Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well I played it for about a month. Please cycle the transporter and erase the pattern buffer to put

2»

Comments

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Originally posted by Gruug

....especially since J. Emmert is now moved out of the control chair.

Really? That's good news. Source?

I would also be very interested in a link to this news.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• Elox1Elox1 Member Posts: 211

I'm a big fan of Star Trek and my friend was raving about the game telling me we needed to play it.  I played a couple of hours of it and thought, sure this seems fun.  So I ended up buying the 1 year sub.  I think I made it to my Galaxy Class ship before I finally decided I'd rather go play any other game than play the game I had already pre-paid a year for.  

Biggest waste of money and here are my lessons learned:

1) Any game offering life time subs is more than likely doing so because it knows it is light on content and no one will want to stick with it.

2) Stay away from Cryptic games.  Period.

• DinendaeDinendae Member Posts: 1,264

Originally posted by Elox1

I'm a big fan of Star Trek and my friend was raving about the game telling me we needed to play it.  I played a couple of hours of it and thought, sure this seems fun.  So I ended up buying the 1 year sub.  I think I made it to my Galaxy Class ship before I finally decided I'd rather go play any other game than play the game I had already pre-paid a year for.  

Biggest waste of money and here are my lessons learned:

1) Any game offering life time subs is more than likely doing so because it knows it is light on content and no one will want to stick with it.

2) Stay away from Cryptic games.  Period.

I would ammend #1 to read: Any game offering life time subs only before launch, or if the offer reads that way, is more than likely doing so because it knows it is light on content and no one will want to stick with it.

I have a lifetime subscription to LotRO, and I have never regretted it. The trick is to at least check out the game during the free thirty days after it launches, to know what you are getting.

"Oh my, how horrible, someone is criticizing a MMO. Oh yeah, that is what a forum is about, looking at both sides. You rather have to be critical of anything in this genre as of late because the track record of these major studios has just been appalling." -Ozmodan

• FlatoFlato Member Posts: 5

First it seems that  just about anyone who has replied to this post really has never played sto for more then a week or two........Anyways as to the OP it sounds all he ever did was solo missions which i can understand are boring espically ground but honestly ground combat in the stfs in groups is actually very good u need each role provideing there function and its quick intense and fun, although a minority of sto players play the stfs.................

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Flato

First it seems that  just about anyone who has replied to this post really has never played sto for more then a week or two........Anyways as to the OP it sounds all he ever did was solo missions which i can understand are boring espically ground but honestly ground combat in the stfs in groups is actually very good u need each role provideing there function and its quick intense and fun, although a minority of sto players play the stfs.................

Ah the CDF dismissive , " you guys are panning the game because you didn't play it long enough " defence.  This being your second post , you've made an error. You've made some assumptions. 

1 ) The posters are inexperenced as gamers and hate this game.  ( most have played beta and the game up to 30 d )

2 ) The posters have not played this game to end game.

3 ) That we aren't ST fans. ( in fact pretty one everyone will agree that we're sick and tired of hoping for a good ST game , but consistently getting crap the last number of years )

I for myself have extensive PvP experience , both ground and space . I can state emphatically that you couldn't be more wrong. The ground combat is overly simplistic and monotonous , while group competition may intitially be important , once the advantage is gained it boils down to chasing down players as they spawn , at known locations before they can group back together. How's that for fun ?

For the STF's I've run multiple times successfully as far a being Cryptics version of a raid , they fail . They are as far as raids go mediocare to poor. Holding up these as pinnicles of STO's highs is pretty telling. Good luck to you , now please run back to the STO forums.

• JanetsyJanetsy Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by Flato

First, you only need a week to see what STO is all about. In fact, in that amount of time, you will see the repetitive mechanics many, many times. After a week of playing a few hours a day, you will have seen eveything the game has to offer.

Second, you are assuming that the negative reviewers have only spent a week in game. I'm sure some did, but I can assure you that most people here know games, and know what they like. Likewise we know that sometimes games need time for polish to really shine.

Most of us knew this was not the case with STO. This game was designed to be as cheap as possible, while maximizing as many money grab systems it could get away with. It was never about making a good game that ST fans would enjoy. It was about making an easy, eye candy game that would appeal to masses for quick profits.

In any event, I played all thorough closed and open beta, and even after that when I knew the game sucked, I still bought a lifetime because I am a big time ST fan who's been fiending for a good ST game for a loooong time. I was hopeful that that game would be made better at some point. Made more... ya know.. More like ST maybe?

3 weeks after launch I realized I was kidding myself. LTS canceled, and refunded. Haven't played since. Will not ever touch it again. All I have now is the fading hope that STO fails to the point of closure, and maybe in a few years another studio will give it a try.

*crosses fingers*

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823

Originally posted by Janetsy

All I have now is the fading hope that STO fails to the point of closure, and maybe in a few years another studio will give it a try.

*crosses fingers*

I think this is the main reason I still follow the game. The game really has no mechanics that could possibly redeem it. The devs show no interest in anything other then the most simplistic mechanics in all aspects of gameplay. If fact it's purposally designed that way unfortunately.

• JanetsyJanetsy Member Posts: 35

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

I think this is the main reason I still follow the game. The game really has no mechanics that could possibly redeem it. The devs show no interest in anything other then the most simplistic mechanics in all aspects of gameplay. If fact it's purposally designed that way unfortunately.

Agreed... I don't care about the BS weekly missions or whatever new content people talk about. Any new content is still bound by the shoe-box instanced world, with the over and over again environments, useless loots, meaningless PvP, busted ground mechanics, lack of crafting systems, complete joke of exploration ability, and so on...

It's not so much that the content in STO is bad. It may be lacking in the way of amount, but the content is ok. I also have to admit the graphics and sound is awesome quality. It's the design of the game, and the engine that seriously limit the fun factor. In my opinion, CO in space with ST graphics slapped on it just does not work for a Star Trek game.

As you pointed out AG, it was simply made this way on purpose to keep production costs low.

Now there's people who will say: What do you expect? It's a business, and they have to make a profit to keep it going or we have no ST game at all right? Well, yes. I will have to conceed that point to those people.

I just wish they had done so with an IP I didn't care about as much as my beloved Star Trek because I've been waiting since SFC, and I still have no ST game to play. I mean, why couldn't they go make a crappy game for Stargate, or Andromeda? lol...

Well like you Mr. AG-Vuk, and probably many others, I continue to follow STO only in the hopes of it's demise. No offense to those that enjoy the game now, but as  a long time ST fan, STO to me is an insult.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Originally posted by Janetsy

Originally posted by AG-Vuk

Agreed... I don't care about the BS weekly missions or whatever new content people talk about. Any new content is still bound by the shoe-box instanced world, with the over and over again environments, useless loots, meaningless PvP, busted ground mechanics, lack of crafting systems, complete joke of exploration ability, and so on...

It's not so much that the content in STO is bad. It may be lacking in the way of amount, but the content is ok. I also have to admit the graphics and sound is awesome quality. It's the design of the game, and the engine that seriously limit the fun factor. In my opinion, CO in space with ST graphics slapped on it just does not work for a Star Trek game.

As you pointed out AG, it was simply made this way on purpose to keep production costs low.

Now there's people who will say: What do you expect? It's a business, and they have to make a profit to keep it going or we have no ST game at all right? Well, yes. I will have to conceed that point to those people.

I just wish they had done so with an IP I didn't care about as much as my beloved Star Trek because I've been waiting since SFC, and I still have no ST game to play. I mean, why couldn't they go make a crappy game for Stargate, or Andromeda? lol...

Well like you Mr. AG-Vuk, and probably many others, I continue to follow STO only in the hopes of it's demise. No offense to those that enjoy the game now, but as  a long time ST fan, STO to me is an insult.

Well, there's as low cost as possible to make a quality product, and then there is cutting all the corners and cheaping out on "standard MMO features". I'll give you one guess on what we have here....

And Cryptic marketed itself as being able to bring games in on the cheap, with a 18-24 month development cycle. How? By recycling every possible bit of code and game mechanic from CO, whether it was appropriate for a different game (or IP) or not. Missing features? Pah. Cryptic literally took the cheapest and easiest route on everything, with the possible exception of some "celebrity" voice acting to spice up the gruel. And so what.

When you make cheap, cheap and cheap you corporate motto, this is what you get: junk. Quality takes ("enough") time, and time takes money.

Sorry Cryptic, people are no longer dumb enough to buy half a game because someone puts Star Trek on it. (The geniuses that put out FFXIV are learning a similar lesson with the Final Fantasy IP).

Put out crap (especially on a popular IP), and be punished.