Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kotor Issue

whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

Okay, so i'm sure everyone knows i'm interested in ToR, but this isn't about that game, just related

So while waiting for ToR i decided to go all nostalgia and put in my Kotor 1 disc (the best of pc version)

Heres the problem i'm having.

I can load the game fine and make a character, however when i get to the loading screen for the first time it gets to about 1/4 through the bar and then just crashes with the 0x00408cb1 reference memory at 0x00000030 memory could not be read.

I've tried the following

Adding Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 into the graphic option

Downgrading my video drivers.

disabling shadows and grass

nothing seems to work.

The first time i played I got into the game just fine but then crashed at the first 2 sith warriors

I will grant you my disc isn't in the best condition in the world so if thats the problem i understand but i would like to check all my options before buying a new game only to find out, that isn't the issue.

PS. i have looked around quite a bit and either something isn't related to my condition or it falls into one of the steps above.

My card is a Nvidia GeForce 9600 GSO 512

I'm at a complete loss here, and kinda close to just giving up for now until i find a solution.

Edit: i'm on windows XP SP3.

I don't know if the service pack 3 is doing anything, but i kinda want to avoid undoing updates to windows to play a game unless that is the core reason.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Apparently its a bugger to get running on new-ish systems. I.ve always had trouble trying to get it running without crashing to no avail.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Not sure if I can help you but I am going to try to play it now thanks to you :)

I will let you know if I have any success.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• RomeuFCRRomeuFCR Member Posts: 58

I've heard of this issue before, but related to KoTOR 2 and not KoTOR. However based on my knowledge of the issue I can give you what might have caused that crash. I'm sorry if it's none of these things but I haven't played them in a long time and I personally never had that issue.

- Graphics driver, as strange as it might seem I know from other ppl that tried playing KoTOR 2 recently that they had to install old nvidia drivers to solve this same problem, the game was crashing with the "memory cannot be read error". When I mean old I mean drivers around the time of the game's launch. Edit: Seems like the 177.xx Nvidia drivers solve the problem on KoTOR2, don't know about the first one :

- Sound driver issues, there were reports of problems with the sound driver when using Vista to run KoTOR 2, related to a file called "mss32.dll". Don't know that OS you're running but try disabling the audio device and running the game.

My own personal suggestion is to do 2 things, first try to dump the game disc into an ISO and then use daemon tools or something like that to load it instead of trying to read the game from the original disc.... which might solve the problem if it's related to corrupt files due to the disc being unreadable in some sectors.

The other suggestion I have is to try and run it from a XP box (maybe using vmware to load a simple xp and install the game there and try to see if it works... windows xp compat mode sometimes isn't enough).

Hope it helps, cheers.

Edit: Just saw now your edit saying you're on XP SP3 so disregard my comments mentioning the OS as the probable cause.

Playing:

RIFT, EU Blightweald Server

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

I bought the steam version of this game (couldn’t find my original media) and it worked fine so they must have put some sort of wrapper around it to make it work better.  I had a friend of mine that bought a copy off of gog.com and said that works wells to.  It kind of sucks to have to rebuy a game like that but if you are buying a version tweaked to run on modern system it might be worth it.

Edit:  Sorry I don't see KOTOR on GOG.com.  He was talking about Baldurs Gate.

• Damiarch72Damiarch72 Member Posts: 9

The GOG versions all have modern compiable wrappers on them.Its thier stick.Making semi old games work.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

the biggest problem with card is on Nvidia's website the oldest drivers they have are: GeForce/ION Release 186

If i use these, then they don't have 3D hardware.  If i try and go older then this, when i try and install the drivers, it just says it's not supported :/

I think my comp may just be too new for this game.  I really hope that isn't the case.  It's kinda odd cause this is a 2003 game and i can't run it, while the longest journey a 1999 game i can run.

I will try the sound option though see what happens.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

Yeah if i simply can't get this version to work i may have to snag the GoG version or the steam version (i've heard problems with the steam version so i'll try that after the GoG version).

Originally posted by udon

I bought the steam version of this game (couldn’t find my original media) and it worked fine so they must have put some sort of wrapper around it to make it work better.  I had a friend of mine that bought a copy off of gog.com and said that works wells to.  It kind of sucks to have to rebuy a game like that but if you are buying a version tweaked to run on modern system it might be worth it.

Edit:  Sorry I don't see KOTOR on GOG.com.  He was talking about Baulders Gate.

Yeah, might be a good option. It's 4.49€ on steam right now. Might buy it myself since my discs are also nowhere to be found eheh :)

Playing:

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

Originally posted by whilan

the biggest problem with card is on Nvidia's website the oldest drivers they have are: GeForce/ION Release 186

If i use these, then they don't have 3D hardware.  If i try and go older then this, when i try and install the drivers, it just says it's not supported :/

I think my comp may just be too new for this game.  I really hope that isn't the case.  It's kinda odd cause this is a 2003 game and i can't run it, while the longest journey a 1999 game i can run.

I will try the sound option though see what happens.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_177.35_whql.html

Edit: had posted the ones for vista, sorry. This is the correct driver for XP.

I'm 100% sure these drivers include Direct3D... and:

"Supports GeForce GTX 280 and GeForce GTX 260 GPUs."

These cards are more recent than your 9600GSO, so they have to install.

Playing:

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

• TheMinnTheMinn Member Posts: 397

2 ways you can, possibly, fix this.

1) Update your video drivers. simple as that.

or

2) Run it in Windows 2000 mode. or XP. i forget which one. but that works all the time. but try the drivers first.

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

I bought kotor on steam a few weeks ago and it's playing just fine. I run Windows 7 with a 460 GTX card.

However I do have a small issue of the game minimizing to desktop during the intro stuff. Not every time though but it does get tedious relaunching the game 3 or 4 times before I can actually load it up. Turning off ingame movies fixes it but I'm not about to do that in a story driven game.

Not much help, I know but the steam version works for me at least.

Tried numerous things to get my CD version to work to no avail

Finally broke down and bought the steam version for 4.50 and it works perfectly. Thanks for the suggestion.