Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online Patch Notes for 15 December

13»

Comments

• DerpidumDerpidum Member Posts: 89

Already played a checkers game with a friend, it was great :) simple, but great.

I like butchering as well-got half ready char for that so I'm learning fast, low skills and wisent already gives 3x more silver.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

patch is good so far, a step in the right direction. For the time being butchery will make it a little toguher on solo palyers but henrik confirmed that selling the carcass striaght to vendor will be possible later.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• collcektmorecollcektmore Member Posts: 16

Originally posted by Rohn

Here's a pic of the mini-game that came with the new patch:

Pretty simple, but a nice feature for now and the future.

why waste time on filler stuff and not fix the main game?

• sandolainensandolainen Member Posts: 62

And the best of it all is that there's very few bugs in this patch! I actually haven't found any so far... I think they've learned their leason :) Let's just hope that they can keep this up! The next upcoming content patch will probably be even more exciting!

If anyone is thinking about starting to play, I can very much recommend it. Just get a guild and let them help you, and you'll be combat ready within 2-3 days of active playing and have a functional second character for crafting /gathering/anything in a bit over a week!

• HanoverZHanoverZ Member Posts: 1,239

Originally posted by Rohn

Here's a pic of the mini-game that came with the new patch:

Pretty simple, but a nice feature for now and the future.

Wow... Pretty exciting stuff!!!  

I win!!! LOL@U

• NoobgrenNoobgren Member Posts: 102

This patch was a solid one in several ways: mostly bug-free and with no major issues, but most importantly, a major step in the right direction.

With butchery in, MO is finally turning into the sandbox it was supposed to be, and away from the PK deathmatch it has turned into. No more mindless and easy goldfarming where everyone can earn huge amounts of gold by selling useless mats to NPCs. Instead, we now got real specialization and the need for player interaction.

A min/maxed fighter can no longer just go out and farm wisents for gold, which means he now has to either cooperate with a hunter/butcher, or sacrifice some fighting skills and learn butchery himself. Hunting will now be a profession, where people who actually specialize in it will earn a lot more than someone who's just good at fighting.

Another great thing about this patch is that the majority of skills now are raised by actually using them, which is also a major step in the sandbox direction MO should be heading. No more absurd book reading - if you want to be good at something, go out and do it. No more starter skills - everyone starts out as a total beginner and have to learn everything from the bottom up. Great!

Now we need some more humanoid mobs with interesting drops, some better trading tools and a completed hunger/fatigue system, and MO will really start shining.

• cirsyndiccirsyndic Member UncommonPosts: 261

Too little too late. :) 

The reason they call it a niche market is because it has a limited growth potential. The majority of the MMO player population is going to be busy with Cataclysm for the next few months at least, and there are other games who are timing their upcoming expansions for when Cata's novelty wears off. SV on the other hand has spent the last 6 months in knee-jerk reactive attempts at fixing the myriad of bugs that plague the game, doubt they have anything left over from their 5 years of coding that survived 2 complete engine rewrites.

The minority who showed interest in MO throughout it's Beta phases and subsequent release, have in most cases left the game for other pastures or gone into "hibernation" of sorts while the game gets good. A small fragment of that minority - we're talking ~100 players at best - are still playing. Mainly because there is/was no other sandbox on the market to play, besides Darkfall.

But as I said, for the most of the small niche interested in MO it's a "case closed" scenario. From my experience MMO gamers very rarely give games a second chance, and usually when they do they are reminded of the reasons why they left in the first place very quickly. At the end of the line, there really isn't anything in MO to actually have fun with. The population has dropped so much that it's pointless to even try go randomly kill people. There wasn't enough sand to keep the sheep in game, now the wolves are getting bored at biting at each other and they'll slowly drift off.

But new games are coming out, some new Developers will step up and promise the next pie-in-the-sky game and it'll start over again. MO won't see a miracle of 13,000 subs coming back - which is the number they need to "break even". They might get 50, 100, even a 1000 subs coming back if the game is incredibly good and polished and fixed; but the fundamental problem will still remain - they targeted a niche market, and they exhausted the market potential in 2 years.

The only thing remaining is to prolong the agony for a while longer until the loans close in and money runs out. Everyone on this forum can lie, SV and Henrik can lie, but at the end of the day the math of their financial report and stock situation doesn't and cannot lie. 

To paraphrase a quote, truth is a cold hearted bitch with a 15" strap-on.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

It's funny how low the standards of some fans have fallen. After months of shitty patches they get a patch that doesn't completely break the game, and praise it as an "awesome" one.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Not nearly as funny as how cynical some gamers are. While the comments have noted the patch hasn't destroyed the existing game (always a good thing) they are complimentary of the progress it has added, selective reasoning and reading is bias at best.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by Noobgren

This patch was a solid one in several ways: mostly bug-free and with no major issues, but most importantly, a major step in the right direction.

With butchery in, MO is finally turning into the sandbox it was supposed to be, and away from the PK deathmatch it has turned into. No more mindless and easy goldfarming where everyone can earn huge amounts of gold by selling useless mats to NPCs. Instead, we now got real specialization and the need for player interaction.

A min/maxed fighter can no longer just go out and farm wisents for gold, which means he now has to either cooperate with a hunter/butcher, or sacrifice some fighting skills and learn butchery himself. Hunting will now be a profession, where people who actually specialize in it will earn a lot more than someone who's just good at fighting.

Another great thing about this patch is that the majority of skills now are raised by actually using them, which is also a major step in the sandbox direction MO should be heading. No more absurd book reading - if you want to be good at something, go out and do it. No more starter skills - everyone starts out as a total beginner and have to learn everything from the bottom up. Great!

Now we need some more humanoid mobs with interesting drops, some better trading tools and a completed hunger/fatigue system, and MO will really start shining.

I pretty much agree with you completely.  Here is the problem I see.  The changes make me want to come back to the game as it is heading in the direction I am interested in (more of a simulation than an FPS death match).  There were a lot of people like me that were looking at this game to have the depth they are just now getting into.

The population was suffering. . will all of those players have kept up with the game?  Will they come back.  I will sub again, but release and the few months after are pretty critical given all of the new games etc that are coming out.  I hope many return but even then. . . 

Also. . people keep suggesting that this will make things hard in PKs. . .will they not now hunt hunters instead of wisents?

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

I somehow doubt PKs will get out of hunter more then just his gear now, if they catch one as hunting takes no time at all rigth now, you just go, kill one heavy mob and go back to nearest butcher for moniez!

Oh, and this patch is F**KN AWESOME for economy, players interact more then before just because you need a butcher for armors and money just like you need slag for metal weapons. I love it, can now focus on playing my crafter.

And about population-its slowly, but increasing, few new faces everyday and I'm talking just about one city.

• NoobgrenNoobgren Member Posts: 102

PKs will always hunt players ofc.. But now they won't be able to farm mobs for easy gold in between, which has already caused some heartbreaking QQ over at the MO forums. "What? My über cookie cutter halfbreed won't have a wisent-atm anymore!? I have to interact with others without killing them!? WTF!" :D

One can only hope that this move towards a real sandbox economy will scare the remains of that "hardcore" PK crowd away and bring in some more sheep instead. People who exclusively enjoy killing other players will have a harder time in MO now and are probably better off in games like DFO anyways.

[mod edit]

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Originally posted by Noobgren

PKs will always hunt players ofc.. But now they won't be able to farm mobs for easy gold in between, which has already caused some heartbreaking QQ over at the MO forums. "What? My über cookie cutter halfbreed won't have a wisent-atm anymore!? I have to interact with others without killing them!? WTF!" :D

One can only hope that this move towards a real sandbox economy will scare the remains of that "hardcore" PK crowd away and bring in some more sheep instead. People who exclusively enjoy killing other players will have a harder time in MO now and are probably better off in games like DFO anyways.

[mod edit]

Well its funny.  I follow the MO forums closely.  It seems like the lack of PvP related elements had the PKers all upset so they focused on that forever to the point that only the FPS (this game is focused on PvP) types dominated. . and became the only ones playing.  Now they are compaining and might leave.  That might leave to a small decrease in player base. . but I think ultimately will lead to higher population etc.

They will cry that it is now a carebear game. . but open PvP and full loot still apply the same as always.  Once the game gets to the point that being a PK is a "lifestyle" I might consider being one.

Now that I have offended almost everyone likely I will leave it there :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

Apparently Risars just invaded cave camp:

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

I'm curious... I see "GUARDS" spam in the screenshot.   Were people actually trying to call guards on the mobs instead of fighting?  If so.. did the guards instantly kill the mobs like they kill players?

From the screen it looks like the guards didn't attack and the player was guard killed instead...

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• funkmastaDfunkmastaD Member UncommonPosts: 647

Originally posted by Slapshot1188

I'm curious... I see "GUARDS" spam in the screenshot.   Were people actually trying to call guards on the mobs instead of fighting?  If so.. did the guards instantly kill the mobs like they kill players?

From the screen it looks like the guards didn't attack and the player was guard killed instead...

You obviously don't play this game.  Cave Camp doesn't have guards...    If you read the chat text, it seems  the guy called guards on himself (not sure why, but he's def. red-flagged) while in Meduli, a whole 'nother town, before arriving in CC (Cave Camp) to witnessthe attack.

edit:  To anyone interested here's a forum post with more details (apparently this attack is still happening!)

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/56848-risar-lord-big-news.html#post1075101

Long story short:  A bunch of guilds/guild alliances are fighting against Risars (tough NPCs) that invaded a lawless town.  Another guild  (Invictus I think?) attacked the player alliance and are trying to take advantage of the Risar attack to control CC, a hotly embattled town for some time now (though, in my day, CC was a pretty chill, neutral place considering it was guardless...)

Anyway, servers crashed and rebooted, the battle ensues.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947

Originally posted by funkmastaD

You obviously don't play this game.

1. Neither do you...

Cave Camp doesn't have guards...    If you read the chat text, it seems  the guy called guards on himself (not sure why, but he's def. red-flagged) while in Meduli, a whole 'nother town, before arriving in CC (Cave Camp) to witnessthe attack.

2. I think my confusion is understandable as the text was simply about risars attacking a town and the screenshot shows the player calling guards.

edit:  To anyone interested here's a forum post with more details (apparently this attack is still happening!)

Long story short:  A bunch of guilds/guild alliances are fighting against Risars (tough NPCs) that invaded a lawless town.  Another guild  (Invictus I think?) attacked the player alliance and are trying to take advantage of the Risar attack to control CC, a hotly embattled town for some time now (though, in my day, CC was a pretty chill, neutral place considering it was guardless...)

3.  I thought they could handle 27,000 simultaneous players now....

4.  I always enjoy GM driven content.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Originally posted by funkmastaD

You obviously don't play this game.

1. Neither do you...

Cave Camp doesn't have guards...    If you read the chat text, it seems  the guy called guards on himself (not sure why, but he's def. red-flagged) while in Meduli, a whole 'nother town, before arriving in CC (Cave Camp) to witnessthe attack.

2. I think my confusion is understandable as the text was simply about risars attacking a town and the screenshot shows the player calling guards.

To respond to your points:

1) yes, I am playing.  Not as hardcore as 6 months ago, but that's the nature of games.  

Why are you so negative about a game you haven't played in months?  It's like you don't even know the towns in-game... and there's not that many... I imagine it'd be hard to form and forcefully voice opinions on the nature of the game if you don't know, first hand, the nature of the game?

2) I dunno, the whole "you are now leaving Meduli" at the end was clear cut imho... that and CC doesn't have guards

3) Yeah, the servers crash sometimes.  We don't even know that the crash was related to the high number of players participating in the event, it's not like the server has only crashed on major events.

4)  Yeah... people ask for more PvE content, and they (GMs, devs, whoever) bring PvE to the players.  It even got some PvP and politics in the mix 

Anyway, an update:  The battle is over, apparently Invictus cleared the field and were the last men standing.

2. Of course you are confused, if you actually was interested in game, you knew such obvious stuff as after death speed depending on your psyche and player in screenshot being obviously a mage, which means if he had enough psyche, he would be faster then a horse and get to the place even faster, it says Meduli because he was on the other side of the world when he heared about the event so he suicided to get at cave camp asap.

3. Then you really should read what Henrik says to get the difference between "we have" and "we plan to have" and not pick whatever suits your argument best at the moment.

4. Just as we do. And as Henrik said, its just the beginning, one of many spontainous events they want to do.

I don't really think that anyone at this point is subbed because Henrik says something, to think so is quite delusional. At the moment no one on official forums gives a crap about what SV says, its all about what SV does.

As I previously said, I would not be subbed anymore if I didn't start to see progress in the right direction, which is a sandbox game experience resambling UO, not pvp fragfest it was for the last months.

I also like how you still are negative and offensive despite being hit in the face with facts about game being improved. Really, if someone wanted to play MO but was too afraid because of bugs, constant crashes and exploits I can say with clear mind that thease days are long gone and only think really detering players from playing now is simply game being not in their taste.

I talk and instruct newbies everyday now, the hardest thing for them is to learn to play, but they do fine, bugs are unsignificant enough to not spoil game experience anymore, but why would anyone believe me here? I am only some random player who actually plays the game and looks at it without fanboy or hater googles on.

• raff01raff01 Member Posts: 453

Originally posted by Derpidum

I don't really think that anyone at this point is subbed because Henrik says something, to think so is quite delusional. At the moment no one on official forums gives a crap about what SV says, its all about what SV does.

As I previously said, I would not be subbed anymore if I didn't start to see progress in the right direction, which is a sandbox game experience resambling UO, not pvp fragfest it was for the last months.

I also like how you still are negative and offensive despite being hit in the face with facts about game being improved. Really, if someone wanted to play MO but was too afraid because of bugs, constant crashes and exploits I can say with clear mind that thease days are long gone and only think really detering players from playing now is simply game being not in their taste.

I talk and instruct newbies everyday now, the hardest thing for them is to learn to play, but they do fine, bugs are unsignificant enough to not spoil game experience anymore, but why would anyone believe me here? I am only some random player who actually plays the game and looks at it without fanboy or hater googles on.

So you are implying that the game is bug free with no exploiters? The game has indeed improved, but saying that the days of bugs and exploiters are long gone I think is just how delusional hard core fans are.

Its sure improved from release, but its still lightyears from being a good game and there are plenty of exploiters : apparently entire guilds, with GM's altering the course of events, and justifying themselves with bugs that they even made up !

Not to mention an entire part of the continent being forgotten after a patch...but i guess that was a long long time ago...

Yeah I'm so hit in the face with facts.

In order to call this game good, you would need 50 times the bug fixes, 50 times the new content that's been added and 20 times more players.

But then again, I guess followers will always stick to their guns with same old arguments. Before release you would hear : "its BETA !!" now you hear "its just 6 month past release, its already improved!!"  and the "its a nice game !" or "this game isn't for everyone"...It even gets to a pathetic point where some, after running out of arguments to defend it just say : "I'll renew my sub because I am supporting the ideas"

Originally posted by raff01

Originally posted by Derpidum

So you are implying that the game is bug free with no exploiters? The game has indeed improved, but saying that the days of bugs and exploiters are long gone I think is just how delusional hard core fans are.

Its sure improved from release, but its still lightyears from being a good game and there are plenty of exploiters : apparently entire guilds, with GM's altering the course of events, and justifying themselves with bugs that they even made up !

Not to mention an entire part of the continent being forgotten after a patch...but i guess that was a long long time ago...

Yeah I'm so hit in the face with facts.

In order to call this game good, you would need 50 times the bug fixes, 50 times the new content that's been added and 20 times more players.

But then again, I guess followers will always stick to their guns with same old arguments. Before release you would hear : "its BETA !!" now you hear "its just 6 month past release, its already improved!!"  and the "its a nice game !" or "this game isn't for everyone"...It even gets to a pathetic point where some, after running out of arguments to defend it just say : "I'll renew my sub because I am supporting the ideas"

Quite a few people are disagreeing with you, so maybe it's time to stop pretending like your opinions are somehow facts.  It's not as buggy as you're trying to make it, the GM's aren't as evil like your trying to make them, and constantly referring to a single bug that was in for about half a day, about a month ago, makes you seem like you're just looking for ways to pile on negativity, so I gotta ask why...?

The fact that you have to insult everyone that plays the game - or says something non-spiteful about it - is also telling.  Come on man, you've spent so much time hating MO that you now automatically hate people that play it, calling them delusional, pathetic and stupid...

No, I am implying that the game is perfectly playable with not gamebreaking bugs or exploits in current state. I never said that all bugs and exploits were fixed. Read what I have wrote, not what you want to read please.

The GM event you probably never bothered to read explanation and what stepps were taken for it to never happen again I guess so I will not explain as you don't care anyway.

What I'm saying is that newcommer do not give a shit about what was X time ago in beta or at release, newcommers care about what they have NOW and now they have perfectly playable game if you like that kind of gameplay(sandbox style).

"its just 6 month past release, its already improved!!" and the "its a nice game !" or "this game isn't for everyone"

And which of thease arguments exactly is not valid? First one is 100% true, anyone who played at release and now can confirm you that without hesistation. Second and third one, well as I already said, its a matter of taste-the amount of people who play the game is not the way to measure games awesomeness or 2 most awesome games ever made in history of gaming would be Solitare and on 2nd place WoW. That many millions of players can't be wrong, can they? I'll go back to EvE example. Its now a great game, well made, good looking, polished, with deep gameplay. Why it does not have 12kk subs? Because "its not for everyone" as it does not cater to everyone(statistical 'everyone' do not like full PvP and full loot, that 2 features alone cut tousands of potential subs from the game and you know it just as well as I do. Its same with MO, not everyone like to play xomplicated game where nothing is easy and you have devote yourself to do something, most players just want to log in and 'melt faces' on WoW arena or go to dungeon and get some purple items. Now, you do not like this game, because you do not want to like it, no matter who will tell you what, you will not like it anyway and will not be convinced so why should I even keep explaining myself when you see only what you want to see?