Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why has this game not gotten that much attention?

2»

Comments

• kabal.yerokabal.yero Member UncommonPosts: 29

Just started playing yesterday after fixing a huge problem with the game not loading and freezing my computer.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I was excited about the game.WAS.I started to take one of the training school tutorials...and my eyes glazed over and I could not bring myself to even play the game.WAY too much information jammed into too short a time period,Certainly was a way to create a bad impression on me.

You can skip the tutorials, you know.  But you may well end up completely lost if you do.

• stormridersstormriders Member Posts: 35

Not All F2P games are garbage. A good example is Final Fantasy 14. Its P2P game, now they are turning it into a F2P because it failed.

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

Originally posted by stormriders

Not All F2P games are garbage. A good example is Final Fantasy 14. Its P2P game, now they are turning it into a F2P because it failed.

Yeah, you have 2 types of F2P games: garbage and failures.

• LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

UWO is indeed a mixed bag: there's a rather good and deep core-gameplay in this game, but it's hidden behind poor polish, F2P mediocrity, alien art style and poor adaption to western markets.

If you can live with the restrictions you find an interesting "sandboxy" virtual world. If poor polish is something you cannot stand you'd better be advised to leave UWO alone. If you like a themeparky game with a string of quests to guide you along the way - well, no such thing in UWO.

Personally I'm pleasantly surprised.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

• jihashijihashi Member Posts: 136

Rest assured I will be getting to the heart of that matter today. Just keep an eye out for my review within the next couple of days.

Well, I'm back sooner than expected. I will begin by saying that I can see where I can see why people would say the tutorial is to long. However, that's no reason to hate on the game in general. It was filled with alot of useful information, and very well put together at that. Granted, it does take awhile as there is alot of information to go through, and there's a great deal of traveling in between. As far as that goes. Unless you have the attention span of a retarded monkey with ADD, hopped up on Red Bull, and on crack. This game wouldn't be for you. If your looking to be spoon fed your quests and be told where everything is on the high sees, not for you either. I myself had a great deal of fun with it. Granted, the battles are not nearly as exciteing or as involved as some pirate MMO's as far as the sea ones go, it makes up for it when your adventuring on land. Plus, you get levels for every little thing you do. Wether it's sailing your ship, engaging in battles with enemy pirates, trading in stolen merchandise, or just digging for treasure. The game has few bugs, and if there are any. I didn't come across any. The animations were fluid when you set it to a setting that your video card can handle. There was relatively little to no lag at all. I will say that my favorite was the opening. The video on that was stunning to say the least.

It's not to say that it's for everyone, but there's no reason to avoid it just the same. It's challenging to say the least. Plus, you do get player housing. Which means the more adventures you go on, the more booty you plunder, the richer you can live. However, you do have to take care when it comes to managing your ship and crew. To much of one thing and not enough of another can quickly lead to disaster, as the days out to sea go by alot faster than one realizes.

As far as the so called asian flavor to the game. If giving it that label means that the characters don't look toony, the towns and ships look authentic as they can get. Then give me that any day of the week.

So there it is, my findings in a nutshell. Though I will reiterate it since there is a good chance that someone out there with a short attention span is reading this responce. Unless your a retarded monkey with ADD hopped up on Red Bull and on crack, there's no real reason to say this game is frustrating or boreing.

If they cut down the tutorials to make them shorter, then they'd have to chop out information.  That would be a problem for people who do want a thorough tutorial.

The basic principle is that when a tutorial is written, the target audience should be people who want to go through a tutorial and learn the game that way.  It shouldn't be people who don't like tutorials and would just as soon skip it.  Give them the option to skip it.

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461

Most people on "THIS" forum will not even consider it because it is F2P..

Damn if it actually IS a pretty decent game..

Originally posted by Quizzical

If they cut down the tutorials to make them shorter, then they'd have to chop out information.  That would be a problem for people who do want a thorough tutorial.

The basic principle is that when a tutorial is written, the target audience should be people who want to go through a tutorial and learn the game that way.  It shouldn't be people who don't like tutorials and would just as soon skip it.  Give them the option to skip it.

They do have an option for you to skip the tutorial. But many don't take the time to notice this. Let alone read what they're doing as they're playing. Hence why I commented about the retarded monkey with ADD hopped up on Red Bull and on crack. I myself just chose to take all three tutorials for all three classes. Granted, it took me the better part of the day, but at least I understood it better in the end.

Originally posted by Vyeth

Most people on "THIS" forum will not even consider it because it is F2P..

Damn if it actually IS a pretty decent game..

In my opinion, it is a decent F2P in regards to the design style. I myself like something that is visually stimulateing, if not at least accurate to a time period if it's supposed to be based off of any sort of historical elements. As a privateer (polite word for pirate) you can choose which flag to sail under. While there is no onscreen quest tracking. That doesn't mean that there is no quest log. So you can either rely on that, or use your noodle to remember your quests. Also, you can't see where the objective is on the world map and the minimap. But, they always tell you near which town and in what general direction your object is. Finding it is no trouble at all.

Originally posted by jihashi

Originally posted by Quizzical

They do have an option for you to skip the tutorial. But many don't take the time to notice this. Let alone read what they're doing as they're playing. Hence why I commented about the retarded monkey with ADD hopped up on Red Bull and on crack. I myself just chose to take all three tutorials for all three classes. Granted, it took me the better part of the day, but at least I understood it better in the end.

Yes, I know that they can skip it.  I guess I can see from my post that I didn't say that.  But my point is that the content of the tutorial itself should be designed for people who will do the tutorial, and not for the people who will skip it regardless of what is there.  That is, my point is that they've got the right approach to the tutorials.

I did the beginner tutorials in the beta.  They did take a while, but there was a lot of information there that one wouldn't have randomly guessed otherwise--even if one was familiar with the console games.  The console game had a lengthy tutorial as well, and for the same reasons.  I'll be back to play the game properly eventually, but for now, I'm still busy with Champions Online.

Maybe they should advertise that it's a Koei game?  Or even Tecmo-Koei, though it doesn't exactly play much like Tecmo Super Bowl or Ninja Gaiden.  Or would the usual Koei fans already know of this game and not need the advertisement?  Personally, I was rather excited to see the first ads for this game appear on this site, as it meant they were finally translating the game into English.  I wanted to play the game five years ago.

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

The schooling I think does need some trimming however undergoing the chool as it is gives out lots of rewards, experience, and fame. Its like getting paid to study...

• WeissCrossWeissCross Member Posts: 8

Hmm, an't say anything yet about this game, i just saw tjos today and it looks great to me. I've also heard that this was originally a console game. Then let's see on what could it offer to us. :)

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

Tried this recently, and was totally turned off by some of the AWFUL artwork (characters in particular). I was looking for something different, and a few days after I initially tried it, i found myself thinking about it again. I have been steadily playing more and more over the last few weeks, and now I can't wait to play it again after a session. There is something quite charming about it, and it truly is a very deep game. It's difficult to get into, but you get out of it what you put into it. A real slow-burner.

• bamdorfbamdorf Member UncommonPosts: 150

Tried this today, rolled a merchant intent on being a purely peaceful money maker, did the tutorials, pretty much thought I had stuff figured out and could just make ducats forever.

Then I was strolling down the western coast of Italy and encountered Barbary Pirates.    Ambush.    Hmmm, this game is not friendly to the overconfident type.   Ouch.   I escaped, but probably would have done better to surrender and die.   Yep, prolly needed to learn some combat and upgrade my dinghy, LOL.   

I have to say that it is the ability to figure out ways to do stuff on your own...sandbox style...that has always been the most fun to me.  (Some games that appear to be theme park actually still have this quality). And having the game be deep enough and dangerous enough that you can squashed badly is a good thing, though I didn't enjoy having my team go all scurvy, run out of food, drift into Naples, and aquire so much fatigue I don't know if I can recover....but nevertheless the possibility of this happening helps create a good atmosphere. 

Not for the faint of heart.   I don't know, maybe more play will show up its shortcomings.    But there is a game in there, something that reminds me of Sid Meier's Pirates while still being an MMO.    Not so much PotBS, for some reason.   And hey, I LIKE the pace of the game.  The long, slow tutorials are a good thing, for this game.    Relax and breathe in, breathe out.

Your mileage will vary, as always.

---------------------------
    Rose-lipped maidens,
    Light-foot lads...