Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"Aion is another korean grinder",an accepted lie?

CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

I read this everywhere,and i really can't belive it,i think most of the people that say this haven't even played the game.

I have 1 char at lvl 47,1 at 55,and 3 at 30,and i have never ran out of quests,NEVER,the game is quest based,just like wow.

Yes,the quests are lame (kill 10x,fedEx,etc),but name 1 game without those kind of quests.

The only grind that Aion has is the ap grind for the pvp gear.

No one forces you to get it,and the best gear ingame should be hard to earn.

Yes,Aion is far from a perfect game:

Flight pvp is broken for melee classes.

Huge class balance issues.

Unbalanced factions in all of the NA servers (yet,in Korea all the servers are balanced,why asmos sucked so hard in the NA version?).

Ganking everywhere thanks to ncwest. (Rift nerf in Korea is still on,no lame tests)

AP system totally broken encouraging you to pve for pvp gear.

Too much RNG,i have failed 5 HHoMs before i could get the pants,4 months of pvping against people with better gear and more luck)

Guardians everywhere in the new zones,screwing up end game pvp.

Lag and FPS issues in sieges.

And the list can go on.

But Aion is not a grind,lineage 2 is a grind,this game is a themepark with a quest based leveling system.

Comments

• PyrostasisPyrostasis Member UncommonPosts: 2,293

Then its changed a ton since release.

When I played at release there were massive gaping holes in the quests. 26+ was a nightmare. Tons and Tons of just straight grinding.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Post of the day right here.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207

Perhaps now, but on release, you were better off grinding on mobs non stop than doing useless quests. I could sit in 1 spot and kill 10 mobs in 5min that gave the same amount of exp as running around for 30min.

45-50 was nothing but grinding undead, unless i was in Draupnirs.

So yes, on release Aion was nothing but grind. I'm glad you say they fixed that now, but the game is still a shallow and pointless mess.

• ClerigoClerigo Member UncommonPosts: 400

AION is by far the most grindy game i ever played. The fact that with the new expansion they managed to smooth the grind, increase the drop rate a bit and fix some balance issues, doesnt excuse the fact that i spent 1 year doing nothing more than grind....

But not everything is bad ofc. PVP can be fun if you got a nice PC to handle the FPS in Abyss, if u are in a good server and if u chose  the right class to play. I do miss my chanter.

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

I have to comment on this thread.. Aion has since release, upped XP from quest rewards, upped drops from mobs (actually to much IMHO) Which has helped somewhat in helping people to level faster since everyone these days seem to think its a race to the top.

However what is it that people really define as Grind? Thru my early and Mid 30s I ran Fire temple probably 40 times... The xp was good, made good money *kinah* while doing it, and got my Kromedes Warhammer.

The game is littered with way to many go out and kill quests. I think alot may think of these as grindy.. Personally I think its the requirement of running back and forth to turn in the numerous amounts of quests that make it seem Grindy.

Back in the days of EQ1 people hung out for hours just killing mobs. For xp and fun. It really wasnt Grindy it was just social hunting. In Aion 99% of the go out and kill quest are meant to be solo or maybe duo quests... Which gets rid of the social aspect.

Aion has improved since launch if you believe faster leveling is an improvement. What it has not improved on is the over abundence of back and forth running to turn in  unimportant and uninteresting quests  to speed up that leveling.

I for one love the group dynamics that Aion has in it. It in alot of ways while grouping in elite areas reminds me of EQ1 in the way the classes work. I think that  is my main appeal to the game. I enjoy a good group and Aion has done a good job of making grouping fun which to me ends the grind. I could enter an outside dungeon elite area and just kill mobs for hours and never do a single quest and be happy. Unfortunately most people want to get their quests finished and go off to get the next one many times leaving the groups in the process.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

there was a few lvls (launch client) where you did all your quest and would be 50% short of your next lvl up.  But still I have played games that had far more grind than aion did.  Gear grind sucked also but that can be said for any game.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Whatever Aion is now is not near what is was at launch. At launch when you hit level 22 you were out of quests until lvl 25 where you did that one instance over and over until 29 where you had a few quest but not many until the next instance. Aion WAS a grind, but most of these people like the guy a few post above me who said "Aion is the worst grind I have ever seen" people like him are just whiney cry babies who obviously never played Everquest or Final Fantasy XI which both are waaaay more grind oriented than Aion.

Mystery Bounty

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Originally posted by Clerigo

AION is by far the most grindy game i ever played. The fact that with the new expansion they managed to smooth the grind, increase the drop rate a bit and fix some balance issues, doesnt excuse the fact that i spent 1 year doing nothing more than grind....

But not everything is bad ofc. PVP can be fun if you got a nice PC to handle the FPS in Abyss, if u are in a good server and if u chose  the right class to play. I do miss my chanter.

This is the post, if this is the "most grindy" game he has played he has probably only played WoW and maybe a couple of easy games, but original MMOs used to just be grinds, it isnt a bad thing, it used to be a good thing because when you got max level people knew who you were, they wanted your help, or just wanted to admire your stats haha. Now if you hit max level on any game and say in chat "DING! Max level woot!" than you get a few "gratz" but alot of "good for you?"

Mystery Bounty

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557

Originally posted by MysteryB

Whatever Aion is now is not near what is was at launch. At launch when you hit level 22 you were out of quests until lvl 25 where you did that one instance over and over until 29 where you had a few quest but not many until the next instance. Aion WAS a grind, but most of these people like the guy a few post above me who said "Aion is the worst grind I have ever seen" people like him are just whiney cry babies who obviously never played Everquest or Final Fantasy XI which both are waaaay more grind oriented than Aion.

I never ran out of quests... funny how not skipping a lot of the content can do.

My highest lvl Character was my lvl 36 cleric &, like I said, I wasn't seeing any lack of quest ahead of me. Granted, maybe quests were getting thin in the 40's... idk I didn't get there, the bots & kinah sellers drove me out before then.

I agree with everything else you said. :)

This game faults was not in grinding or questing, it was in the ridiculously low drop rate on the good stuff, the rampant botting & kinah sellers( because it screwed up crafting & anything related to gear enhencement due to an out of control inflation) & the rifting system. ( I know the game was design to be part PvP, but rifting is just a bad idea imo ) 

• Lathander81Lathander81 Member Posts: 611

The game is definitly a differeny expericence from when it first came out. I thing for the most part the grind is gone from leveling. However, if you want the gear the quests you will have to grind a bit. Even this you can skip due to the increased drop rate in the game now. Overall, the game is not as easy to level as WOW but way better than EQ/Lineage experience.

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

Acquiring end game gear requires one of 2 things, do instances(for PvE gear) or do pvp / get AP gear.  The method of doing this and the time involvment is no different then how its done in WOW and many other games.  In WOW you raid and do instances for gear over and over.  In WOW you do BG's over and over for honor points you save to get PvP gear.  That is exactly how it works in Aion.  If anyone wants to complain that gearing in Aion is a grind, its a grind in WOW then...end of story.