Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why doesn't everybody fly?

I am an acrobat, and I enjoy it. But I feel like I have an advantage over people who are fast-travelers, and that flying characters have an advantage over me. How is this balanced? Does the game even attempt to balance, or is it just a preference feature? Why doesn't everybody just chose to fly??

I haven't explored much of beta, I'm only level 5. I'm just curious. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

Comments

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Hit level 9, purchase rocket glide assist, problem solved.

Also everyone has skills that can ground flyers, figure them out

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

It's very hard to catch a flier, but very easy to escape one.

As an acrobat I find tons of ways to get up buildings and escape quickly by using the grappling hook movement perks, but there really is nothing you can do to catch a flyer that's way above any buildings you can use for climbing or rocket-gliding lifts. If you can manage to target one and get within the distance needed to CC them, they will fall to the ground and be yours though. It's just hard to get to that point.

I would have to say the vast majority of players choose flying though, because it seems to be the best way to avoid getting caught... so long as you always perch about a mile into the stratosphere, regardless of where you are headed.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• DocEllis611DocEllis611 Member Posts: 86

Thanks GTwander.

Now I know. I still plan to stick with acrobat for release.

• Chile267Chile267 Member UncommonPosts: 141

Flyers have it made. I fly. I attacked a hero my lvl on a roof top and afer a few exchanges he, after stunning me, leaps of the building to escape. His acrobatics were impressive until I looked over the edge to see him run up the other side of the building across the street. I started flying towards the roof top of the other building to meet him and when he arrived at his destination I helped him check his bags.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by Chile267

Flyers have it made. I fly. I attacked a hero my lvl on a roof top and afer a few exchanges he, after stunning me, leaps of the building to escape. His acrobatics were impressive until I looked over the edge to see him run up the other side of the building across the street. I started flying towards the roof top of the other building to meet him and when he arrived at his destination I helped him check his bags.

Because he didn't have the grappling hook perks.

There's no way you could catch him if he had both the perk that lets him zip horizontally to the next building, as well as the one that zips him up top in a blink.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• kiernkiern Member UncommonPosts: 428

Originally posted by Chile267

What does that prove?  Clearly you were fighting someone who didn't want to fight you if they stunned you and tried to run.  If they were playing PvP then it's likely that they would want to fight if it was fair.  If they ran they were either lower level than you, or they were new to the game,.....or both. You say they were your level, but clearly they were trying to avoid fighting.  None of that makes flying superior.  if you were close enough to attack them, they were close enough to attack you. They could use an ability to pull you to them, and clearly they could stun you.  If it had been a real one on one fight your flight wouldn't have mattered.

It's also clear that they weren't using any of the special acrobat abilites, so I'm guessing they were still pretty low level and hadn't taken any yet.

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

Gravity.

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

I haven't bothered w/ Superspeed, but Acrobatics performance increases dramatically when you start putting points into some of its movement oriented powers (ziplines, jets, etc)