Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Favorite "Old School" RPG and Why

EbonHawkEbonHawk Member Posts: 545

Ok I saw a post about an old rpg game (Betrayal at Krondor) and it got me thinking about what was your favorite rpg and why?

Mine have to be in no particular order...

Wizardy I

After playing table top RPG's this was my first introduction to computer generated rpg's

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wizardry

Bard's Tale

I think this was the first 3D game and Interplay's first as well.  Just an awesome game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bard%27s_Tale_%281985%29

Wasteland

One of the first computer apocalyptic rpg's also made by Interplay.  Loved the premise and got me hooked on the genre.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_%28video_game%29

And last but certainly not least was Planescape: Torment.

I wish they would of made sequels to this game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planescape:_Torment

Anyway let us know what you liked...

Comments

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Legends of Kesmai

Edit : Forgot to mention why.. The pace of the game was great. You could contribute early on in battles againts mighty foes and the dungeon and lair boss design was fantastic AND some of the most incredible sound effects even compared to today IMO. Its still out there if anyone wants to give it a look.

Magestorm

Aliens Online

Both Magestorm and Aliens Online were my first Online FPS experiences.

With MS you would gain EXP damaging and killing other plays which you level you up. You would unlock different spell paths and abilities depending on what you researched. The game also had some pretty nifty particle effects for its time.

With AO.. Simply amazing. Easily the best Aliens game ever created. As a Marine you could rank up which made you harder to kill ( Private - Private First Class..ECT ) but if you had to many team kills you couldnt rank past a certain point. As an Alien you could attack with claws and tail ( you could even be a face hugger ) and each time you died you would take over another Alien body until the you won or the Marines took out all the Aliens.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

I am pretty sure that Bard's Tale wasn't really any more 3D than Wizardry (also a favorite of mine).  That and Utlima III got me hooked on computer games.  My brother, my nextdoor neighbor and I used to sit around the screen playing Wizardy, we each controlled two characters and told whoever was typing what to do.

• vzarneotvzarneot Member Posts: 39

Darkness Falls: The Crusade

Magestorm

Legends of Kesmai :)

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

NWN with Linu Tommy and the other hench.  Great fun!

tommy

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • VryheidVryheid Member UncommonPosts: 469

Realmz was one of my favorite Mac RPGs of all times... it featured an open world environment, tons of quests and exploration, 3D dungeon mazes and some truly staggering levels of customization. This game makes modern RPGs look downright simplistic by comparison. Not only that, the game featured at least a dozen independent campaigns, and characters could be transferred between each one without losing levels or equipment. Oh, it also featured a complete level custom level creator which saw a lot of popularity back in the mid 90's.

Really deserves a remake with a modern 3D engine...

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239

Does Neverwinter Nights 1 count as old school? I spent....6 years playing in online worlds for that game. The toolset and imaginations of the builders who used it were simply amazing.

It really depends on your definition of 'old school'. Does it have strictly be in the style of games like a Bard's Tale or Pool of Radiance? Maybe the old Might and Magic games, or Elder Scrolls? What about console games, such as the first 6 Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, Dragon Warrior I through III? What about hybrids such as System Shock, or multi-genre hybrids such as Thief, that don't look anything like your normal RPG, yet have more emphasis on the 'role' part than any other?

• gauge2k3gauge2k3 Member Posts: 442

ultima underworld for my 386 was pretty sweet, also any number of MUD's I've played back then.

• wolftamerwolftamer Member Posts: 29

I have a few i enjoyed, like Dragon Realms, the old school MUD that was on msn zone, Chrono Trigger, and Final Fantasy 7 of course :)

Dragon Realms was a nice MUD to play with a lot of people online, but boring to play alone and included plenty of things to do.  Chrono Trigger was just awesome all around in my opinion, and wished Chrono Trigger Ressurection wasn't shut down.  And Final Fantasy 7 just being one of my favorite final fantasys in the series.

• takayitakayi Member Posts: 158

Neverwinter Nights. And oh yes, I'll add myself as a fan of Tomi Undergallows.

I still play the game online, there are so great persistent worlds around!

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

A Bards tale, Ultima IV, Pools of Radiance and Eye of the Beholer II. Thoes where my faves.

Edit* And why? well why not?:)

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

I didn't get into Computer gaming until the mid-late 90s.  So my first RPG that I really liked was on the Sega Master System, and it was "Phantasy Star."  Some of those dungeons I remember were an absolute b*tch.  Even with using grid paper and making my own maps.

When I finally did try Computer gaming, the first RPG I saw and tried was my friend's copy of Bethesda's "Daggerfall."  Loved the *huge* game world open for exploration and the character build system.  Pick a point on this immense map of the game world and make your way there, and coming across all sorts of things on the way there.  Especially if you stray off the beaten path.  This became a staple for later Bethesda games, but Daggerfall's world still totally eclipses later Oblivion and Fallout games in the sheer size of game worlds.  I never beat Daggerfall because I was content on making my way around the game world and finding adventure.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Not sure if I'm going back far ENOUGH to count  these as "old school" and one is an MMORPG, but they're my OLDER faves, regardless:

Neverwinter Nights -  This game helped me teach my young son to cook so he wouldn't starve waiting for ME to do it....lol

Planescape Torment

Divine Divinity - I know, I know....so sue me :P

Diablo 1 and 2 Lord of Destruction Online

Ultima Online - the game that cemented my obsession into my consciousness

Fallout 1 and 2

System Shock and System Shock 2 - omfg this game scared me to death and I loved that

The Elder Scrolls Morrowind

Couldn't pick ONE and the "WHYS" are too numerous and diverse. Primarily "why" is that these games were immersive and the worlds were fun to "live" in.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Fallout 2, always the one.

From the more modern Witcher 1, just cause it does the story and the moral right, not the normal saint-***hole like ME and kotors...

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Planescape Torment

Between the story and the gameplay....for me....it was sheer perfection.

I think I already answered this ages ago, but pressed to give just ONE answer....I guess this is my top answer of the however many I gave before.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• slntnsntyslntnsnty Member UncommonPosts: 67

The first game I ever bought for my C64

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

Well, it was painfully brutal and one misstep meant "Load From last Save Point" (which took forever back then). You had to use graph paper to map your own dungeons. But man it was so awesome. 

• theinvadertheinvader Member UncommonPosts: 240

Avernum 3.

Because I loved the setting and story, and the extensive lore you could explore. And the freedom the game gave you - I spent countless hours exploring and doing side-quests and talking to random NPCs. I love the level of customisation of your party too - the game doesn't give your characters any predefined personality or history so you can roleplay it how you want, and the stat customisation was great too. All in all a great game. And the best thing? They're gonna remake the whole trilogy!

Always read the small print.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by slntnsnty

The first game I ever bought for my C64

Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord

Well, it was painfully brutal and one misstep meant "Load From last Save Point" (which took forever back then). You had to use graph paper to map your own dungeons. But man it was so awesome. 

Same here. The game completely rocked. Had it for my Apple ][+ and have been playing it ever since. Fun hack-n-slash turn-based fantasy gaming. Ressurection from death wasn't guaranteed and if it failed, you were ashes. You had one more chance to ress from ashes and if that failed the character was lost forever.

Some fun Wizardry Trivia

- Wizardry was one of the first games to use WASD instead of IJKM or arrows.

- Wizardry was based on a multiplayer game played on PLATO systems in the 70's

- one of the original creators of the Wizardry series is an EVE Online player and member of the game's Council of Stellar Management

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• philip87philip87 Member Posts: 4

My favorite old school RPG is from snes very own mario RPG, loved that game for it complex game at that time and its mario. who does not love mario?

• deadhopedeadhope Member Posts: 52

Chrono Trigger because Chrono Trigger.

P.S : The music is aweseoommeee

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Bards tale2: Played that one for ages. Now that I think back to it I am not really sure why but I remember having a great time. It was on Amiga.

Death knights of Krynn: SSI best game. Great RPG game. Champions of... was not really as good but still fine, the last game sucked. But this was one of the first great RPGs. Also on Amiga.

Daggerfall (Elder scrolls part 2) : Still Betesdas best game and probably the largest RPG game I ever played, make Wow and even EQ looks like dwarfs in comparision. Loads of random dungeons that not always made sense but great game nevertheless.

Neverwinter nights (Biowares): The closest to a P&P RPG game so far. Sadly is no MMO I played even close to this, particularly on a good dedicated server. I wish the Dragonage games were half this good, or for that matter DDO.

• Crixus30Crixus30 Member Posts: 11

Either Nes Zelda.

Sword of Vermillion.

A Link to the Past. ----All time favorite game.

Chrono Trigger.

My reasons are my own.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Never played pen & paper.  First RPG I got into was Baldur's Gate 1.  I ended up buying every expansion.  By far, (in my opinion) the best RPG story in any game that I've played.  Those games took a LONG time to complete and you would actually find yourself  becoming attached to some of the characters.  Lots of plot twists.  Really, just a blast.

I'm kind of surprised at all the NWN comments.  If you can stomach the graphics, go back and play the games that spawned NWN.  Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

A Bard's Tale, Might and Magic 1 - 4 are a couple favorites but my all-time favorite would have to be Fallout 2.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• AmannasAmannas Member Posts: 95

Stonekeep !!!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by DAS1337

Never played pen & paper.  

I'm kind of surprised at all the NWN comments.  If you can stomach the graphics, go back and play the games that spawned NWN.  Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale.

Not too late yet.

Icewind dale were actually just released a few months before NWN by Interplay who because of it got sued by Bioware and lost publishing rights to NWN, they had licensed the engine for Torment and then used it for Icewind dale 1 & 2. I never thought they were that great, Trment was however really fun.

I also played both Baldurs gamrte games, I enjoyed the first one slightly more than the second but I still think NWN is Biowares masterpiece.

If you only soloed it I can understand if you think BG 2 is as good or even better but it was in multiplayer NWN truly shined. There were many really good homemade servers with up to 128 players at the same time on. Not a MMO but close.