Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone remember the last Successful mmo launch?

2»

Comments

• DrOrpheusDrOrpheus Member Posts: 46

While it's not a mainstream or popular game, Uncharted Waters Online had a very good release. There wasn't any lag issues, no major bugs and it just ran smoothly. That said - it was already released in other parts of the world so that most likely is the reason for that.

• LeagolxLeagolx Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by DrOrpheus

While it's not a mainstream or popular game, Uncharted Waters Online had a very good release. There wasn't any lag issues, no major bugs and it just ran smoothly. That said - it was already released in other parts of the world so that most likely is the reason for that.

ya before comming to the US im pretty sure it was out for 4 years so that would explain that but there has been some pretty smooth f2p launches imo.

If your going to ban the trolls please for our sake ban the Fan Boys too.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by minchet456

After reading all these threads about FFXIV, and STO being major let-downs "to most people", I started to think back. Ive been on mmorpg.com for years now, not posting much but definitly lurking, and have notice over the last couple of years that almost every mmo that has launched, has been slammed. So my question is this. Does anyone remember the last mmo launch that had a good reception at launch? Im not saying they dont exist, they are just slipping my mind right now.

Uhm, that was guildwars (if you call it a MMO).

LOTRO was close but had so little content at launch. The polish of it were pretty good however.

GW were great already at launch.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

I am waiting on someone to say WoW so I can fall over laughing. As to a good launch Lotro has it in my book but it was already live for the first 15 levels prelaunch day so it wasn't really an issue. Now for the AoC cape question, yes we got them, no we never got the bar room brawls. Which is why AoC failed in the long run, they promissed big and then kept chipping away at that promiss. First was the number of classes, then it was the dual classing, then it was the prestige classes, then the pvp. By launch day over 75% of what they had promissed had been axed from the game. Which proves that if your going to make an mmo, don't tell people jack about what is in it until you have put it all in there.

• duelkoreduelkore Member Posts: 228

WAR had the best launch day i remember. 

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by minchet456

After reading all these threads about FFXIV, and STO being major let-downs "to most people", I started to think back. Ive been on mmorpg.com for years now, not posting much but definitly lurking, and have notice over the last couple of years that almost every mmo that has launched, has been slammed. So my question is this. Does anyone remember the last mmo launch that had a good reception at launch? Im not saying they dont exist, they are just slipping my mind right now.

Uhm, that was guildwars (if you call it a MMO).

LOTRO was close but had so little content at launch. The polish of it were pretty good however.

GW were great already at launch.

GW had more content than LotrO??

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• LeagolxLeagolx Member Posts: 222

Originally posted by duelkore

I disagree i thought it was unplayable.

If your going to ban the trolls please for our sake ban the Fan Boys too.

• TomWoodrowTomWoodrow Member Posts: 49

Very surprised by the people saying LOTRO. Are you sure you were there for launch? All I remember is endless bugs, lag, and other issues that still plauge the game to this day.

join us on seastone (btw no cash shop to run your bank account dry)

http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?83070-Lotro-Players&s=d555bfc9e2f4d22851c5359cb80e5b27

Originally posted by Leagolx

Originally posted by duelkore

I disagree i thought it was unplayable.

Hmm.  I had 3 other friends start with me.  We all started on launch day.  No one had any issues at all.  We used cox cable for ISP.   No crashes, no lag, our machines spanning the spectrum from total crap to the best money can buy.

I forgot about the aion launch.  i didnt like the game for even a month, but launch day was painless also.  Just goes to show it is not al that hard to launch an AAA mmo properly.  Really reflects badly on a developer that cant launch a game these days

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Try saying that to EU Aion players.  The launch was the worst ever.  They didn't have enough servers and refused to add more.  Queues were up to 7 hours, and were that way for weeks.

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Snippet60

Rift will have a solid launch. 

Yay for crystal balls!

Well if beta's any indication the game will probably launch at least on par with games 7 years old, and a lot  less content.

I just don't think that's very impressive.

• corpusccorpusc Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

Originally posted by Vantras

The market is littered with tons of total garbage (Mortal Online, Darkfall, STO and all the FTP trash like Allods, Runes of Magic etc).

Darkfall is total garbage?  

there goes your credibility with any level headed person thats actually played the game.

you can hate the game for its problems and/or fundamental design flaws, but calling it total garbage......

---------------------------

Corpus Callosum    

---------------------------

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Free realms...

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• Snippet60Snippet60 Member UncommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Snippet60

Rift will have a solid launch. 

Yay for crystal balls!

Yay for fucking beta invites.