Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RuneScape Life Expectancy

JekkenoJekkeno Member Posts: 11

Hey, I started playing RuneScape when RS2 came out and I loved it (though I was fairly young). Now i'm starting to play again. I like that it has been around for years,  and is the worlds number one online game. But what I would like to know is if it will last much longer, and how long do you think. I do not want to invest all my time and then have it closed down. Thanks :)

Canadian

Comments

• RectifyerRectifyer Member Posts: 103

I personally think it will be around for quite some time to come! They will keep upgrading it in my opinion

• BchampBchamp Member Posts: 5

Mark Gerhard stated in an interview earlier this year that Jagex has plans for Runescape extended over the next 10 years.

Games I play that aren't on the List: MUD1, Planetarion, Freestyle Street Basketball, Hattrick, RS Classic

I'm a Fantasy Hoops nut!:NBA.com,ESPN,KFBA,RotoHog, PASPN Mock GM, Yahoo, CBS, Hotbox, FleaFlicker

• BermannBermann Member Posts: 40

The game is not going to die. Period. It will decline, yes, but not die. There will be drastic changes, yes, but it will not die.

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353

Even though I would love for Runescape to just die just so we all can say "I TOLD YOU SO!" to Jagex. The truth is it's going to be around for decades. Jagex has problably made enough money to keep the servers up for hundred years even if there's only 5 people in total play the game at the time.

It will continue to decline though. I guarantee that.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

That's my guess. This game is far too popular and accessible for it die anytime in the forseeable future.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• BermannBermann Member Posts: 40

Originally posted by Bonemane

Even though I would love for Runescape to just die just so we all can say "I TOLD YOU SO!" to Jagex. The truth is it's going to be around for decades. Jagex has problably made enough money to keep the servers up for hundred years even if there's only 5 people in total play the game at the time.

Based on short term speculation, most of the flak Jagex gets are from Ex-scapers. There are alot of vocal ones on utube...It's almost unbelievable. One year ago, it was almost nonexistent!

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Originally posted by Bermann

Based on short term speculation, most of the flak Jagex gets are from Ex-scapers. There are alot of vocal ones on utube...It's almost unbelievable. One year ago, it was almost nonexistent!

Actually it really hit the fan back when they made the trade and wilderness updates, it has been much calmer since. There were riots.. mass drops and no one even picked up the junk, they just let it disappear.  Guilds left by the masses, Mods left, Players that had been there from  the beginning. It was why they made their " worst update ever" T- shirts. LOL

So many rares left the game forever that day.image

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353

Originally posted by Bermann

It's never nonexistent. Like he said it just dies down for a bit before another storm hits. Even when all us ex-scapers played there was a huge uproar of drama every now and again over Jagex uncanny ability to make excessively stupid decisions such as putting a sex depraved, power hungry, 20 something year old nerd in charge of  moderating the entire game... single handledly at that mind you which resulted in the most ridiculous bans ever and problably one of the biggest community backlashes in runescape history.

Only difference between today and then is that the game was actually pretty good and not nearly as nerfed as it is today.

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

Originally posted by Jekkeno

Hey, I started playing RuneScape when RS2 came out and I loved it (though I was fairly young). Now i'm starting to play again. I like that it has been around for years,  and is the worlds number one online game. But what I would like to know is if it will last much longer, and how long do you think. I do not want to invest all my time and then have it closed down. Thanks :)

I'm sure you can play it safely, most mmorpg's based on the internet (not counting bbs ones and all that) games that came before it are still running, it's not going to close anytime soon, sure.

• PrinceZarokPrinceZarok Member Posts: 17

Yup Runescape has made a lot of money...enough to keep them going for quite a while. However as everybody said it will definitely go into decline especially if they're gonna continue as a browser based mmo..

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177

Runescape is a pretty decent game and I do like the updated graphics.

• Jalice888Jalice888 Member CommonPosts: 113

Geez another 5 year old that lacks knowledge of what the game was about. If you haven't got the experience from a long time ago and how the game continually goes more backwards, you lack the ability for a rational comment. Runescape was a game that anyone could play but improving graphics has slowed all movements in skills so badly it takes more than 10 times as long to get what we used to even just 5 years agoimage

This game will keep going as we have already paid for all the servers many times over aswell as stocked them on new computers for years. Runescape is now a dumping ground for all the hopeless games like Mechscape, it wouldn't work so they just called it a skill named Dungeoneering and wrecked Runescape even more. image

So who will play: all Jagex staff - must be hundreds of them & their no-lifer friends, all the support sites who must keep the game alive to keep their own sites active and oh yes, those poor people that only ever wanted one game to play and can never catch up as the gates keep getting moved. Jagex doesn't give a damn about all the people that made the game a success and the ones only on a bit paying for the rest have been treated worst of all. It's amazing that lagg was a problem of RS2 from the start and it's even a lot worse now. Tell your friends to wake up and not pay to find yourself ignored, unrespected and more often not moving or talking at all!image

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

Originally posted by PrinceZarok

Yup Runescape has made a lot of money...enough to keep them going for quite a while. However as everybody said it will definitely go into decline especially if they're gonna continue as a browser based mmo..

Being browser based is doing RS more good than anything. That and it's low requirements.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

As long as grade school age children are able to find a way around their school's network filtering Runescape will continue to have new players.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • I have just recently started back playing this game after about a 4 year break. It was grown substantially since then, and they have made more money on it then ever before. I highly doubt this one is going anywhere for a long time..