of the characters I've played because of how they act or go about things. To me any character I play in an RP setting is not simply a character, I think of them as a real person, and it is this thought process that I feel ups my quality of roleplay to be more genuine and enriching for those RPing with me.

• sectonsecton Member Posts: 80

I picked other because with me it's a mixture. Firstly I know I want to become aligned dark, but in general, I will base my answers as I go. Some I will use my morals, some I will use what I think is cool, and others for my alignment. I mean, even when I was going lightside in KOTOR 2, when a character asked me for advice, and the option appeared that let me mindtrick and tell him that it's a good idea to jump off a cliff, I took it!!!

mmm pizza

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

One of the things I'm really looking forward to is some serious role-playing in this game.  I''m hoping there will be a rp server, but in the least I will be part of an RP guild.  As release gets closer, I'll flesh out my character, start thinking about who he/she is.  I think it will be a lot of fun and really increase the playability and re-playability of the game. 

Originally posted by Shodanas

I never project actions and decisions made by my characters in a MMO or RPG to real life situations like Elikal did. It's silly, it's  childish and spoils the immersion. All the moral questions presented to me will be answered based on what my character would do. 

As stated in a post a while ago i hope Bioware will give me the option to walk the thin grey line between light and dark. Since my main class will NOT be a force using one this should be easy to achieve if given the means. 

Making your avatar do what you would do yourself is childish? How so?

mmm pizza

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

assuming i even buy the game, i think i'd go with the random bit, although i like the idea of contradictory behaviour, i guess it depends on how limited the choices are. Hopefully its like Dragon age:origins, if you hit the escape button it just skips the cutscenes etc.. random answers work as well as any other i've noticed.image

• mmogawdmmogawd Member Posts: 732

Originally posted by secton

Originally posted by Shodanas

Making your avatar do what you would do yourself is childish? How so?

What is really silly and childish would be criticizing a person for deciding to play their character as if it were them.  If that's how someone wants to play, what's wrong with that? 

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

Just like dragon age the answers you give will only momentarily change what you're doing, it won't actually change the storyline of the game.  The same things still happen in the grand scheme.

IE.  Space ship needs to get to a dock.  There are 2 answers to a question.  Both answers lead to you getting this ship to the dock.  The only difference in the manner.  It doesn't change ANYTHING about the entire rest of the game.

This is biowares choose your own path in a nutshell.  Go back and play dragon age and choose all the answers you didn't pick the first time.  Nothing changed....not a darned thing.

The illusion is a good one though, as so many people fell for it.

What will effect how I asnwer quests. Nothing.  I'll pick the one that is the most amusing, confident that my actions will not effect my gameplay in the slightest, or my path in said game.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

DA did lead to two different paths at least, in mine i managed to survive the dragon kill and i think i manage to change who was king/queen (been too long since i've played it).

Also in Kotor, you can change if the republic won or if the empire won based on your actions.  So i don't know if i would say it didn't change anything.  I will grant you though it does have a large effect on what does happen in the course of the game. Still i guess thats better then not having any choice to change anything at all.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Originally posted by gauge2k3

Just like dragon age the answers you give will only momentarily change what you're doing, it won't actually change the storyline of the game.  The same things still happen in the grand scheme.

IE.  Space ship needs to get to a dock.  There are 2 answers to a question.  Both answers lead to you getting this ship to the dock.  The only difference in the manner.  It doesn't change ANYTHING about the entire rest of the game.

This is biowares choose your own path in a nutshell.  Go back and play dragon age and choose all the answers you didn't pick the first time.  Nothing changed....not a darned thing.

The illusion is a good one though, as so many people fell for it.

What will effect how I asnwer quests. Nothing.  I'll pick the one that is the most amusing, confident that my actions will not effect my gameplay in the slightest, or my path in said game.

It's not really an illusion if you aren't thinking about the end result. I mean, how many people live their lives thinking some choice they will make IRL will somehow bring a different result other than death. Im not talking about religion ect, but the result of death. No matter what you do that will be certain result at least in our times.

even if everything I do doesn't change the grander scheme of the game, the contents will have felt different, and in all, the tale told for me will still feel unique. For me, when I read a book, or when I play a game, I read it all for the adventure and content inside, not  exclusively for the purpose of concluding the result after I close the book.

That's no illusion or trick I fall for. That's the meat of the experience. Nothing felt better in dragon age than screwing over allister, and abandoning the witty twat early on. Pretty sure that at least impacted the atmosphere of the game quite heavily.

Another thing to take into account is that since this is a MMORPG we don't know if choices will entirely impact you the same as in biowares single player games. Choose oddly and you may completely screw over your reputation with a faction that may have given you perks that you wanted. Who knows how much of a headstart another player may have over you in PVP oriented experiences if you gimp your character by telling the PVP armor vender to go suck a ****

mmm pizza

• ImixZinzImixZinz Member CommonPosts: 553

Maybe my first playthrough i'll give into the "what would my character do in this situation". But as time goes on im sure i'll just be picking the option that will give me the desired allignment.

Pretty sure we'll also be seeing "LF1M Darkside for suchandsuch" in chat, getting people to take darkside or lightside hits while everyone else takes their desired allignment just to do the easiest version of a mission.

• ZERMINUSZERMINUS Member Posts: 241

Let's be realistic. There are likely to be three, but not many more. answer choices; good, bad and neutral. Whatever you answer will take you on the same ultimate quest line and a similar quest end. Personally, I will be answering them according to the alignment I have chosen for my character with some variations when I know the reward provided by a certain answer is greater than the one I would otherwise have chosen.

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Originally posted by kalinis

This game is gonna give u a chance within  there story to roleplay and i  intend to take full advantage of that fact. To be able to influence how the world reacts to me will be so cool. I am looking forward to the story elements and the ability to make choices that influence how the npcs in the world will react to me. It should be alot of fun.

My feelings :)

The fact this may really include some RP has made my interest levels go up a lot!