Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final Fantasy XIV: Dev Team Restructured

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a new announcement on the Final Fantasy XIV Lodestone, the development team has been restructured to bring an improved experience to players. Taking the helm as the game's producer and director is Naoki Yoshida. According to the post, Yoshida is 'passionate' about customer service. It was also revealed that the PlayStation 3 version of FFXIV will be delayed past the March 2011 target date.

Thank you for your continued interest in and support of FINAL FANTASY XIV.

While more than two months have passed since the official launch of FINAL FANTASY XIV service, we deeply regret that the game has yet to achieve the level of enjoyability that FINAL FANTASY fans have come to expect from the franchise, and for this we offer our sincerest of apologies.

After thorough deliberation on how to meet those expectations, it was decided that the most viable step was to approach improvements under new leadership and with a restructured team.

To realize this vision, and in doing so, provide our customers with a better game experience, we have assembled our company's top talent and resources. Taking over the role of producer and director is Naoki Yoshida, a passionate individual for whom customer satisfaction has always taken top priority. Not only is he one of our Group's most accomplished and experienced members, Naoki Yoshida is also a charismatic leader possessing the skill to bring together and effectively helm a team which encompasses a wide range of responsibilities. We also welcome several new leaders handpicked from other projects to work with the existing talent on FINAL FANTASY XIV.

Read more here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DatcydeDatcyde Member UncommonPosts: 573

I hope they change everything .

• mudd4evermudd4ever Member Posts: 158

I guess this doesn't come as too much of a surprise.  Sad.  I really want this game to do well, but it may already be too late for them to bring back the numbers that have left.  Players tend to be quite unforgiving once they leave an MMO that wasn't fun for them or they felt let them down.  I hope there is still a chance FFXIV's fortunes can be reversed.  That will probably require some sort of major overhaul of the game, and it won't happen overnight.

pie.

• KimvbbKimvbb Member Posts: 47

Fix bugs and add CONTENT.  I said it in a blog over at another site but I'll say it again here.  FFXIV is like a beautifully, if repetatively landscaped amusement park with all the rides turned off.  Walking around is nice for a few mintues, but I'm not paying a $15 admission fee every month to stare at the scenery.

• ParadoxyParadoxy Member Posts: 786

Hello Mr.Ford you are late to the party. ;)

Nonetheless, a step in right direction but SE's troubles are not over yet. 2011 is going to be very heavy on FFXIV. Against titles like Swtor, GW2, Tera this game has no chance.

Who could have thought that WOW could bring super power like USA to its knees?

Originally posted by Arcken

To put it in a nutshell, our society is about to hit the fan, grades are dropping, obesity is going up,childhood the USA is going to lose its super power status before too long, but hey, as long as we have a cheap method to babysit our kids, all will be well no?
    Im picking on WoW btw because its the beast that made all of this possible

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Should not be a surprise.  The outcry over the game-state is real, and I hope that they are able to turn the tide of something that has plagued many other mmorpg's before it.  But as history has shown over the last 5 years, for the most part, most, if any, have not really been able to rebound really well from a mass exodus of previously hopeful players.

• donblasdonblas Member Posts: 4

I'd like to point out that nobody has tried this with a "failing" MMORPG, so maybe there is slim hope:

[Extension of the Free Trial Period]

As stated above, the newly restructured team's top priority is to bring about improvements to the game's enjoyability, and therefore we have decided to extend the free trial period until we can provide a plan that outlines a level of enjoyment that will satisfy both us and our customers. When we are confident that we have reached that goal, we will notify our customers immediately.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Originally posted by Paradoxy

Hello Mr.Ford you are late to the party. ;)

Nonetheless, a step in right direction but SE's troubles are not over yet. 2011 is going to be very heavy on FFXIV. Against titles like Swtor, GW2, Tera this game has no chance.

Well it's actually Mrs. Ford but that's OK. I realize it was a bit late to the party but, hey...I don't work 24 hours a day. :P

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Haven2035Haven2035 Member Posts: 54

Said it before, and I'll say it again. too little, too late.  FFXIV won't recover. SE should just move on.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I hope they booted the last producer, talk about clueless.....there is just no excuse for the current level of user unfriendliness in this day and age.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

FFIV is worst disappointment for me ever in MMO wold at least ... partially also because I always loved SE games and was expecting maybe to much. But personally I do not see what can they do to repair do damage. To me there is only 1 way: remake (not reprogram, there is nothing to repair) game from scratch and dump this to trash. And never allow this developers even close to new game.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by daltanious

FFIV is worst disappointment for me ever in MMO wold at least ... partially also because I always loved SE games and was expecting maybe to much. But personally I do not see what can they do to repair do damage. To me there is only 1 way: remake (not reprogram, there is nothing to repair) game from scratch and dump this to trash. And never allow this developers even close to new game.

Make a new game, show us what they've got, I'll be willing to buy the box again (most likely).

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

Originally posted by Ozmodan

I hope they booted the last producer, talk about clueless.....there is just no excuse for the current level of user unfriendliness in this day and age.

"First of all, I would like to apologize for our inability to fully satisfy our users with the initial release of FINAL FANTASY XIV. I take full responsibility for the game's current situation, and have therefore made the decision to step down from my role as producer."

• Dave08Dave08 Member UncommonPosts: 67

Originally posted by Kimvbb

Fix bugs and add CONTENT.  I said it in a blog over at another site but I'll say it again here.  FFXIV is like a beautifully, if repetatively landscaped amusement park with all the rides turned off.  Walking around is nice for a few mintues, but I'm not paying a $15 admission fee every month to stare at the scenery.

I agree with this.  It's beautiful, and they have made improvements, but they need a lot of work in the  content department.  Running around killing mobs and clicking on crafts gets tedious when there is no real incentive to do them outside of just levelling.   I level to do 'something'.

I think they can do it, and I appreciate them admitting it and working on it.  It's a shame they didn't have it ready to launch, and launched anyway, but I think they can recover.  It seems they forgot all about what makes FF great, the integrated storylines and questing, but I'm hoping with the beautiful world already done, they can focus on these. 

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

I just feel sorry for people who put their trust in SE and pre-ordered their collectors editions of such a piece of garbage game. Things at SE must be messed up pretty bad if they can't deliver such an important title appropriately to the gaming market. FFXIV is the worst MMO I've ever tried. I am glad I had a chance to Beta it. I was thinking about getting PS3 version but I'd rather not waste the money and get limited edition of SWTOR. FFXIV was probably the biggest let down in SquareEnix history. People who are behind this project need to be fired. They are embarrassment for the company.