Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQ Next - hopefully some of Vanguard inspires it ?

SOE has announced they do EQ3 now - its called "EverQuest Next" and is supposed to be closer to EQ1 than EQ2.

The official forum has a discussion thread about it.

Many posters in this thread mention they would like to see parts of Vanguard return in EQ3.

In any case, it doesnt sound too awful and as far as MMOs go, this is maybe the closest we'll get to see Vanguards quality, but with more players in the game itself.

Comments

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

If they do that I believe they will get a shit ton of subscribers. Vanguard had some brilliant ideas but just managed poorly, and killed by soe. I would definitely play EQ Next if it was a lot more like EQ1 with Vanguard features.

• BaiameBaiame Member UncommonPosts: 143

I'm excited to see what SOE plans to do with EQ Next.  I'm still subscribed to Vanguard and love the game.  I also liked EQ2.  I've played the so called  "next generation of mmo's" and have been disapointed to this point.  Bring on another "old school" game.  Looking forward to it. 

• Params7Params7 Member UncommonPosts: 212

Idk how much carebear SOE would want the devs to go on it. We're in a gaming age where games hold your hand a lot (there are exceptions, like Demon's Souls).

But EQ Next is the only upcoming alternative to Vanguard..I wish there would be more.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

I realy wish soe to make Everquest Next more like Vanguard than the other 2 Everquest games since those two are very instanced and I dont like that.Hopefully the reason soe is trashing Vanguard is becouse that game is more like Vanguard 2 than Everquest 3.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Kinda wishful thinking.  Say you are a SOE exec, you look at the success (or failure) of the games you own.  In one corner you have Vanguard, the game that Smed purchased from Brad McQuaid, probably as a favor for his past services in Everquest.  Vanguard has done nothing but give them headaches ever since they forked over the money to dig it out of the graves.  Graves as in Sigil ran out of money before the game was even released, so by all rights the game was dead before it was lifted out of its graves to be forced a launch...a horrible launch.  The rest we all know how it went, fanboy or haters, everybody knows how VG turned out 2-3 years later so there's no arguments there.

In another corner you have Everquest 2, a game that while may not have attracted the original EQ1 crowd, it surprisingly attracted plenty of new age gamers.  These are some of the gamers that had WoW as their first game.  EQ2, like it or not, is now SOE's flagship game, possibly their highest populated game that makes SOE plenty of cash.

Then there's another corner with Everquest 1, the game that started it all, the game that 11 years later, is still stuffed with players on the servers.  17 expansions later the game is still going strong, still having 1 expansion a year, and it's making SOE tons of cash.

So while I understand why VG players want EQ Next to be more like Vanguard, you should have a more reasonable expectation.  EQ Next will most likely be a cross between EQ1 and WoW, and I use WoW because you can bet there will be PvP & Battlegrounds, there will be flying mounts, and there will be for the first time seamless worlds in EQ franchise.  They will want a slice of the WoW-pie, like all gaming companies do right now. 

Vanguard, let's face it, it had some features and ideas ingame that made no sense.  Or it caused the game developers a lot of time needed to work things out, time that management view as wasteful because you always allocate time spent by how many people will utilize such features.  So I don't expect to see diplomacy in EQ Next, I don't expect to see Vanguard's crafting in EQ Next.  They already said there will be less classes than EQ1 so I don't expect them to copy Vanguard's class design either.  MMORPG's in general are simplifying not getting more complex.  Vanguard = complex, and apparently the crowd has spoken that they do not want a game like Vanguard otherwise that game wouldn't be down to 1 US server 1 euro.

There aren't a whole lot that Vanguard has that other games haven't done.  Also expect zones to have a mixture of open world & instances.  No games are coming out anymore that do not have instances at all.  As for a truly seamless open world, WoW does it best, not Vanguard.  Vanguard's chunking is and has always been clunky.  It makes you feel like zoning sometimes.

So can people actually name some things that they should take from Vanguard that other games aren't doing already?

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• DominarrDominarr Member Posts: 17

Originally posted by Mardy

Vanguard = complex, and apparently the crowd has spoken that they do not want a game like Vanguard otherwise that game wouldn't be down to 1 US server 1 euro.

I think the bulk of Vanguards issues were not that it was complex, but that SOE never cleaned it up, fixed the bugs, added content.  Thats all I saw people complain about.  Not that it was too hard.  Heck people to this day say they loved how EQ 1 was so vague and not spoon feeding as far as questing.  It was kind of like playing an old 80's text adventure game as well as a 3D game all in one.  You guys think EQ was tough, those old 80's text adventures were a REAL bitch!

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

People today say they loved the good 'ol days of EQ1 with all its tedium yes, but just because people have fond memories of the good 'ol days, it doesn't mean they'll actually fork over the money to play it now.  Heck people today are still complaining about the EQ we have today, even after years and years of revamps, upgrades, and them getting rid of old tedium.  People today are different, I know myself I've grown up from the EQ days.  I still play EQ today, but I don't want the old tedium back.  That's just me.

So while Vanguard's problems were largely due to content being unfinished, game engine being one of the worst we've seen in the genre, bugs everywhere, things not working right, lack of content at later game, lack of PvP balancing, etc etc etc..  a lot of poeple were at the same time complaining about Vanguard's ideas.  Let's take crafting for an example.  My g/f does crafting in all MMO's we've played, look at my sig we've played a lot.  Vanguard was the first MMO she gave up on crafting because of how bad it is. Yet you have VG players saying Vanguard crafting being complex and difficult is a good thing.  That I don't get, because I have videos of a crafting area full of 10 bots....yes 10, all 10 of them, were botting crafting.   This is what happens when you attempt to make things difficult and tedious, you end up with players that simply bot rather than play your game.  Of course you report them but they don't do anything because they don't want to lose subscribers.

Then you look at traveling.  Getting lost is fun for the maybe first 10 minutes, after that it becomes annoying.  People want to get to where they want to go.  It's fun to explore on your own time, but it's not fun making a group wait for your butt and you're either lost or you are at least 10mins away.  Imagine a VG without riftways, like during the first month.   There were plenty of complaints from people that said it takes them forever to run from one town to another.  This was the case even if they've bought a newbie horse.

The complaints weren't all technical, there were plenty of content complaints about Vanguard.  It's just often drawn out by the overwhelming loud voices saying they were having trouble running the game or other content/engine related bugs.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Vanguard was never  ever  developed as an easymode carebear game.

[object Window]

If you didn[object Window]t play the Beta 1 - 3 you really don[object Window]t know what was going on long before the game has gone live. The day Brad announced So[object Window] as the new publisher the community lost easily 70 % of its former base, we did complain adviced them not making the same mistake again but hey didn[object Window]t listen and we all know how it ended up.

I hope EQ Next will take the seemless world the Beta 2 UI and the crafting system.

[object Window]

Everquest 2 is making So[object Window]money? *lol* its like WoW with better graphics and the german servers are soon down to 1. They screwed up the loyal Everquest 1 playerbase and failed to attract the instant me now crowd and for sure released a crappy translated version of the game.

[object Window]

Everquest Next could be their chance to regain the old EQ1 crowd but knowing their track record I think it will be a stylized aka cartoony graphics game with handholding.

[object Window]

Personally I[object Window]m hoping for a mixture of Vanguard and Everquest 1 (before the dumb down).

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• BaiameBaiame Member UncommonPosts: 143

Originally posted by Mardy

So can people actually name some things that they should take from Vanguard that other games aren't doing already?

What first attracts me to a mmo is the various classes.  How many classes are there?  Are they fairly balanced?  I want more races and more classes than what WOW offers and many more than Rift offers.  It seems that many of the new mmos really don't have the 19 class choises offered by Vanguard...rather the "next gen" of mmos offer somewhere in the range of 6-10. 

Second, I want a huge, open world.  Darkfall is close to what I'm looking for when it comes to large worlds. 

Third, I look for content.  Content, content, content.  Even without updates, VG has a ton of content.

Fourth...and I'm not alone...I thought diplomacy was great. 

Crafting is great in VG.  It's not easy, so there are fewer crafters out there to make various items.  I'd even go further.  Make crafting elite.  Make the payoff greater. 

Bottom line, I look forward to EQ Next. 

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by Adamantine

SOE has announced they do EQ3 now - its called "EverQuest Next" and is supposed to be closer to EQ1 than EQ2.

The official forum has a discussion thread about it.

Many posters in this thread mention they would like to see parts of Vanguard return in EQ3.

In any case, it doesnt sound too awful and as far as MMOs go, this is maybe the closest we'll get to see Vanguards quality, but with more players in the game itself.

Sorry who said it is supposed to be closer to EQ1?

Link please.

Those words cannot possibly come out the mouth of John "I also enjoy WoW" Smedley, not even from John "my kids play WoW" Smedley

Vanguard has been made by a game designer (Brad MCQuaid) SoE fired all game designers and hired marketing people instead.

So do not expect anything exciting coming from SoE any time soon

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Yeah because Vanguard is such a  success, i am sure devs of EQ next will take inspiration from it.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• AzzkickaAzzkicka Member Posts: 157

Rofl... its good to see the unrealistic expectations are already starting for this game.  I hope you guys are seriously let down when it comes out!

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

image I see people are setting themselves up for another disappointment, boosting their expectations to unrealistic heights.

Ah well, will be great forum fun again when the game arrives in beta image

Such a shame all that Vanguard support wasn't there when it could really make a difference for the game, before the point where it is now where SOE only allows Vanguard to exist, and not an inch more than that.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Originally posted by Paradoxy

Yeah because Vanguard is such a  success, i am sure devs of EQ next will take inspiration from it.

It's not a success because for 1 year after launch only 2 people could run the game, it is not a game design issue.

Problem is that if you fail to build a strong community from the start the game will generally fail.

In particular games like Vanguard which require lot of community interaction, it's not like STO where it doesn't matter if no one else is playing it since you can confortably playing it by yourself.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Originally posted by OoMpAlOmPaZ

If they do that I believe they will get a shit ton of subscribers. Vanguard had some brilliant ideas but just managed poorly, and killed by soe. I would definitely play EQ Next if it was a lot more like EQ1 with Vanguard features.

I could not agree more.  The design and scale of Vanguard is both epic and brilliant.  The poor execution resulted in a dwindling population.

I want EQ3 to be Vanguard 2.