Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I Returned and am Really Having Fun

ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I returned reciently and was shocked to find myself in a truely deep, epic world.It was far beyond what I had been condictioned to think was deep and meaningful.What's grabbed  me right now? The crafting. I'm loving it.With out a doubt...for me... this is te best crafting in a mmog I have ever experienced.I have several characters .My blacksmith's getting the lions share of my crafting time as he moves tward gaining the ability to build ships.One of my other characters harvests and crafts stone.Stone for the home he will build one day.

So...if you're casting about and finding today mmog shallow, and like every other .Consider or reconsider Vanguard...you may find it has the substance and epic feel you  have been looking for.

Yes...there is a 14 day free trial.

Comments

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

How's the population looking?  Easier to find groups?

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by SuperXero89

How's the population looking?  Easier to find groups?

Nope, still the same. Hardly anyone around and you end up soloing most of the times.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• shassellshassell Member UncommonPosts: 105

Sigh!

Used to really like Vanguard. Even with its troubled beginnings, a lot of work went in to putting it right, it was still an epic. Still some of the best character classes and what a fantastic world to explore. Problem for me was shelling out for the monthly subscription when the game was left virtually mothballed with one dev and his dog to mind the fort. Dont mind paying a subscription... when subsription MMORPG's came out it was with the understanding that there would be GM events, in game development ect, now they are taking the piss. Just paying monthly for an old game thats mothballed is a joke... pretty much like the rest of Sony's stale output.

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Originally posted by shassell

Sigh!

Used to really like Vanguard. Even with its troubled beginnings, a lot of work went in to putting it right, it was still an epic. Still some of the best character classes and what a fantastic world to explore. Problem for me was shelling out for the monthly subscription when the game was left virtually mothballed with one dev and his dog to mind the fort. Dont mind paying a subscription... when subsription MMORPG's came out it was with the understanding that there would be GM events, in game development ect, now they are taking the piss. Just paying monthly for an old game thats mothballed is a joke... pretty much like the rest of Sony's stale output.

Vanguard is the only MMO for sony down the pooper at the moment. EQ2, EQ still going strong. DCUO will do very well on release, PTBS just went F2P and will be a succes due to F2P model. planetside had a good run and sequel is in the works. SWG is doing 1000 times better compared to Vanguard.

This is the only MMO, SOE needs to put out of its misery. When was the last time it got any wothwhile update or any kind of content? Atleast there are still players in other games.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• vinotintovinotinto Member Posts: 2

I return aswell but the server halgar is empty max 20 peeps online so thats to bad. I have ask a transfer to Telon and wait for that but its sad to see its fading away.

Its the best MMO i ever have played but it seems that some speculation about SOE to let it die maybe is correct.

I have try many games but always have VG in mind so i decided to return just to see vanguard one more time before it maybe plug out.

Yesterday i have found a group and it was fun again, play with my ranger smooth and relax :-)

Let the good times roll

greetz

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

Station pass.  It's another title to make Station pass look better value for money.

The size of the team left on VG sadly says it all.  That and the stellar launch sealed it's fate long ago.  People have long memories and are slow to forgive, as such there will never be a large population, and those coming back see the game empty and it critically impacts their enjoyment causing them to leave.

It's not a bad game, if you can find the fun in it awesome, but sadly for many the popualtion will keep the subscribers away.

• BaiameBaiame Member UncommonPosts: 143

A small group of us started playing a few months ago.  Just on Tuesday nights as a group (we're starting again in a few weeks as we decided on a 3 week break for the holidays).  I think it's safe to say that our group has had a great time playing VG.   Certain areas in VG still have a decent population.  The game seems to be on the path to nowhere(unless they go F2P).  Sadly, F2P would require devs and an investment from SOE.  VG is not and never was SOE's "baby"...ie EQ2.  Sad Sad Sad. 

I'd like to say I'll stay away from future SOE games(as I was also burned in SWG)...but I do enjoy the SOE style of game such as Vanguard or EQ2 so I'll be looking at EQ Next.  Come join us if you need a group!  Epimetheus is my Shamans name.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I was playing last night.I have about 5 characters  I play.Most of them craft and xp. I asked on chat where to find some ore for one of my crafters. I got a few answers.(no crafters don't seem to want to keep secrets for themselvs in my experience). One person invited to show me wher to go.Well..we spent the next hour and a half getting more ore than I could have imagined as they showed..and killed creatures to pave the way to my safe mining. I kept saying thank you...thank you...and they just kept helping.Game has a great community.(and no this was not a bored maxed out player looking for something to do). So yes..as I said in my Op.....I'm having fun.

• kalistarkalistar Member UncommonPosts: 46

What would you suppose is the nightly weekday population. I mean encompassing all levels past the trial on Teleon Server.

Frankly I don't know.There are 3 distinct lands and doing  /who shows only the population of the land your character is in.I will say there is enough of a population to support even lowbie crafting...there are guilds actively recruiting......I rarely ask a question that doesn't get multiple responses in chat.I would say the community seems more mature...and certainly welcoming and helpful.The noobie land ..if you choose to go there instead of straight into the game is generally pretty busy.Thats the best I can answer your question.

I think what is attracting people is the depth and creativity of the game. Others deride  it as "old school". I say its a step or two above  the mediocrity that passes for the norm in so much of todays gaming.  

• kalistarkalistar Member UncommonPosts: 46

I loved that game is why I asked. I played on the test server in the days when there was a proper one under himmel and company. I met some really good folk on the test server same with eq2 test server. The game will always have fond memories for me and thanks to your reccomendation I downloaded the trial to check it out. We really tried hard to work out the bugs.

• xochipillixochipilli Member Posts: 31

halgar server s empty. the game now is in telon which s very alive. if u do /who count all you can get the number of players online.... in raid times we have 400 players, in peak times out of the raids we have usualy 200 - 300 players.. and in sleeping times ( the time of the day which less players ) we go down till around 90 players ....

it may sound few players for someoene playing WOW or EQ 2 ... but those numbers are doin pretty giood to help keep the maturity of the players...

also keep in mind that this game s very underapreciated NOT because it was full of bug or there s no people enough.. but because it s complex mecanism filter many players.....  People who enjoy do the rush lvl race till the last lvl will usualy feel very frustrated in this game ..... and this s how most role...

if u have the guts to enjoy vanguard ... WELCOME :)

The latest chapter in my Vanguard odessy is being writen.But first  a little background on myself.I was in VG beta...and into launch 6 months before I left...bitterly disappointed.I have returned a few times..only to depart.My most recient return was about a month ago.I have been playing my previously created characters and looking for something to click.And then it did.I asked in the VG forums for class ideas that would conform to the idea of a "thinking persons class".One of the suggestions was for a BLOOD MAGE.They are one of the premier healing classes in VG.AND A WHOLE LOT MORE.Suffice it to say that the class uses blood and gathered body parts to fashon powerful armor and other effects.The result is a class far more than a healer, that requires a good bit of casting strategy and pre fight preperation.And so I keep writing to you.If you are looking for more than the warmed up rehash of the previous mmog you've played.Something epic...expansive...deep...and a fantastic community.Well.....it's waiting for you.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I returned reciently and was shocked to find myself in a truely deep, epic world.It was far beyond what I had been condictioned to think was deep and meaningful.What's grabbed  me right now? The crafting. I'm loving it.With out a doubt...for me... this is te best crafting in a mmog I have ever experienced.I have several characters .My blacksmith's getting the lions share of my crafting time as he moves tward gaining the ability to build ships.One of my other characters harvests and crafts stone.Stone for the home he will build one day.

So...if you're casting about and finding today mmog shallow, and like every other .Consider or reconsider Vanguard...you may find it has the substance and epic feel you  have been looking for.

Yes...there is a 14 day free trial.

I quit Vanguard a few months ago, and I REALLY miss it.  It's the best PvE MMO available, but with so little support and development it is fading away.  Everybody that I know of misses the game, the world, the community.  Now those of us that don't play just hope for a game to appear that is like Vanguard.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

I picked VG up from Steam last week and am enjoying myself ever since and VG has moved to the top-3 of my most popular MMO's I played so far ;)

VG offers to me fuild quest lines that do make sense! I also enjoy the differrent kind of quests you get. But most importantly, you don't level too fast!

I made my char and started in the home town. I found it a bit dead and talked in general chat and I was adviced to start on the Isle of Dawn. Still remember me saying to re-roll and start there and "I'd see them back in a few hours". How wrong I was - been over 24 hours (play time) now and I'm still on Isle of Dawn and be there for some longer I think. I know I slack leveling in most games, but even doing my best, only a few quests give actual leveling XP, and monsters don't give so much XP either.

I'm also enjoying the whole diplomatic thing in VG. It's like playing card-mini-games to negociate (taking "playing your cards carefully' quite litterally) to get things done from them, or (if possible) get items or buffs...

And then the crafting system... Probably the best in any MMO so far. There's deep crafting, and you can influence the quality of the crafted item you get. Then the crafting itself - one to get used to, but it's done so well, including negative feedback that you can counter (no must here, but it's best to counter though).

Yes, I'm in love with VG. Been playing it quite a lot last week, and I'm wondering why it has failed as it did to the bigger audience. I think VG should have a large bigger playerbase than it has now - at least, VG is a lot better than most MMOs out there ;)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Tbh, Vg just isnt worth playing as long as SOE own it.

Arche Age will finally put it to rest by the looks of it anyhow.

• Roland_AsephRoland_Aseph Member UncommonPosts: 137

Originally posted by Reizla

I picked VG up from Steam last week and am enjoying myself ever since and VG has moved to the top-3 of my most popular MMO's I played so far ;)

VG offers to me fuild quest lines that do make sense! I also enjoy the differrent kind of quests you get. But most importantly, you don't level too fast!

I made my char and started in the home town. I found it a bit dead and talked in general chat and I was adviced to start on the Isle of Dawn. Still remember me saying to re-roll and start there and "I'd see them back in a few hours". How wrong I was - been over 24 hours (play time) now and I'm still on Isle of Dawn and be there for some longer I think. I know I slack leveling in most games, but even doing my best, only a few quests give actual leveling XP, and monsters don't give so much XP either.

I'm also enjoying the whole diplomatic thing in VG. It's like playing card-mini-games to negociate (taking "playing your cards carefully' quite litterally) to get things done from them, or (if possible) get items or buffs...

And then the crafting system... Probably the best in any MMO so far. There's deep crafting, and you can influence the quality of the crafted item you get. Then the crafting itself - one to get used to, but it's done so well, including negative feedback that you can counter (no must here, but it's best to counter though).

Yes, I'm in love with VG. Been playing it quite a lot last week, and I'm wondering why it has failed as it did to the bigger audience. I think VG should have a large bigger playerbase than it has now - at least, VG is a lot better than most MMOs out there ;)

Agree 100% to this.

After the "meh" taste left in my mouth after Cataclysm I ended my WoW sub and decided to move in a different direction...less mainstream and looked for something with depth and soul. 

I picked both Vanguard & Fallen Earth to try...did my free trial of both and actually wound up subbing both lol

Having a great time in Vanguard, rolled a Ranger and just hit lvl 14 :)

There will always be na-sayers who put down and attack with flimsy and unjustified comments. But the truth is, the game is in far better shape than one would think by listening to the haters. Is it perfect? No probably not...though I haven't run into ANY issue or bug in my 14 lvls thus far to complain about.

Is the game for everyone? Again, probably not. it's not all glitter & gold like our Mc'MMO Behemoth out there...it's far more challenging and serious and not the mamsy pamsy Rainbow Bright color fest that so many seem endlessly enchanted with. 

So anyway...I fully lend my support to the argument of "try it out" and see what you think. For both Vanguard & Fallen Earth for that matter.

Both games have a lot to offer someone who's looking for something different and more interesting and tasy than a Happy meal ;) 

IMO 

(play the Trial and play on the Vanguard Telon Server and you'll be fine)

Regards & Good Hunting!

"It'll be dark soon."
    "Aye...that it will."