Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is it? The Final blow.

Funcom is Preparing for closure? 

AO is suffering huge finacial loss as we all see this with the new changes to scrape up more money.

The final blow stated by Means - AO is Moving to Canada....

Funcom is sending everyone home - They are no longer needed in Oslo.

Mean's work visa is up so why renew it? - Funcom knows AO will not make it another signed contract term with the team.

Since most of the work is now done in montreal and Means is from Canada its easier to run the team when the director is from Canada  - he can easily assemble a new team as our colleges and universities offer co-op placements.

Its easy to read between the lines and put 2 and 2 together - We all feel it and they can't hide it anymore.

I love AO that it just sucks so much that is coming this way.

Comments

• TyrenceTyrence Member Posts: 3

I sincerely hope they replace the entire customer service department when they move.  AO is a great game, but it is managed very poorly, and especially in regards to customer service.  You can follow the link in my sig if you don't know what I mean.

• chriselchrisel Member UncommonPosts: 990

Do you doomsayers got nothing better to do than spread one bad rumor than the other around about AO?

The move to Montreal has been well known for ages. I have known this for very long time, long before I returned to AO. Those with the slightest interest about FC or AO would have known the move to Montreal has been planned for ages. Why on earth would FC make promises about the game as well as spend (more) money on the game if they planned to shut it down? RK1 seem to be really bustling with life these days, so why bring something to an end that seem to be a sure  income? All this rubbish, false rumors and negative focus from clueless people is definately not something FC or AO is deserving. Get a clue about the current state of the game or FC itself before posting lame insinuations like that. You might earn at least some credibility then.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/showthread.php?t=585333

Make us care MORE about our faction & world pvp!

• AresteraArestera Member Posts: 4

Oh yes..I am clueless and you beleive in promisse by  FC.

Any company in "general" t hat is closing its doors NEVER gives anyone a heads up. Companies will continue there work and making promisses to make sure we know nothing about it until the day it closes. Go read up on business 101

I love the game... I have played AO for 7 years straight and I playing to this day.

I would like to see the game for another 5 years but come on. lets be relistic here and its great you are optimistic.

And you know why I am posting here? because my post would be deleted at the AO forums to keep it down as they can not respond to such a post!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Did they every get round to doing the engine update in this game?

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Originally posted by Caldrin

They are still doing it...

Seriously, I see that move to Montreal is plan for future, they would just close AO down if they were for it.

Real issue is the Norway, mainly it being even twice as expensive for man-year than Montreal. So they are going to save some money in long run and might even increase production team size, if it regains some popularity.

Originally posted by Ekaros

Seriously, I see that move to Montreal is plan for future, they would just close AO down if they were for it.

Real issue is the Norway, mainly it being even twice as expensive for man-year than Montreal. So they are going to save some money in long run and might even increase production team size, if it regains some popularity.

This. Well said.

@Arestera:

Why on earth would FC pay a 3rd party company (item shop browser) if they are planning to close the game?! Don't be ridiculous. I do not need read any business 101 to understand your statements are absolutely far out. You should consider reading them yourself as you are exactly 'clueless'. Population in AO is definately increasing, so yeah, smart move to close the game that appears running better than never before (LOL).

You are most welcome to Norway, so you can have a feeling about how expensive everything is. A glass of beer at restaurants costs roughly 12-15$, a Porsche Cayenne cost at least 250.000$, a normal house would cost estimated 1.000.000$, probably more, in Oslo. I am personally shocked that FC has been able to run their company as long as they have. I guess some patriotism have kept them from moving out years ago.

I am of course, as nationalistic I am, sad to see such a fine company leave Norway. What I do though, is fully understand that they might have no other choice.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Well good news they are still working on the grpahics update ill come back when they do that..

I hoep this game does not die before then..

Well good news they are still working on the grpahics update ill come back when they do that..

I hoep this game does not die before then..

Absolutely no signs for that.

Can't say for sure that FC is closing the doors or not on AO, but Arestera has some good points.  In particular, if that was going to happen, you would never know it.

You almost sound like a FC employee the way you seem to promote it Chrisel.  I do agree with you on one thing however....I, too, am shocked they have been able to run their company for this long...

Originally posted by Tyrence

Can't say for sure that FC is closing the doors or not on AO, but Arestera has some good points.  In particular, if that was going to happen, you would never know it.

You almost sound like a FC employee the way you seem to promote it Chrisel.  I do agree with you on one thing however....I, too, am shocked they have been able to run their company for this long...

I wish I was one. Would be a dream come true; to be a part of a development team in an MMO, preferably AO.

I havent been a hardcore fan all the time since its release though; I've had my ups & downs with the game. Today game is really appealing to me, and I am more than happy to spend a few calories promoting this game freely. I detest that people with little or no clue come here into this forum bashing the game with their outdated "info". I have been searching for a good MMO for years, and meanwhile been playing WoW partly for my addiction, partly out of boredom and some part of the game mechanics that appeals me. The day I read the patch notes about UI changes in AO, I knew I had to return; there were no more excuses for me to not.

As a native norwegian, I am proud too, that we have a gaming company like this here. As I said earlier, I am sad to see it go abroad. MMO marked is in need of gems like AO. New games are so damn shallow, and Age of Conan was no exception. If you can look past the GFX in AO, the game mechanics are unrivalled by none, even today almost 10 years later. I fear that if AO is shut down alot of good MMO mechanics are gone too. AO has some to learn from WoW, of course, but I would say games like WoW has more to learn from AO than vice verca. These are my opinions though.

I am, understandably happy to see so many people online in AO, so it saddens me that people come here trashing the game for no reason. Well, they HAVE a reason, but they are using out of date arguements. Fair enough, talk about the current situation & bash it for what it IS; not for what it USED to be. Please understand that if someone are using old outdated experiences to bash AO today, they must surely expect a commotion.

• AresteraArestera Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Arestera

Originally posted by chrisel

This. Well said.

@Arestera:

Why on earth would FC pay a 3rd party company (item shop browser) if they are planning to close the game?! Don't be ridiculous. I do not need read any business 101 to understand your statements are absolutely far out. You should consider reading them yourself as you are exactly 'clueless'. Population in AO is definately increasing, so yeah, smart move to close the game that appears running better than never before (LOL).

You are most welcome to Norway, so you can have a feeling about how expensive everything is. A glass of beer at restaurants costs roughly 12-15$, a Porsche Cayenne cost at least 250.000$, a normal house would cost estimated 1.000.000$, probably more, in Oslo. I am personally shocked that FC has been able to run their company as long as they have. I guess some patriotism have kept them from moving out years ago.

I am of course, as nationalistic I am, sad to see such a fine company leave Norway. What I do though, is fully understand that they might have no other choice.

So I did some research on the cost of living in Norway and compared the exchange and its no different  here. Infact our cost of living is higher is some areas. The only thing I found expensive was the alcohol. If you Make $100k a year you are taxed up to 40-60%. Gas here is $5 per gallon. Milk is $4 for 3 ltrs. Your prices are the same as ours for the most part its just your income that must be very low.  Make more money:)

Also for that Porsche in the custom turbo package retails for $100k US max. Average cost is around $67k MSRP..  If anyone in Norway buys that Porsche for $250k deserves to lose that money. If thats the case I want to move there and scam people. It only costs $1.20 a kilo to ship overseas. Why would you make yourself look like an idiot "USING" a porcshe for a comparrison cost of living AND saying it costs $250k in Norway. Look up the shipping costs and customs taxes.

Anyways, you are doing a good job keeping the game alive and I do agree with you that it is a great game.  All I have done is made points by reading between the lines. I would like to be wrong but look at the state of the game.

Future advise,  if you want respect from us reading your posts - keep the bullsh-it out of them.  I have read several other posts from you and they are all great posts but you lost my respect pulling this cost of living using a porsche as compairison. 

Oh - weather you refering to me or not, No one here was bashing AO in this thread. Keep your facts straight. You posts no longer have relevance here. I cant tell you want to do but i suggest you dont waste your energy here.

Cost of living might be same or not too much lower. But Norway being one of Nordic-welfrare countries, the tax burden on both employer and employees is very different. Also Canada has had some tax-breaks atleast with TSW team which Norway doesn't have, I think they are applying same on AO's dev team...

Federal tax rates for the 2009 tax year

• 15% on taxable income up to C$40,726 +

• 22% on taxable income between C$40,726 and C$81,452 +

• 26% on taxable income between C$81,452 and C$126,264 +

• 29% on taxable income over C$126,264

Ontario (provincial) tax rates for the 2009 tax year

• 6.05% on taxable income up to C$36,848 +

• 9.15% on taxable income between C$36,848 and C$73,698 +

• 11.16% on taxable income over C$73,698

We have to pay both fedral and provicial taxes.  Healthcare is included.

We do pay alot in taxes as well,however our quality of life is great because of this.

And yes we do have great programs for new companies and corp co's as well. Such as the govn't will pay 10-20k for  hiring and training new employee's. Its all there if they take advantage of it all.

• FireForkFireFork Member Posts: 64

Funcom died with AoC and AO was dead long before that time.

And i sign that with 100 %, if you have a comment plz take it with Funcom ... why they didn't

even spoke to all players that suffered big loss at release of AoC, over 100k threads in 45 days in support says it all.

Fuckcom (neveragainwhatevertheydo)'

I am, understandably happy to see so many people online in AO, so it saddens me that people come here trashing the game for no reason. Well, they HAVE a reason, but they are using out of date arguements. Fair enough, talk about the current situation & bash it for what it IS; not for what it USED to be. Please understand that if someone are using old outdated experiences to bash AO today, they must surely expect a commotion.

You need to separate the game from the company.  The game is everything you said it is, but the company....you just can't ignore the problems that are going on in that company.

For instance, let's start with the customer service, since that's the part we can see most easily.  I found this site (http://www.anarchy-online.biz) that is DEDICATED to exposing the GM failures.  Just think how bad you have to be for your own players to dedicate a site to that.  And that's before you've even read what's on there.  You can go on there and read the stories but basically what you realize is that the GMs have no one checking them or making sure they are doing the right things, so they all do their own thing.  The people in the company that have the power to change this either don't know that it's happening or don't care.  In either case, that's a huge problem.  You can infer that this type of thing is happening in other areas of the company, but of course you can't know for certain unless you have inside information.

The ONLY redeeming quality that I see in Funcom is the depth of their games.  And I'm mostly talking about AO since I haven't played the other ones.

So I did some research on the cost of living in Norway and compared the exchange and its no different  here. Infact our cost of living is higher is some areas. The only thing I found expensive was the alcohol. If you Make $100k a year you are taxed up to 40-60%. Gas here is $5 per gallon. Milk is $4 for 3 ltrs. Your prices are the same as ours for the most part its just your income that must be very low.  Make more money:)

Also for that Porsche in the custom turbo package retails for $100k US max. Average cost is around $67k MSRP..  If anyone in Norway buys that Porsche for $250k deserves to lose that money. If thats the case I want to move there and scam people. It only costs $1.20 a kilo to ship overseas. Why would you make yourself look like an idiot "USING" a porcshe for a comparrison cost of living AND saying it costs $250k in Norway. Look up the shipping costs and customs taxes.

Anyways, you are doing a good job keeping the game alive and I do agree with you that it is a great game.  All I have done is made points by reading between the lines. I would like to be wrong but look at the state of the game.

Future advise,  if you want respect from us reading your posts - keep the bullsh-it out of them.  I have read several other posts from you and they are all great posts but you lost my respect pulling this cost of living using a porsche as compairison. 

Oh - weather you refering to me or not, No one here was bashing AO in this thread. Keep your facts straight. You posts no longer have relevance here. I cant tell you want to do but i suggest you dont waste your energy here.

I strongly suggest you should keep your suggestions to yourself unless you are a moderator. Tell me, why all this hate in the first place? Jeez, go unwrap a gift or something.

Well, whatever.

Norway has a very bad infrastructure, so we are mostly in 'need' of using cars. That Porsche was just a quick example upon a car, as I knew that ones price from someone at the job. (I was shocked btw, when I heard the difference of its price) If you think a Toyota Corolla is cheap (39.000$ to 53.000$), think again. Every things that falls into the "luxury" cathegory, like cars, PC's, alchohol, and so on costs alot. Even food. 1kg (2lb) pork meat (bacon) cost roughly 25$ or more. Dunno what it costs in USA but I dont have to go longer than to Lithuania to find the same meat for like 5$.

30-40% of our total income (wages) goes to tax, for income less than 65.000$. Above that income has a 50% tax. (roughly estimates) Upon this, we have high prices on house, flats/apartments. Not uncommon to pay like 2.500.000nkr for a 50kvm flat in Oslo, Akershus/Bærum (400.000$ for 400sqf). You are also talking gas here. 1 gallon is nearly 4 litre. That means your gas costs 1.25$ pr litre, which is 7.50nkr pr litre. Not uncommon that gas is up at 15nkr in Norway. (Myself has a GMC Yukon on LPG, so I dont follow the prices much, as propane cost 4.50nkr pr litre). Yeah, call me "stupid" too; that car cost over 700.000nkr (120.000$) as 2 seater. Over 1.500.000 (250.000$) as 5 seater. Thats the reality. Whether its imported or not. Import taxes are btw, insane here in Norway, especially on big cars like that. I dont drink milk, but if I remember correct, it costs almost 15nkr pr litre (2.50$). Maybe we should start import the milk too? A pair of average Levis jeans, I would guess nearly 1000nkr, which would be 150$. My Ecco shoes cost 300$ (1700nkr).

Norway also has a tax upon each employees, which could be as much as 14%. We also need to pay the "state" a documentarytax when we buy houses, which is 2.5% of the value of the house. When a truck is (re)registred, it is not uncommon to pay 10.000$ just there when it changes owner! Old or new; ech time any vehicle changes owner, that sum has to be paid until it is 12 years old I think. That registration is roughly 2000$ for cars. Second hand or new.

Below I have taken a Cayenne and calculated its import tax. Car is estimated to cost 300.000nkr in USA (50.000$) and I am then using the import calculator what I need to pay in taxes for this car

Car:

http://www.finn.no/finn/car/used/object?finnkode=25706788

Import calculator:

http://tux.aftenposten.no/calcFrame/start.htm?id=7

Let me sum the costs of this car imported to Norway:

1.458.917,-  (tax)

16.500,-  (shipping)

300.000,-  (car)

= 1.775.417,- nkr which is 295.900$

As you can see the car in finn.no costs 1.699.999nkr! On top of all this, you would have NO guarantee if anythings happens to the car. New dealership guaruantee Norway ranges from the regular minimum 3 year, up to 7 years offered by Kia. Let me add, that I dont even know if this car would now eligible to be driven on roads, cause you need to resgistrate it as well. There are in fact 3 departments that shall have taxes paid to them before you are allowed to even turn on the key. Good luck "scamming" us norwegians you clueless ignorant *censored*!

The situation is more complex than you are trying to "proove" it. Again, you need probably move here to figure it out. But you are reading some statistics and then you think you suddenly got some "clue".

FAIL!

I work at a restaurant, and I have yet to meet any tourist who has not complained about the prizes in Norway (a steak at the restaurant cost 40$-50$). Cheap, huh?

You should understand that theres more behind everything that you could come up with on the internet. Oslo has topped the 'highest cost' city for many years. Beating Tokyo and every other city year after year as being the most expensive city to live in. I come from a small pos hole far up north, almost 1000km north of the polar circle; prices are almost as crazy there due to the "Snøhvitfeltet". So this is not some particular phenomena in just Oslo.

Let me finish this lame discussion by saying that Norway has one of the worlds oldest car park, and definately EU's oldest. It is in fact so old, that many of those cars should have been taken to the junkyard for safetys case. How come, considering we are so wealthy? Get a clue. Things are not as "equal" as you try to convince yourself from some statistics you have found on the net.

I wish you a merry christmas. I also wish you had clue, cause this was a 'no-contest'.

-Chris

Originally posted by Tyrence

You need to separate the game from the company.  The game is everything you said it is, but the company....you just can't ignore the problems that are going on in that company.

I would have agreed with you some years ago.  Recent changes, and 'Means' arrival has brought me from a 'disbeliver' to a 'beliver'. I fail to see why FC would spend so much energy upon Anarchy Online if they were planning to shut it down. Not few years ago, I did though, not belive a word FC said. My trust to FC sank with Age of Conan. I am a person who is willing to give  a 2nd, or even a 5th chance if I see commintment to improve themself, as I feel FC is trying here.

To me, Anarchy Online IS FunCom. So I have a bit hard time to separate them ;)

Cheers & merry Christmas!

Everything you said is wrong..... Stop it. Idid all the conversion tables and you are wrong. Clearly you have NO idea what you are talking about.  You do no know much about Canada do you? As I said you should stop  your presence in this thread and dont waste your time as I am proving that you are.  You are angry - there is no place for angry people here. You really do need to go over Egg and see what you are writting On.  You need more happyness in your life than TRYING to prove people wrong on forums and to people you dont even know. Do not wtist my words as I never called you stupid.  You must be hand full in a relationship!

Cheers and its Happy Holidays as Merry Christmas is religous and fails in the rules of conduct in these forums that religion talks are not allowed. Dont waste your time. Promote the game. We are not attacking AO it self. Let me say it agian as you have missed it.  I THINK AO is a great game and I wish it to stay.   NO NO NO I did not just say its a bad game and lets bash it.. Let me try one more time... I THINK AO IS A GREAT GAME... STOP IT>.. I did not not say that. Oh sorry you did. I was ust make sure since I called you stupid but you cant quote that I did..   Phew.. you almost had me there..

Happy Holidays!

My numbers are correct. Try import one if youre so sure to make money then. Almost 1.5million nkr just there in taxes. Please, learn norwegian or get a clue before you accuse me for posting the incorrect numbers.

Below, from our 'Department of Customs', put in your numbers there then, then come back accusing me for being wrong. Now, this might give you a "clue". Well maybe not, as I feel youre too ignorant to even bother..

OFFCICIAL calculator from our Department of Taxation:

http://www.toll.no/templates_TAD/RegistrationTax.aspx?id=79&epslanguage=no&step=1#anchorResult

Insert:

-Beregningmåte: 'Bensin' (gasoline)

-Egenvekt in kg: 2200 (weight)

-Motoreffekt: 400 (hp)

-Dato for førstegangsresgistrering: 23.12.2011 (date the car is imported)

You can skip the CO2 tax. Doesnt matter.

In any case: the amount that just the Department of taxation will have is nearly 1.400.000nkr. This is even for a car that is 1 day old. Please, accept the facts or move on.

Now, you do know that christmas is a heathen tradition, don't you? I am starting to wonder how old you are, cause history is obviously not a strong part of your knowledge.

Merry 'heathen' christmas kid.

Why do you seem to be not interested in keeping this thread about FC & AO, instead of being so personal??

As a native Norwegian citizen I can fully understand why FC is "shipping" out. Running business in Norway is definately hard, and we have huge problems competing on wares when it comes to export. Again, it saddens me to see such a fine company as FC leave. Now, I am unsure if I would call FC some kind of company that export "physical" wares, but it is definately exporting "services". FC moving out, just shows that theres something wrong in Norway with our levels of different costs. 

What I am 100% sure about, is that  FC moving to Montreal is definately not some "final blow". It definately looks like a "smart" move, purely out of economical issues. Too bad our politicians can't be smart enough to make it easier for companies to survive in Norway. In any case: If you can save money, you should also be able to earn more money. I will be expecting more from FC since they should be able to run their business more effecient. I think we (AO fans) have a good time to look forward to, despite what all the doomsayers here at the forums thinks.

PS:I forgot to tell you that you need to insert the CC of the car as '4800' in the window named "Slagvolum i kubikkcentimeter", for anyone who might be interested in double-checking my statements which shows the insane tax levels we have in Norway. We are using 'cubic-centimeters' in Norway, opposed to 'cubic-inches' in USA, thus the high number inserted.

• hobo9766hobo9766 Member UncommonPosts: 457

Everything you said is wrong..... Stop it. Idid all the conversion tables and you are wrong. Clearly you have NO idea what you are talking about.  You do no know much about Canada do you? As I said you should stop  your presence in this thread and dont waste your time as I am proving that you are.  You are angry - there is no place for angry people here. You really do need to go over Egg and see what you are writting On.  You need more happyness in your life than TRYING to prove people wrong on forums and to people you dont even know. Do not wtist my words as I never called you stupid.  You must be hand full in a relationship!

Cheers and its Happy Holidays as Merry Christmas is religous and fails in the rules of conduct in these forums that religion talks are not allowed. Dont waste your time. Promote the game. We are not attacking AO it self. Let me say it agian as you have missed it.  I THINK AO is a great game and I wish it to stay.   NO NO NO I did not just say its a bad game and lets bash it.. Let me try one more time... I THINK AO IS A GREAT GAME... STOP IT>.. I did not not say that. Oh sorry you did. I was ust make sure since I called you stupid but you cant quote that I did..   Phew.. you almost had me there..

Happy Holidays!

My numbers are correct. Try import one if youre so sure to make money then. Almost 1.5million nkr just there in taxes. Please, learn norwegian or get a clue before you accuse me for posting the incorrect numbers.

Below, from our 'Department of Customs', put in your numbers there then, then come back accusing me for being wrong. Now, this might give you a "clue". Well maybe not, as I feel youre too ignorant to even bother..

OFFCICIAL calculator from our Department of Taxation:

http://www.toll.no/templates_TAD/RegistrationTax.aspx?id=79&epslanguage=no&step=1#anchorResult

Insert:

-Beregningmåte: 'Bensin' (gasoline)

-Egenvekt in kg: 2200 (weight)

-Motoreffekt: 400 (hp)

-Dato for førstegangsresgistrering: 23.12.2011 (date the car is imported)

You can skip the CO2 tax. Doesnt matter.

In any case: the amount that just the Department of taxation will have is nearly 1.400.000nkr. This is even for a car that is 1 day old. Please, accept the facts or move on.

Now, you do know that christmas is a heathen tradition, don't you? I am starting to wonder how old you are, cause history is obviously not a strong part of your knowledge.

Merry 'heathen' christmas kid.

Well I do have to move on. I have a warning from the moderator. It was fun while it lasted.. Btw, there are hidden messages in my replys to you hoping that you would have figured out by now  - Here is one of them "Egg On".

Merry Christmas Christine!

Something very fishy is going on around here.....

• burmeseburmese Member Posts: 546

FYI, Funcom started moving to Canada back in 2009. The bulk of the The Secret World development moved there starting over a year ago.  Age of Conan Crew came next during this past year and now it is AO's turn. It is vastly cheaper to operate in Canada compared to Norway and that has been the driving factor all along.  It's expensive to move all those people and systems but they come out ahead after a year or so in the North American location.

~\_/~\_O

• JavafanJavafan Member UncommonPosts: 45

Originally posted by hobo9766

[Wall of text]

Something very fishy is going on around here.....

I know...

That "Cheers and its Happy Holidays as Merry Christmas is religous and fails in the rules of conduct in these forums that religion talks are not allowed." left me speechless as well.