Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EverQuest II or EQ2X? And is it worth it at all?

PabswikkPabswikk Member Posts: 108

Well title says it all really...I'll probably end up subbing either way, so which one is the best choice in terms of server population, community and..well everything really!

And like it says in the title is it worth even joining up at this point or should I just find a newer, shinier game?

Comments

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541

Since EQ2X is F2P you should give that a shot. I don't think there is much difference in graphics and game play. If you find something missing in EQ2X that the full game has then try it. If neither floats you boat then find an MMO that does whether it is shiny or not.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Go for the P2P version, it will give you a lot more for the money. The F2P is not giving you much.

Just do the free trial instead and if you like it you can start to sub without buying anything (but you will need the latest expansion when you level up that far).

As long as you play on one of the higher pop servers it is fine. Always play on a US server even if you live somewhere else. Antonia Bayle is by far the largest, Lucan Dlere is pretty good as well.

• elihupelihup Member Posts: 102

P2P is the way to go.  The free version is going to irritate you with all of the restrictions.  You can do a free trial on the P2P servers, you can also pick up the full game with all expansions pretty cheap (~$20) if you can find it in a store.

• TrollaramaTrollarama Member Posts: 96

Bronze has 2 bank slots. How many bank slots does it have for Silver upgrade?

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Originally posted by Trollarama

4 bankslots and 2 shared. Also 4 characterslots. Silver is a one time upgrade for 10$ btw.

• RozallaRozalla Member Posts: 51

I want to give eq2 a try as well but I can't seem to find any info about a free trial on their website.

• GrayGreeneGrayGreene Member Posts: 239

I'm almost positive there is no more free trial on any servers.  I have been playing on freeport server in extended and love it. I am going to sub to get a fuller game and make some money through auction.  I wasn't sure whether or not to abandon my character, buy the game, and get more for the buck, or keep my character (you can't do both) and stay on freeport server which may be more populated with larger range of character levels.  (I'm thinking freeport might be a really good server for new players, free or not.  That's what i'm trying to figure out myself before i make a move.)  

• NicroxNicrox Member Posts: 140

EQ2 did server merge about a week ago  which helped focus server population. And a new expansion is set for release Feb/2011 as well. But EQ2 has lost its flame alone the way. Most players that I've found such as my friends that started playing EQ2 since release have left after 5 years of EQ2 stating that EQ2 is about raiding only. And yes there are alot of tight guilds that raid only and thats it. They log in for 3 hours to raid high end stuff the log out as soon as raids done. And theres guilds that do high end farming for rares and cafting bots.

With that in mind if you don't have the time to raid every night because even if your in a high end raif guild your not going to  get all your raid gear in ne night it could take you months maybe a year because theres other players of the same class ahead of you with 10000000000000 dkp to spend.

Even with the expasnion players will burn through it in 3 months if not less and by the end of next year there will be another sever merge no doubt there. SOE mmo's are slowly dying. You see it written on the wall. Loook at SWG when the new star wars is released how long does any thing that SWG will last. Vanguard has been written as its standing on it last leg it might have a few months left. And EQ2 with the new expansion gets flying mounts like Vanguard has..a clone in the making before vanguard closes.

If you can wait best bet is to try Rifts: Planes of Terra if you sigh up now they handing out beta keys.

Originally posted by someforumguy

4 bankslots and 2 shared. Also 4 characterslots. Silver is a one time upgrade for 10$ btw.

I bought Silver to take advantage of the double SC offer but I've just realized the housing limit in regards to 20g. I'm guessing I'm stuck with the basic accommodation unless I upgrade to gold.

• OtiroOtiro Member Posts: 205

Originally posted by someforumguy

I bought Silver to take advantage of the double SC offer but I've just realized the housing limit in regards to 20g. I'm guessing I'm stuck with the basic accommodation unless I upgrade to gold.

Just so you know. That 20 gold is per level. So at level 10 you can have 200 gold on you (2 plat).

So go ahead and get a bigger house if you like, you will be able to afford it. There is a house in New halas that is big with I think 5 vault slots. which is quite cheap. 

Originally posted by Otiro

Just so you know. That 20 gold is per level. So at level 10 you can have 200 gold on you (2 plat).

So go ahead and get a bigger house if you like, you will be able to afford it. There is a house in New halas that is big with I think 5 vault slots. which is quite cheap. 

Ah, good to know.  Thanks for that.

By the way. Silver gave me 3 bank slots not 4 so I'll have to take advantage of bigger bags in the future. I'm saving the SC so I think the next logical step would be to unlock the remaining 2 inventory bags.

I'm a little funny with classes so I'll have to risk picking one to unlock. I've found in my experience that I tend to stay away from magic using classes in my MMOs. I usually pick brawn, and to a lesser extent, healing classes.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by GrayGreene

I'm almost positive there is no more free trial on any servers.

Yes and no. You can't just go to the EQ2 site and jump into a free trial anymore. But anyone who is subscribed on the P2P servers can send you an invitation to a 2-week free trial with the Rise of Kunark expansion content. The free trial can then be converted to a regular subscription (with some advantages to both inviter and invitee). But the better route, if you like the game, is to pick a $20 game box from Best Buy or whatever and subscribe with the CD-key in that: more expansions and claim-able goodies, 30 days free play, and some Station Cash (plus keeping the characters already created in the trial).

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by CasualMaker

Originally posted by GrayGreene

I'm almost positive there is no more free trial on any servers.

Yes and no. You can't just go to the EQ2 site and jump into a free trial anymore. But anyone who is subscribed on the P2P servers can send you an invitation to a 2-week free trial with the Rise of Kunark expansion content.

On the off-chance that anyone is interested, I have a couple of buddy passes from retail game boxes; they're good for a 14-day trial, but have to be used by December 31.

EverQuest II The Complete Collection, all expansions up to The Shadow Odyssey

key code: RD3E 9RPX C6ZZ HPT7 ARX5

EverQuest II Sentinel's Fate

key code: RD38 KH3D JGP2 HMG4 DZ99

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

you can buy the game and all expansions, with some statiion cash chucked in, on steam for like 17.99 or something and it would include a free month.

that's what i did when recently i started playing again (decided to get a brand new account)

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by Nicrox

EQ2 did server merge about a week ago  which helped focus server population. And a new expansion is set for release Feb/2011 as well. But EQ2 has lost its flame alone the way. Most players that I've found such as my friends that started playing EQ2 since release have left after 5 years of EQ2 stating that EQ2 is about raiding only. And yes there are alot of tight guilds that raid only and thats it. They log in for 3 hours to raid high end stuff the log out as soon as raids done. And theres guilds that do high end farming for rares and cafting bots.

With that in mind if you don't have the time to raid every night because even if your in a high end raif guild your not going to  get all your raid gear in ne night it could take you months maybe a year because theres other players of the same class ahead of you with 10000000000000 dkp to spend.

Even with the expasnion players will burn through it in 3 months if not less and by the end of next year there will be another sever merge no doubt there. SOE mmo's are slowly dying. You see it written on the wall. Loook at SWG when the new star wars is released how long does any thing that SWG will last. Vanguard has been written as its standing on it last leg it might have a few months left. And EQ2 with the new expansion gets flying mounts like Vanguard has..a clone in the making before vanguard closes.

If you can wait best bet is to try Rifts: Planes of Terra if you sigh up now they handing out beta keys.

well if you are completely new to the game and want to play through the solo quests, there is plenty to do before the next expansion, even wih the merges I wouldnt as a new player expect to get groups, atleast not automatical, would properbly need some patience, and make the lower level groups yourself - as Nicrox friend said this game have been out for 5 years and very lumped up in the endgame, it took a week to level from 80-90 for most in raidgear, and another week to clear the group content so ofc at this point most just raids - not to say regular groups doesnt happen, they still do on my server atleast.

gaining raid gear is incredible easy this expansion so its not true about the you have to spend countless nights of raiding for a slim chance, if you get yourself into a raid guild with just 3 nights, like mine, you d have to be incredible unlucky to not have a full armour side  set with a mix of T1/2 and hardmode sets.

as for value if you just want to solo through Id wait till destiny of velious get released next month or try it out on EQ2x start with - EQ2 expansion includes all prior expansions, and on EQ2x, atleast as it is now, all expansions are free up to the most current.