Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Region Separation?

Alright, so, I don't know if this was asked before or even mentioned, but I did a search for it and nothing.

Is there anything on if this game will be region separated? I live in the USA, friend lives in the UK. I know for Starcraft 2, we can't play with each other since he'd be picking between friends in real life and just playing with a few of us in the US, but I'm hoping SwTor will be region free so that we're all able to play together. It's a hope, at least.

TL:DR - Will it be region separated?

Comments

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

I"M coming up with nothing. Sorry.  Will get back to you on it soon as i know. Unless one of the other information gurus know the answer to this.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• JathJath Member Posts: 45

It's all good. I've been coming up with nothing myself. I checked their site, did google searches, etc. I can't find anything on it. I might post on their forums, see if they know anything.

Thanks for trying.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

They said NO and TIRION rift finally gave me hope , that maybe NA and europe can again play with one and other .

With a latency differency of 100-200 plus maximum .

Seems if one company can do it , others can do it too , payment is not such big problem anymore.

Since CC companies in Europe and US can be tied easily .

Tax laws are different too nowadays , trough third parties .

So in there forums they are going for a world wide server (well so far europe australia and N/A are targeted ) but since they offer confirmed the digital download version on EA online , you can easily download in Japan and South Korea .

(since they have the same net infrastructure) just dont expect to be playing on European server without huge latency .

From South Korea , the hubs numbers to get connected are too huge .

Edited = for yes redited for no  , that was there original goal statement in the FAQ .

again for NO to your orginal question , it wont be region seperated .

Drake can i get a link? it's not that i don't believe you, it's so i know where to look incase this question gets asked again.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

I am lookin FAQ , but it got removed :(

Thats why , but i had a discussion about this a while back .

Thinking it was not possible cause of lag issues .

I am trying to find the info again on SWTOR boards :)

Hold on .

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=124256&highlight=region+seperation

Here seems more people answered the same , but they updated the FAQ , so i am not sure now .

It depends on how RIFT pulls off the latency .

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=235636&highlight=digital+download+confirmed

Here is the official digital download confirmed .

Let me search come more cause i do know about the wordwide server , that it was on the original planning .

And wont be removed without letting huge numbers of bioware fan know .

(one of the selling features of the product and important issue for me , that i can rejoin my N/A fellow players after 6 years)

Thanks for those links. Much appreciated.

Sorry i think they changed there minds , cause european region customers seem big enough .

I will poke around to ask , if they are going back on that idea .

Cause it does mean a big deal to some players to be finally able to be reunited with the Oceanic counter part .

So far i have to say not known about the server yet .

:( sorry to dissapoint original OP , but it was there on FAQ till shortwhile ago .

Here you go 4:35-5:00 on the interview , seems they are not 100% sure anymore.

The original concept is still on the paper , about a world server .

But they are now not promising anything , cause maybe not playable cause of lag .

It still has not been scrapped so thats good .

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

They can do one big logical server if they want to, you can pop up new instances of areas all day long and put them on separate servers, I also think the game engine has dynamic instancing as a selling point, so it should be good at it.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

My understanding is that the servers will be split up by region as is done in other games. I think this is the case especially since the game will be in different languages for different regions (even for voiceovers).

As for Neloth's one giant server idea: I sincerely hope there is no invisible instancing of zones like you find in games like Age of Conan. Games like that simply kill immersion for me.

Everything they've said so far has led me to believe it would not be like that... I hope they don't change their minds.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Does it really matter, I play on US servers for nearly all mmo's you just need a US copy of the game at worst. The only time you get any real issues is when there are different publishers for different areas involved.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

No I brought that issue up a while ago with them , cause i tought it was impossible for European countries aside from certain countries (netherlands germany scandinavian countries those with high speed viber optic connections )

To play with WEST COAST people , (east coast is more then possible cause 100-150 MS lag only , in Netherlands case it was only 75 ms lag)

But since Tirion has there rift server in dallas (again high viber optic connection , and amsterdam )

Lets see how they pull off the world server , if they are able to pull it off succefully , without people going back to localised servers.

Then something BIOWARE easily can match , cause EA sure has enough subdiaries everywhere .