Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift/ Vanguard Discussion

Big_DataBig_Data Member UncommonPosts: 48

I understand there is an NDA over Rift beta, but without violating that, I am interested in Vanguard players thoughts on the arguement that "Rift is going to be a Vanguard replacement."

Vanguard was one of those MMO's to me that I always wanted to get more attention.  It is the direction I wished MMO's had taken, too bad that if failed while WoW exploded, so most MMO developers copied what worked.

So, is viewing Rift as a great Vanguard replacement just hype, or is there something really there?

Comments

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I'm not in the Rift beta, so I am guessing just as much as the next person, but I do not think it is going to be a true replacement for Vangaurd.

It might be a great game, but I suspect it is going to be much more like wow than it is vanguard.  At least towards the features that really make vanguard stand apart.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Rife = Vanguard ? Not even close.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

Rife = Vanguard ? Not even close.

This....

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

Wow and Vanguard had a baby and made Rift?  Not even close.  More like Aion, WAR and WoW had a threesome there was a kid named Rift.  Not sure who the daddy is though.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I posted it somwhere else already, but there it goes.

NOTHING will ever come close to Vanguard in many many years, specially given the massive dumbage the genre is enduring nowadays. With all its bugs, Vanguard is still one of the deepest and most inmersive MMOs, if not the most inmersive of them all.

Having said that, I can understand why many Vanguard veterans are considering Rift as their next MMO.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Originally posted by zombiocracy

I understand there is an NDA over Rift beta, but without violating that, I am interested in Vanguard players thoughts on the arguement that "Rift is going to be a Vanguard replacement."

Vanguard was one of those MMO's to me that I always wanted to get more attention.  It is the direction I wished MMO's had taken, too bad that if failed while WoW exploded, so most MMO developers copied what worked.

So, is viewing Rift as a great Vanguard replacement just hype, or is there something really there?

No

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Originally posted by gordiflu

I posted it somwhere else already, but there it goes.

NOTHING will ever come close to Vanguard in many many years, specially given the massive dumbage the genre is enduring nowadays. With all its bugs, Vanguard is still one of the deepest and most inmersive MMOs, if not the most inmersive of them all.

Having said that, I can understand why many Vanguard veterans are considering Rift as their next MMO.

I just returned to Vanguard.It was a bit of a shock(how much there is to learn).We get condictioned to these light,same as the other one games.Then there's Vanguard.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654

Unfortunately Rift and VG are on the different ends of the MMO spectrum.  If Rift was a baby it would be suckling on its mother WoW's breasts.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Rift will be better than Vanguard in that it will have a development team, content updates and perhaps even expansions.  Rift will more than likely also have a much smoother launch, and most probably won't be trying to live down or recover from a bad reputation for years to come.

As for it being a 'replacement'; it is way too early to tell.  Testing is very focused and restricted to fixed areas, so testers are seeing only a small portion of the game's content or long term potential.  Time will tell, but it won't be too hard for Rift to be a more successful game than Vanguard ever was or will be.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654

Originally posted by Shoju

Rift will be better than Vanguard in that it will have a development team, content updates and perhaps even expansions.  Rift will more than likely also have a much smoother launch, and most probably won't be trying to live down or recover from a bad reputation for years to come.

As for it being a 'replacement'; it is way too early to tell.  Testing is very focused and restricted to fixed areas, so testers are seeing only a small portion of the game's content or long term potential.  Time will tell, but it won't be too hard for Rift to be a more successful game than Vanguard ever was or will be.

I 100% agree; Rift will be more successful than VG, but without breaking the NDA too much, IMO Rifts gameplay is the complete opposite to VG which is the topic being discussed in this thread.

• ShojuShoju Member UncommonPosts: 776

Originally posted by Buccaneer

IMO Rifts gameplay is the complete opposite to VG which is the topic being discussed in this thread.

So no Diplomacy and a less complex crafting system make it the complete opposite of Vanguard with regards to gameplay? 

Sorry but I just don't see it.  I got more immersion/understanding of the world/story in the first 10-15 levels of Rift than I ever got from the first 10-15 levels of Vanguard.  The world environment changes as you play, where I know I could log back into Vanguard today (and every day) and the same mobs/NPCs will be standing in the same places doing a whole lot of nothing.

But as I said above, it is still too early to weigh too many of the pros/cons of the differences between the two games as we have only been exposed to a very small amount of it.  The long term potential of Rift is still an unknown quantitly, but Vanguard's furture/long term potential is not something I would be overly certain of.

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

Originally posted by Shoju

Originally posted by Buccaneer

IMO Rifts gameplay is the complete opposite to VG which is the topic being discussed in this thread.

So no Diplomacy and a less complex crafting system make it the complete opposite of Vanguard with regards to gameplay? 

Sorry but I just don't see it.  I got more immersion/understanding of the world/story in the first 10-15 levels of Rift than I ever got from the first 10-15 levels of Vanguard.  The world environment changes as you play, where I know I could log back into Vanguard today (and every day) and the same mobs/NPCs will be standing in the same places doing a whole lot of nothing.

But as I said above, it is still too early to weigh too many of the pros/cons of the differences between the two games as we have only been exposed to a very small amount of it.  The long term potential of Rift is still an unknown quantitly, but Vanguard's furture/long term potential is not something I would be overly certain of.

Lol @ your post.

You are still defending Rift over Vanguard when that's not even what this discussion is about. It's about differences not what game is better.

Comprehension fail

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Originally posted by zombiocracy

Trust me, the idea of Rift being a Vanguard replacement is the equivalent of WOW being a Vanguard replacement.  TRUST ME.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Originally posted by Letsinod

Wow and Vanguard had a baby and made Rift?  Not even close.  More like Aion, WAR and WoW had a threesome there was a kid named Rift.  Not sure who the daddy is though.

Highlighted statement says it all.  You would need a microscope to see the Vanguard in RIFT.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

There are some similarities with VG, like both games have levels, hitpoints and so on but that is about it.

I mean I can understand if people think EQ Next will replace VG but Rift is far closer to Wow and LOTRO.

• SailormoontwSailormoontw Member UncommonPosts: 33

I would say Rift is closer to Warhammer Online than Vanguard....

EQNext might be the successor of Vanguard though.

• dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294

Rift has taken some of the best elements from various games and mashed them up together. If you are a longtime Vanguard player you will see some things in Rift that will remind you of vanguard. An eq2 player will see things there that will remind him of eq2  etc etc. The biggest difference from all other games is the class system which is pretty much unique. All other stuff in the game you have seen before elsewhere. NEVER before in one place though.

PS If you want proof to what I am saying, in just 2 pages the game has already been a child of eq2,vanguard,wow, war, lorto,aion. 

• dimmit77dimmit77 Member Posts: 294

Originally posted by Sailormoontw

I would say Rift is closer to Warhammer Online than Vanguard....

EQNext might be the successor of Vanguard though.

I wish. Unfortunately EQNext is gonna be an everquest reboot aimed for the playstation crowd :(

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by dimmit77

I wish. Unfortunately EQNext is gonna be an everquest reboot aimed for the playstation crowd :(

Lets wait until we know more to say that for certain.That Sony is making SOE telease all their games for PS3 as well as PC does not mean all their games will be focusing on consoles, even though that is very possible.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

From what i saw in videos,Rift looks to me more like GW2,with it's dynamic events system,that looks pretty much identical.

I don't like the idea of having generated NPC's join the battles,i prefer to ONLY have the players fight the enemy.

RIFT

Can use slider to 1080p,looks pretty good ,i have to admit.

Vanguard

Can slide to 720p

obviosuly Vg is an older game,tech i think was 2004,that is quite a long time ago,they updated to handle DX9c graphic abilites,albeit the models still look dated.I don't really see the models in Rift looking that great either,and the animations are about the same.

Vanguard on release really had me intrigued and Rift has me interested as ell,but it will all come down to the combat.The whole Rift idea will mean nothing to me if it is not challenging combat.I saw one gameplay video that showed the spawned rift mobs ,just standing around not really doing anything.Maybe this is part of the design if there is a low population the rift mobs will be slowish and not really move towards anything very quickly.

I definitely will give it some effort to get a Rift Beta,it does have me intrigued.I also want to see if the skill sets are quantity or qaulity skills ,where by they are all cool or everyone will be learning the same few sets of skills.What ruins games that are meant to be played solo is the feeling that everyone will scrambling looking to build a pure dps player,becuase the "Contribution system"sounds like more damage=better loot reward.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BaiameBaiame Member UncommonPosts: 143

VG is very different from Rift.  The depth isn't present when it comes to Rift.  VG is an incredibly deep while Rift has some areas of depth but fails to show similar depth in most aspects.  Rift should never have been compared to VG.  I'm not sure I've even seen/heard of a game with similar depth as VG releasing in 2011.  Hopefully I'm wrong but EQ Next could be the "next" VG. 

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

VG has a soul and massive amounts of content.  Rift....well lets just say it's no where near VG in any way shape or form except in being more polished.

If both launched today I would have to pick VG over Rift.  Easily.  It's not what I thought it was although I'm sure it will find a crowd.  The easy to please crowd.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Sorry but you've never played VG if you think its comparable to Rift. Its like saying Mortal Online has the same depth as Ultima Online.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Originally posted by Elidien

Not sure where all of this depth is at in Vanguard except maybe at the endgame. it was quest based, the crafting was decent (deeper than some games but not the most robust system out there), and then you had dungeons and raids. You had diplomacy but it was so broken when I played, it hardly worked.

Other than a wide open world, made for exploration, I really do not get the depth of Vanguard.

Funny to see so many people singing Vanguard's praises NOW but looking towards other games. If Vanguard was so wonderful, why aren't more people playing instead of singing its praises on forums.

And FYI - most people commenting on Rift have ONLY seen only the first few levels and areas and not much more.

If I had judged Vangurd or EQ2 on the same amount of levels or time played, I would have never played them at all.

VG depth is in the classes, sheer amount of starting zones and quests, the crafting and diplomacy (whether you like it or not) as well has housing and the size of the world.  

Yes, it has issues, mainly for me it was the lack of solo quests in the mid 20s to get me over humps where no people were around to run the majority of group quests meant to help you level.  Quest based games are not indicative of shallow gameplay.  Linear, one sided no options on how to level games are the sign of shallow qualities.  Amazingly most MMOs these days have this problem.  From Aion to AoC and now to Rift and DCUO, it still is running rampant from developers.

On the other point, I found the first 20 levels of EQ2 and Vanguard just super fun.  It was the levels past that where those games dragged to a crawl and became a chore.  So, yes you can judge a game by the first 20 levels.  Just like juding a movie by the first half hour or a book by the first few chapters, if it doesn't grab you it probably won't ever grab you and you should just move on.  Pretty simple entertainment "rules" to follow.

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385

VG has 10x the depth that Rift has.    Rift has one starting area and one questing path from 1-20.  VG has so many leveling paths that you couldn't see them all with the chracter slots provided.