Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This may sound silly but.....

mesechemeseche Member UncommonPosts: 27

Ok i have been playing mmos for quite a long time now. First mmo was everquest got into it when they had the Luclin came into full swing. Funny thing is that i was a horible typer but when i had to play EQ i had to learn quick and learn quick i did. Jump... what has it been almost a decade? Well back to what i am getting at is talking to people acutaly hearing their voices. I can see the reason why it is important but I do not like it. All these games and all this people what vent or teamchat. I get it im not an idiot but some times its just the biggest letdown to be playing with somone and then hearing their voice. My imagination creates sometimes the most grand of voices for people who i think play awsome and then i hear their voice and all i think is WOW... that is not what i expected. So honestly i try not to play with chat. Guess what i am asking is, am i crazy?

Comments

• HiddenxdragonHiddenxdragon Member UncommonPosts: 127

To me no ur not crazy, I do the same thing, But somtimes u need to use Vent ot VC b/c it is easier.

• AthlAthl Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 159

Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consciencious stupidity.

• helthroshelthros Member UncommonPosts: 1,449

Originally posted by meseche

Ok i have been playing mmos for quite a long time now. First mmo was everquest got into it when they had the Luclin came into full swing. Funny thing is that i was a horible typer but when i had to play EQ i had to learn quick and learn quick i did. Jump... what has it been almost a decade? Well back to what i am getting at is talking to people acutaly hearing their voices. I can see the reason why it is important but I do not like it. All these games and all this people what vent or teamchat. I get it im not an idiot but some times its just the biggest letdown to be playing with somone and then hearing their voice. My imagination creates sometimes the most grand of voices for people who i think play awsome and then i hear their voice and all i think is WOW... that is not what i expected. So honestly i try not to play with chat. Guess what i am asking is, am i crazy?

I don't get it.... You're trying to find out why your judgement was horribly wrong? No one can answer that but you, sir.

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

The perception of a character and their equipment vs who they really are and the attitude they represent is a shattering divide.

What works for me is roleplaying ^_^

I'll explain it for you:

I roleplay my characters in-game through a voice-manipulation/altering program I use. I am able to sing in the real world and my vocal range is between C2 - C6. If one wants a deeper voice or higher voice, octavers work. These kind of programs allow you to make a voice that is male or female, young or old. I formally learned how to use my voice and make accents as it works.

For those reading this, specifically males who wish to roleplay a female character like this as MMORPG really means "Mostly Males Online Role Playing Girls" you should at least learn feminine and masculine forms of speech, along with triggers and shifts in voice. Thats not the program that messes it up, its your own voice if you go too soft or harsh. Finally, learn careful speech and cultural approaches that each gender faces. It helps a lot..

Why am I saying all of this? I have landed myself in quite a few problems before from roleplaying both genders and sounding "too much of one gender" or "too little" before. An Alto or Tenor is simply fabulous for training for acting, its a gateway to all voices. ^_^

• HardlinemonkHardlinemonk Member Posts: 67

Originally posted by Shinami

The perception of a character and their equipment vs who they really are and the attitude they represent is a shattering divide.

What works for me is roleplaying ^_^

I'll explain it for you:

I roleplay my characters in-game through a voice-manipulation/altering program I use. I am able to sing in the real world and my vocal range is between C2 - C6. If one wants a deeper voice or higher voice, octavers work. These kind of programs allow you to make a voice that is male or female, young or old. I formally learned how to use my voice and make accents as it works.

For those reading this, specifically males who wish to roleplay a female character like this as MMORPG really means "Mostly Males Online Role Playing Girls" you should at least learn feminine and masculine forms of speech, along with triggers and shifts in voice. Thats not the program that messes it up, its your own voice if you go too soft or harsh. Finally, learn careful speech and cultural approaches that each gender faces. It helps a lot..

Why am I saying all of this? I have landed myself in quite a few problems before from roleplaying both genders and sounding "too much of one gender" or "too little" before. An Alto or Tenor is simply fabulous for training for acting, its a gateway to all voices. ^_^

^ keep it in the bedroom please.

Oh and OP, I see what you are saying but maybe you should only use vent servers during PvP combat, when it's absolutely necessary.

• terroniterroni Member Posts: 935

I actually heard someone who affected their speech while on vent. Most annoying bugger ever.

I think i had the biggest disconnect in FFXIV. Big lumbering Roegadyn was a scottish girl. Miqotes...well we all know they are all guys.

Drop the next-gen marketing and people will argue if the game itself has merit.