Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Vanguard still have a future??

13»

Comments

• HowryHowry Member UncommonPosts: 116

VG had hubs but it had many hubs. Rift is much more limited.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Of course the full breadth and depth of Rift is not known.However I would say there is no comparison with VG.VG is the king of crafting...has an enormous world...a huge mumber of classes...good graphics and a welcoming player base.If you want to leave because the game is unsupported and not evolving..thats understandable.

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

I have returned to Vanguard a few times hoping to see improvements.

There has been some improvement, but only little things. It is still a bugged game, even bugs that were there on release day has not been attended to, although some have.

Vanguard was far from finished on release day and needed a major overhaul and then expansions to follow .. well it is a small world for a MMO. Since the game was bought by SOE, the funding has been shut and Vanguard frozen. There is only one thing that can save Vanguard and that is funding and backup from a game company that beleives in it.

Other than that it is my opinion that Vanguard still is the most inventive and interesting game since Everquest, and still has the potential to become the best PVE MMO since the good ole days. Graphics can still compete with the newest game titles comming out these days, and the combat gameplay is still better and more interesting than any MMO I have tried.

A popular theory is that SOE bought the game and let it die because it competed with one of their own titles.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Nope. Next question!

<3

• kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759

Originally posted by cheyane

How quickly it is forgotten that if not for SOE this game would have died a long time ago.The fact that you can say it is no longer buggy is also thanks to SOE. But no matter what SOE did the subscriptions that were lost as a result of its release in a buggy state were never regained. That is not SOE's fault. So stop trying to blame SOE this is wholly Sigil's fault. A sinking ship cannot be prevented from sinking no matter how many holes you plug.

Before you tell me I am talking from my nether regions I betaed  and played at launch and also after SOE took over and improved it so I have first hand knowledge how bad the game was and how much improvement SOE brought to it. It is amazing how everyone seems to have forgotten the horrible chunking and terrible state this game was. SOE could have just dumped it but they worked on it for months on that shitty code and improved it to a point where I played it and enjoyed it. So no I am not going to stand by while you all pile your recriminations against them because they do not deserve it. SOE gave up because this game was not gaining a population in spite of everything. 

True SOE tried to save Vanguard at first, but shortly after the plug got pulled and since then Vanguard has been frozen.

Also true that Brad and Sigil were initially responsible for the failure, they were just better at game design than development and finances. Fact is they ran out of money and could not deliver. What else happened only the involved parts know.

However, lets put up a little scenario: You have a major title that you invested much in, and this title were loosing customers. You also have another title with a doubtful future, that has the same customer base as your main title ... what would you do ?

So SOE killed Kenny, or never allowed him to live is more correct.

• NikkitaNikkita Member Posts: 790

Originally posted by dreamscaper

Nope. Next question!

I disagree. Vanguard has a very good future if SOE wakes up and makes it free like EQ2.

Bite Me

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Rofl Vangaurd is down to one (1) dev,  and a handfull of moderators/gm's.  It has no fugure.  Semedly has stated he will not pull the plug as long as there are enough folks paying to keep the servers open.  Your down to one server, no future in that.  Also no xpac in 3 years,  bugs still exist in the game that were there day one of beta.

Anbody who thinks vangaurg is going to live as long as soe has it need a wakeup call.  The only way vangaurd will thrive is if they had an update in folks playing,   I dont see that happening, not even if it went free to play.

• dreamscaperdreamscaper Member UncommonPosts: 1,592

Originally posted by Nikkita

Nope. Next question!

I disagree. Vanguard has a very good future if SOE wakes up and makes it free like EQ2.

That's a very large IF. Unfortunately, a game with no financial support, no design support, and no maintainence team has no future.

<3

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Nikkita

Nope. Next question!

Well EQ2X isn't exactly reviving EQ2.  Soe would have to change their model a lot if they wanted better results.  Just my opinion.

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828

Let's be honest, Vanguard is what it is and it is not going to suddenly grow into a big game or get a lot of developers. SOE will probably keep the server on until it starts losing money.

On the other hand, even with no new development, VG has way more content than most recent games, and a new player could play for months or even years before "finishing" the existing content.

So, does it have a future? Sure, until there are few too many people. Does it have any growth in it's future? no.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• infamouswhoisinfamouswhois Member Posts: 185

i finally checked out vangaurd a few weeks ago after hearing so much about it and really, it aint bad at all. I honestly found it fun and definately innovative with the diplomacy and crafting. Even on my lap top it runs smooth, and still looks amazing running at mid range. I honestly don't know why more people aren't playing this game, it has more to offer than what  many other games out right now has and plays better. Honestly though i  dont see myself subscribing to get off the isle. I just don't see myself willing to sub to a game thats has been put on the back burner by sony with no support. wish this wasn't the case cause i do want to see what else the game has to offer.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

Well I left Vanguard about 8 months ago due to low population on servers,now I'm about to resub with 4 friends of mine. I realy hope SoE will put some work on this game since it is uniqe and I dont think we will see any game like this in the near future.

Imo, the only thing that can save Vanguard is us subscribers going back to the game,when the cash begans to flow it will vake op the sleeping SoE giant.

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

Originally posted by Vidir

Well I left Vanguard about 8 months ago due to low population on servers,now I'm about to resub with 4 friends of mine. I realy hope SoE will put some work on this game since it is uniqe and I dont think we will see any game like this in the near future.

Imo, the only thing that can save Vanguard is us subscribers going back to the game,when the cash begans to flow it will vake op the sleeping SoE giant.

That will never happen. Nothing has changed in Vanguard over the last 8 months except for the server merge which did nothing to boost the population strangely enough.

It's good you have friends with you it makes a world of difference.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ethionethion Member UncommonPosts: 2,888

Originally posted by crosscountry

Rift and Vanguard are different types of games. 

Rift is really more like wow with a little extra dynamic stuff....

Vanguard is like more of everything built on something between eq and eq2 style.

---
    Ethion

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

You know its kind of funny how often this topic comes up.  Is there a future no.  The reason is soe,  you could get a bot load of subs and there is still no future.  Lets face it this game has been left to rot,  and unless soe decided they actually want to support this game it will never make it.