Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is this game SWG pre NGE skill based or level based?

hbktimf24hbktimf24 Member UncommonPosts: 131

Everyone says this game is like pre NGE SWG, is it all skill tree's like SWG used to be? Im dieing to find a MMO like that.

Comments

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

I'd call it a hybrid of both. Its not skill trees... exactly. But you do determine what skills you wish to excell in like you did in Galaxies.

You just earn AP as you level, to assign to skills.

When I was playing it, aside from not having houses to place wherever you want to destroy the landscape... Yeah, it felt a LOT like SWG.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

You have three tiers of skills: Stats, skills, and crafting. Every level is made up of multiple tiers, where you gain AP each tier. So you can be Level 1, Rank 4, and you'd have a set amount of AP to spend.

Stats are raised with 5AP each, and they dictate the maximum levels of your skills and crafting. The stats include strength, perception, intelligence, etc. For example, your maximum level is rifle is determined by perception and (I want to say strength).

Your skills are raised by using AP on them, and only cost 1AP per level. These are where you'll find more exact skills, like rifle, melee weapons, armor, healing, etc. The max for each skill is determined by the associated stats (above).

Resource skills dictate what you can and cannot craft and salvage, and includes everything from cooking to salvaging. These are leveled by actually performing the skill, but your max level is determined by your stats in perception and intelligence.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

never played NGE, but yes Fallen Earth is all Skill Trees. you start with a blank character and you build it how you want. my advice for a first character is rifles or melee, i tried DW pistols and it seemed like 1/2 the time or better i was just gathering and crafting just to try and keep my guns loaded. DW pistols just seemed to eat ammo...

there is a free trial, the game is fun, even more so if you're into crafting.

• abyss610abyss610 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,131

Originally posted by Omali

You have three tiers of skills: Stats, skills, and crafting. Every level is made up of multiple tiers, where you gain AP each tier. So you can be Level 1, Rank 4, and you'd have a set amount of AP to spend.

Stats are raised with 5AP each, and they dictate the maximum levels of your skills and crafting. The stats include strength, perception, intelligence, etc. For example, your maximum level is rifle is determined by perception and (I want to say strength).

Your skills are raised by using AP on them, and only cost 1AP per level. These are where you'll find more exact skills, like rifle, melee weapons, armor, healing, etc. The max for each skill is determined by the associated stats (above).

Resource skills dictate what you can and cannot craft and salvage, and includes everything from cooking to salvaging. These are leveled by actually performing the skill, but your max level is determined by your stats in perception and intelligence.

dex is the other and primary stat for rifle perception was the secondary.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

Originally posted by abyss610

Originally posted by Omali

dex is the other and primary stat for rifle perception was the secondary.

Ah, thank you. I haven't played Fallen Earth in a long time, so I'm a bit rusty on the specifics.

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

Problem with FE is adding to the skills doesn't increases effectiveness at all for anything besides dodge and armor use. High skills let you use new guns or spells, but they don't make any of the current guns or spells you have get any stronger. Which is an issue I had since beta, always thought it was stupid for skill not to effect per shot dmg, or not to improve spells at all. So bascally the game is more level based, they recently implement a AP Spent cap of 25 per level, which means you don't need to do all the bonus AP quests to cap out anymore, they also added random bonus AP u may earn when doing random things like scavenging, killing critters etc. You get about.. 1000 AP from lv 1-50, and there are enough bonus AP quests to hit about 1330 AP total. Armor used to rely on armor use skill, but now armor is level based, and armor use skill allows you to gain more mitigation (up to a 50% absorb cap) making it still a useful skill but not as important as it used to be. I am wondering if they ever impolemented a way to see what your absorb % is vs a even level target.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

Originally posted by abyss610
    never played NGE, but yes Fallen Earth is all Skill Trees. you start with a blank character and you build it how you want. my advice for a first character is rifles or melee, i tried DW pistols and it seemed like 1/2 the time or better i was just gathering and crafting just to try and keep my guns loaded. DW pistols just seemed to eat ammo...
    there is a free trial, the game is fun, even more so if you're into crafting.

Yeah DW pistols eat ammo, but their dps is top notch. It gets better when you hit the 20's or 30's and get med and heavy ammo using pistols that hit as hard or harder than a medium ammo using rifle. I'd reccomend rifle for a first char and to also be a crafter. the AH is brutal for a new player. You would need to max, Dex, perception and int, and of course u wanna max endurance since it adds to max hp. For faction I reccomend Lightbearer. reason being is, it'll grant access to both Vista and enforcer rifle faction skill sets, and from what I heard the skills no longer require faction to use, you just need to buy em now, which makes this even a better reason to do it.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.