Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First impression

BelgueBelgue Member UncommonPosts: 46

Hello, let me first state that I found this game in this site 4 days ago (friday 26) on the top of the game list, then I went to research a bit and decide I would give it a try.

I visited the official website, download the game, and when I was going to use my credit card I found out that they only accept Paypal, well... I know paypal but have never used it, lets create an account then, took 2 days to active it and finally yesterday (monday) I could try the game. The overall felling was that the transaction was really safe, much more than the other games.

Before let me tell you my background, I got almost 10 years of MMOs, EQ1, EQ2, AoC, Aion, Lotro, War and lately Lol. I once did the 10 trial for Eve, but I moved to another game.

So, I create my avatar, nothing new here besides took me 2 min to find the advance button, select the alligments and coorps of my toon, had no idea of what I was doing, just going by a reference on the impact of military X sciency X diplomacy graph on the botton of the screen.

Press enter the game .... No movie intro or any RP reference and I was inside the game, not that I really care for RP. Got the tutorial, well done for movement, attack and mining, then I was left alone  (...) had to use the help chat to move on. So I was supose to enter the terminal by using the enter button and get the tasks, the tutorial never said a word about it, but once you do a couple of tasks you get the idea of the game.

My overall impression from a 5 hour game section is that the game is hard, I mean, really hard to learn, any new player will suffer and I bet will quit, the hardcores will stay together with all Eve vets. Beside being hard I got the felling that its complex game, good point, and has lots of options and paths to be follow.

The chat channel is very active and helpfull, the graphic is really nice, as well the sound. There is not a main arc quest to follow, neither NPC telling where you should go. There are a lot of buttons that I still have no idea what they are, like refinary and others.

Well.. for now is this.. I will try to write more during this week.

Comments

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Looking forward to your follow up.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681

too bad they half ass ripped off mechwarrior, they have gaus cannons regular cannons machine guns lasers and missiles, but you dont aim and fire

also they forgot the ppc lightning weapons

they forgot anti missiles near as i can tell from the game guide

no jump jets

honestly, how dare you make a mech game, and slap on eve lock/auto fire

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by neorandom
    too bad they half ass ripped off mechwarrior, they have gaus cannons regular cannons machine guns lasers and missiles, but you dont aim and fire

also they forgot the ppc lightning weapons

they forgot anti missiles near as i can tell from the game guide

no jump jets

honestly, how dare you make a mech game, and slap on eve lock/auto fire

It's not a MechWarrior game. MechWarrior combat would have been pretty awesome though.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BigCountryBigCountry Member Posts: 478

Here is a concise process for your first few sessions in Perpetuum to enable you to progress as fast as possible.

1) Open and Arrange all the basic windows of the User Interface:

Scanner, Targeting Computer, Robot Status, Landmarks, Modules, Landmark Info, Radar

2) Highlight Unpassable Terrain:

Press L to ensure unclimbable areas are highlighted in white on your screen.  Right click Radar, choose map type-unpassable terrain.

Now you can see where you can and cannot walk by zooming in the Radar.

3) Get to the Alpha Terminal to start your Training missions:

Every starter island has an Alpha Terminal.  It is the square on your radar.

Think of it as your multipurpose base to find missions at, to buy things, to fit your robot (right click robot and equip), to store things and to do industry at.

Head there and dock, click assignments and do the training missions.

4) Complete all 10 Training missions, get a Light Robot:

The Training Missions teach you the basics and give you an Arkhe Mk2 at the 4th mission and a light robot (Yagel/Castel/Prometheus) at the 10th.

Therefore, it is a bad idea to skip these missions.

5) Join a good corp, go for Assault Robot:

It is hard progressing solo in Perpetuum so consider joining a good corp with teamwork.

A great first goal is an Assault Robot (Arbalest/Baphomet/Waspish), Argano/Termis for mining or Laird/Gargoyle for harvesting or Sequer for hauling.

Your corp should be able to help you get that so you can progress faster in the game.

BigCountry | Head Hunters | www.wefarmpeople.com

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

It is a complex game, but once you start putting your hours into it, everything just starts piecing together. It does have a learning curve and I am still learning myself.

Anyways, I joined up with a great corp in game and now having a different experience all together with Perpetuum.

I know most players like to play solo, however I can tell you this, you wont get the full experience of the game unless you join a corp.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/forum/53/recruitment-forum/

• emotaemota Member UncommonPosts: 413

Originally posted by HiGHPLAiNS

It is a complex game, but once you start putting your hours into it, everything just starts piecing together. It does have a learning curve and I am still learning myself.

Anyways, I joined up with a great corp in game and now having a different experience all together with Perpetuum.

I know most players like to play solo, however I can tell you this, you wont get the full experience of the game unless you join a corp.

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/forum/53/recruitment-forum/

This!

• luckypotatoluckypotato Member Posts: 251

OMG.. could this be??

When i read this first impressions, i couldnt help but to think of RuneScape. Atleast, the old RuneScape, when there was full loot PVP and open trade.

Tutorial.. Nonlinear Sandbox.. Highly customizable.. Huge learning curve.. Loot PVP..

It sounds like it was modeled after the old RuneScape. Which is GOOD! It was my first, and favorite MMORPG, until they nerfed the hell out of the game.

Anybody else here who used to play RS know what im saying? God.. how i miss the golden days of RS..

• BelgueBelgue Member UncommonPosts: 46

OP here.. so here is the impression of the second day:

This time when logged in I knew what I was going for, I had learnt offline that I was suppose to research the drones that drop off from npcs I have killed, the first day I just sold it on the market. With this info I change my plan of character development, because you cannot built anything without it, so you have to be first a fighter to get it, or buy them from the market, to be able to build something.

So, I went to farm them ... got a military task as well.. so the killing has another meaning too. When I got to the camp there were like 4 other bots waiting to the NPCs to pop and kill. To kill something in this game you have to lock the target so you can shot it down. So... in 10 min there I didnt get a kill, the other guys could lock the target faster, so I went back to terminal to purchase the advancements to lock faster. After this I could get kills, and complete a serie of 6 tasks, that the main point is to increase your reputation.

After the fighting, I decide to invest a time on mining, I got a task related to what I was going to mining and I went outside. I couldnt mining for long, I had too much rap on my cargo (inventory), so I went back to the terminal and I changed all my bot to be a mining one. So I just took out all the accessories of military use and put stuffs for mining, you dont lose anything on this change, you just save the equipments on the base.

The second mining section was better, could get more stuff, then the night was over... aahh I join a corporation (guild), nothing spetacular, havent took part on any corp activity yet.

• BoyCBoyC Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by leowolff

This time when logged in I knew what I was going for, I had learnt offline that I was suppose to research the drones that drop off from npcs I have killed, the first day I just sold it on the market. With this info I change my plan of character development, because you cannot built anything without it, so you have to be first a fighter to get it, or buy them from the market, to be able to build something.

Actually you can build stuff without researching the kernels by buying it from the market and reverse engineering it. Might save you some time too, but for high end items you'll need prototypes yeah.

• it'll be more efficient to specialize in one area of operation, though there is really nothing stopping you from being a jack-of-all-trades. It's a very team-based play in my opinion, though you may not visibly see your corp members working together in-game all the time.

Take those kernels, for example. If you are a military type character, your corp might ask you to help farm the kernels. Then, you pass the kernels to an industry player, who may focus on prototyping and reverse engineering. The blueprints (called CTs) then get passed on to another who specializes in mass production. Of course, there will be the miners and harvesters to help supply him with the tonnes of materials that he needs. Then, the new modules produced will be made available to corp members. If it's new weapons technology, then you may get more pew pew =D

So the team work isn't always immediately visible, neither are the fruits of it. You may wonder what becomes of those kernels initially, only to find large stocks of stuff in your corp hangar a couple of days later. And needless to say, this is just a simplified example where everything falls into place. This process doesn't just happen. The corp will need leaders who are able to manage corp resources wisely.

• BelgueBelgue Member UncommonPosts: 46

OP here... I am not resubbing another month.

The fact is that the game is not fun, the risky X reward isnt in place, no motivation to explore or run harder quests, lots of low level quests that can be exploit because they give too much, nobody runs high level quests, nobody goes to pvp island because of no rewarding of doing so, I dont see the amount of players risisng but instead declining a bit.

But I have to say they got one of the best support and devs interaction from all the games I have ever played.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

The fact is that the game is not fun, the risky X reward isnt in place, no motivation to explore or run harder quests, lots of low level quests that can be exploit because they give too much, nobody runs high level quests, nobody goes to pvp island because of no rewarding of doing so, I dont see the amount of players risisng but instead declining a bit.

Unfortunately risk vs reward is in place and it is a reason for unpopulated beta islands.

Just another example how this concept does not work...

• smartpatrolsmartpatrol Member Posts: 9

Originally posted by Gdemami

Unfortunately risk vs reward is in place and it is a reason for unpopulated beta islands.

Just another example how this concept does not work...

Spoken like a true WoW player a game that is so dumbed down no risk exists at all. Fact is i have never had as much fun with any of the current mmo's as i did with the original Everquest where dying was a very huge drag! Death was such a downer that it forced everyone to be better players and know their class(a foreign concept to todays players). Let hope developer go back to good game design rather then the latest quick buck type pieces of trash that have been released(Perpetuum not being one of them)