Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why Warhammer 40K Dark Millenium will be best MMO ever

2»

Comments

• darkboazdarkboaz Member UncommonPosts: 160

Originally posted by deniter

I would remind you guys that even in a table-top wh40k there's only 2 races fighting each others in standard missions. While the rules would allow alliances there's still many restrictions for unit types. How would you turn this to an MMO? My friends joined SM army against chaos but I can't coz I rolled a farseer?  

I would remind you in table top you may have Ork vrs Ork , Marine vrs Guard extra. I think your thinking about it the right way but from the wrong angle in that we may be able to make sense of two sides but who is on a side cannot be faction based.

• RomseRomse Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Hyperfish

'Strategy Informer: I assume you're going to divide up the playable races by factions? They only thing is, apart from ones like Imperial guard and Space Marines who can stick together, not all of the other races fit neatly into 'factions'. The Eldar, the Tau, the Necrons, Tyranids Chaos... had to generalise them. Are you going to try sticking with the traditional two factions or branch out to more? 

Tim Campbell: We're going to have two overall factions in the game, and all of the playable races are going to fit into one or the other. 

There are compelling reasons why that works in this situation and our game, and Games Workshops are completely on board with it so we're not doing anything that violates the IP or the fiction – the details though will be revealed in the near future. '

The underlined part agravates me to no end.

I seriously do not care that GW decides Orks are not best buddies with Chaos... GW has become a money grabbing whore.

COMPELLING REASONS??? Sorry but they are basically saying that there's gonna be some kind of 2 -sided divisive struggle for power over something so incredibly crucial that all the races in the universe would find themselves compelled to one side or the other... than everyone is gonna send ridiculously small portions of their forces to the ass end of the universe to battle out over this struggle and that this struggle will remain active for the entire duration of the game... YEAH WE GET IT... you're being as unoriginal as everything else before you.

I can't believe they are trying to hype up this bullshit excuse like its a freakin innovation... COMPELLING REASONS MY ASS!

Lemme guess some artifact / portal / golden cherry... is gonna be the key to more warp or less warp... and the Orks, Chaos, Dark Eldar and Tyranids (although not playable... check it out these guys will be mounts) are gonna be gunning for MORE WARP... and the Impirium, Eldar and... Tau? are gonna have a little war council and team up like best buddies to oppose that cause they want LESS WARP... and that this epic struggle is gonna be battled out face to face on a few planets and the fate of the galaxy is gonna be determined by the hot-end of a boltgun

Mystery solved.

But they'll just keep going with their bullshit....

This time it's gonna be different... it's gonna be such a good reason for us to fuckup the IP when you hear it... BRICKS WILL BE SHAT!!!!!

• reploidxreploidx Member UncommonPosts: 320

You know, they are going to have two factions, which is fine because when you look and read WH40k, there are literally 2 FACTIONS Order and Chaos. Now there are tons of races, which fall into each faction. But they havn't said what they did yet, they just said "We have the two factions" and everyone is now gnashing their teeth.

In Warhammer Fantasy, you have Order and Chaos as well, but the real animosity is that dwarfs hate elves, but will tolerate them, and chaos hates and plots against their own, but it was still handled badly.

In Warhammer 40k, we don't know if the space marines can turn around and shoot the eldar, or the Khorne Berzerker World Eater tearing into an Word Bearer Daemon Marine, we can't sit there and assume that everyone just sits there and plays well with each other. All we can do is hope that "Yea, i'm in the Order Faction, and i'm part of the Imperium of Men, but those Eldar showed up, lets go kill them." and not "Man, those Eldar look funny, but i can't kill them because we just can't"

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Shoju

Those that fail to learn from history, are doomed to repeat it. - Winston Churchill

^ This.

How many times do fanbois have to get burned from they hype machine before they learn?

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• UnicornicusUnicornicus Member Posts: 235

Its sooo funny to listen to all of the people who says that having alliances will break the lore and that it will fail because it will be like WAR. You literally have no clue what you are talking about. I have played warhammer 40k since 1986 and there have been plenty of examples of ALLIANCES in the world, both on the tabletop and in the extended Lore. To say that races would never align for self preservation or becuase one race is manipulating the other is just flat absurd: it has happened numerous times in the lore and will continue to happen in the lore. Its typical of newcommers to the warhammer 40K lore to think this "OH NO THEY CANT TRUCE IT BREAK LORE LOL" nonsense is the case in the extended lore, but the fact remains tha alliances are common in the history of the 40k. Do the research, get over yourself and get used to it. You dont have to play the game, but to say it will fail becuase it breaks the lore before you even have a clue of how the game will work is totally ridiculous. But I guess thats what the internet is for right? to say ridiculous things?

I personally dont even think the races will be fighting directly side by side, but will have an agreement to fight thier common enemy to ensure thier survival. Only time will tell and I am cautiously optimistic.

As a point however, I will say this... if there is even a single situation that allows, say an eldar, to jump into a rhino to hitch a ride with black templar space marines or a space marine hops into a wave serpent or something like that... all bets are off because that would be totally asinine. I sincerely do not believe that will be the case however.

• insanexinsanex Member Posts: 145

Y'know, the issue with tabletop/dice-based RPG and adventure games being represented in MMO form implies a certain level of "give" in terms of the lore. Just as when light energy is translated to electrical energy in a fiber optic transceiver, there is loss. It's part of converting the content of one medium to another. Tabletop board games like W40k are in a completely different market than computer-based MMORPGs. There are different hoops to jump through, different requirements in software and hardware, and of course wildy different monetary considerations. So there will be differences, be they slight or significant. The world of W40k is far-reaching in lore and thus gives the developers, story writers, artists, and other creative staff the ability to move quite freely without hitting any solid walls. I think we will see some creative freedom exercised in the W40k MMO. It will be different from lore in some parts, sight unseen, I can assure you. But the aforementioned "shoe-horning" works both ways. An MMO could be so severely crippled with minute details in an effort to follow the lore that the dev cycle is stretched beyond what the VCs are willing to accept, or in worst case, it never comes out at all. We've seen things like this previously. There is the inevitable comparison with World of Warcraft here, but I would encourage you to look at the differences between the manner in which lore was written for each game. Warcraft was never a set-top game like W40k. Warcraft's lore was essentially written through the games themselves. W40k is much more ambitious. So I look forward to the chance to engage in MMO-style gameplay within the W40k world, even if the lore meter isn't an exact match with the board game. 

Truth is, though, none of us truly know much of anything. And interviews do not translate to definite software features. if you don't know that by now, you need to do some research on computer games in general.

insanex

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

...big words from developers without any track record, finished game. Right now you'd yourself a lot of famour by just take it as hype its really nothing more.

boy graphics are looking incredible cartoony :(

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

The Graphics fit the looks of warhammer on t tabletop almost perfectly. As a long time warhammer fan I support this!

InsaneX. Well said, but of course, Time will tell wther they step up in a way that will please both the Lore mongers and MMO fans. From what I have heard they are on the right track but only time will tell if it is to be or not. Theres a lot of things that can go right or wrong between now and 2013

• mysticalspammysticalspam Member Posts: 64

2013..... come on there is enough time to scrap this and redo the whole thing..... remember this game was started back in 2007 when wow clones were all the rage.

They already did... They said they started off building a traditional style MMO and it just didnt work, so they went with a more action oriented formula that dashes the traditional MMO formula of tank healer dps.

we shall see.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Unicornicus

They already did... They said they started off building a traditional style MMO and it just didnt work, so they went with a more action oriented formula that dashes the traditional MMO formula of tank healer dps.

we shall see.

I like thta part and have no real problem with the lore either.

I do however have a huge problem with levels, they should not exist in the warhammer world.  I believe that they should try to make some new mechanics based on the warhammer ones instead of tweaking the existing ones.