Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars, English, German And French servers poll

Gazz41Gazz41 Member Posts: 15
I just love this game, but one small issue with it.

I have no problem with playing with people from other countries, but do not speak any other language. I find it a bit frustrating when u enter a city and havent a clue wot alot of players are on about.

I was wondering if it was possible that arena.net could look at the possibilty of creating, French, German and Emglish servers for a better community ?

I think alot of people would appreciate you doing something like this.

Wot do you all think, No fanboys please, I'm not interested if you don't like the game.

Comments

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Instead of creating servers, they should create differents tools.

The idea is not to exclude the minority, it is to allow them easier options to groups with folks of their minority.

Tools are better also because you dont have to limit yourself to a few languages, you can easily throw 30 languages for far less efforts then building servers.

The idea behind tools is to encourage and help folks who cant really write in english.  If you make a french server, odds are I will play on the english server, simply because any mistake the game make on the french grammar is unacceptable and I will trash it and lose interest fast...not to mention that my maturity level in french is much more developped then in english, which mean that silly little games are far less interesting...yet, when it come to talking and expressing elaborated ideas, despite my crude look, I always rethink once everything in english, in french, more mature and less rethinking = easy to be scornfull/hurtfull without even realizing it.

But yes, folks who want to do everything in a foreign language should have the tools to.  And have no doubts, I prefer to group with frenchies myself when possible...however at 3:00 AM NYC time, odds are that the amount of frenchies online is quite limited, kiddos unable to play in english play much earlier.  And foreign languages are always welcome as far as I am concerned, althought it fun to start talking in french when I understand nada.  image  Some kids also like to ''show off'' they can talk in another language for the fun of it(frenchie kids like to use OOC or SHOUT a lot in EQ and say a few lines in french...and if you understand them half in french and half in english, they are happy...no harm done to anyone there, and if to make someone happy it is that simple, sure thing)

You need to broaden your visions and accept it when you dont understand foreigners, they are NOT talking about you, dont paranoid, they are just enjoying the game and maybe they are a little cultural exhibitionnist, which should not be fight, but simply smiled warmly upon(dont encourage them however, let them bored by themselves, and if they dont, just shrug and hug them when you walk by).

In about 70% of the time I group with RL friends, non-french speakers are simply avoided...as long as 1 RL friend dont feel at ease in english, we dont group english speakers...me I really dont mind, in fact, most of the time I meet new frenchies I do because they betray themselves and to most frenchies, they dont recognize my frenchie nature...because all my mixting is simply how the french language work.  Unless I write a lot, most peoples dont even suppose I aint english speaker.  A french server would mean I would possibly not play on the regulars servers, and so with many others friends...because if 1 of my RL friend play on a frenchie server, the pull is strong, RL outmatch every other concerns for the server...however, for some reasons, those RL friends who dont speak much english like to solo and just dont care about which server to play on, since if they are not grouped with others RL friends, they wont be grouped at all(no matter how much group enforcing the game is, they will leave before they group strangers).  If the 12 years old kid of a RL friend is playing on the french server because he dont speak english, we may very well be all playing there...or not(and 12 years old kids make wonderfull raiders, they may lack a little on the hours availability, but they never argue, they always obey, they are always available if online, which bring them quite some insane rewards for the amount of time invested hehe)

Lastly, are you sure you want to send all those crazy Canooks feed the ''France server''?  They play at differents hours, and since I play late(sometimes they think I am Japanese when they based it only on my logging hour), you are sure that you want to make feel I play on empty servers even more?  Messing with the Californian servers is fun, peoples are online...or Asian...hehe.  Also, having the server been in english, you encourage those minorities to learn some basics of english...of course it is not going to make them ever have a perfect english with this only...but anything to spread knowledge is good...it also help with the minorities languages, since if wife wanna learn French, she can just set the french tools and try hard, I know from experience that all the minorities are extremely friendly and cooperative when it come to talk in their language(you have a few anal grammar nazis of course, but they are minority and someone like me is such a grammar nazis only with devs and peoples working, with peoples on their free times(Guides included), I am extremely nice).  Any english I speak today is because of my love of gaming and the fact the sources where in english...cant care less what teachers or jobs opportunities were.

In the case of a game working with servers, the ideas can be good, but in a game like GW, dont split in servers, give tools for peoples to regroup easily, but dont try to split peoples artificially because a little minority is xenophobic.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• HarelinHarelin Member UncommonPosts: 409

Well, you seem to be overlooking the instancing factor. Because you're in the UK, you've been grouped with most other foreigners... this is a technicality and they could do with expanding the instance options. But the reason you're running into so many foreign speakers is the fact Americans are all grouped on their own cluster of instances and the only way to meet you is to go to one of the international instances.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Originally posted by Gazz41

I just love this game, but one small issue with it.

I have no problem with playing with people from other countries, but do not speak any other language.I find it a bit frustrating when u enter a city and havent a clue wot alot of players are on about.

Now isn't that the problem?image

Why would you want to segerate countries in the server just becuase you don't have a clue what they are talking aobut? I bet they feel the same way too. Hey, if you don't understand their language, don't worry about what they are talking about. Plain and simple buddy.

Here is my advice: Read what you can read, but don't read what you can't read, unless you want to learn how to read what language you can't read, but see. image

BTW, you can always ask if they speak english too. I played games with the japanese, koreans, dutch, german, philipinos, austrailans, brizilans, and chinese. You got to deal with it.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• KMar_SoldierKMar_Soldier Member Posts: 41
    No reason to devide the game in different servers for people speaking different languages. As already said above, read what you can read, don't try to read what you can't read, or ask them if they speak your language. You might find it annoying, but I'm sure a lot of other people find it interesting. I'm highly interested in (learning) foreign languages, and I bet there are quite some more ppl who share my thought. As Rikimaru said, you got to deal with it...

::Semper Paratus Pro Justitia::

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

One of the better, and lesser-trumpeted features of Guild Wars is that everyone is in the same world together. Breaking them apart into different servers bound to languages would be a step backward. It would, however, seem to be a good idea to break apart the instancing of cities to allow for same-language citizens to enjoy their efforts together.

• _myko_myko Member Posts: 333

i think it adds to the atmosphere, makes the cities seem truly multicultural. You don't have to group with them, and I don't think it's impolite to ask for english-speaking groups. Even better is when you do join a non-english speaking group and try to make sense of the scribbles they make on the map :) good fun...

---sig---

PvE in general is pretty lame, if you think long and hard about it. You are spending your time beating a severely gimped AI that would lose to a well trained monkey. Best not to think too long and hard why you are wasting time playing games in general actually...