Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm-Me

Comments

• condemned88condemned88 Member Posts: 1

when the very first wow came out i was of course very exited i was at that time in school with my childhood friends who persuaded me to go out together and buy a copy of this new game, since all of us had been enjoying custom games in wc3 frozen throne for a long time, and we played some together but mostly just trying to get a feel for the game and chat ingame now and and then, and i was enjoying my self, none of those iritating things about graphic glitches or the way your char moves or little things that piss you off was present, all in all it was very smooth and looked great, so around the time where i had played the first 30 days, me and my friends wasent really playing it together anymore, one of my friends quit all together before even hitting lvl 20, i paused around lvl 18 because i had already gotten hacked or accused of gold selling/buying.. and experiencing the incompetence of the support REALLY made all the goodness of wow go away i was furios with the treatment and the way it was handelded and i was treated! so i stopped playing wow, but a year later or so i tried a trail account because i missed it, but the fact of the matter the monthly fee kept me away, but when lich king hit the stores, i missed it to much and decided to buy the 2 expansions and hit the gaming.. and i grinded almost nonstop for the 30days.. then when i was faced with having to go buy yet another 30days of play time.. it just wasent worth it to me.. and i decided that the entertainment and time spent didnt make up for the insane ammounts of money that had to be thrown into the game..

i dont hate wow i think its a great game, but in no way will i ever pay a monthly subsciption to anything "just for beeing able to play the game"

when i paid for a game i expect to be able to get its full content and playabilty, and then of course pay for any expansion but nothing more..

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

My opinion of WoW can be summed up in one beat :)

Play together a C and an F# one any music instrument you can find!

• KuvajokeriKuvajokeri Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by ruegon

haha...Ya I left for 4 months and reintall the game w/ cata. just to have a 7.5 GB update! Not good when u have moble braodband w/ only 5gb of data a month! it will take like 3-4 months to update for me. good job blizz. :P 

The WoW client saves all it's data in it's own folder and doesn't use Windows' registry at all, so I would suggest you get a USB memory stick, download and install the client at a friend or somebody else who has a better connection and simply copy&paste the folder to your USB stick and take it home to your computer.

Now to talk about Cataclysm itself and my experiences in it, well, as a healer I really love the new healing philosophy of mana conservation centricity. I myself play a paladin and at level 85 now my class probably has it the best out of all the healers at the moment, but I believe this is mostly due to other healing classes being broken for the moment. Even for us paladins now, healing takes quite a bit of thoughtput, rotation handling and communication with the other group members.

And closely related to healing, I like the new heroics, and my favorite of them all has so far been Deadmines heroic. The last fight was really, really fun. So far I have however only ran heroics with my guild mates using voice comm. and we have pretty much been overusing CC on trash etc., so I am not sure how it would feel to run heroics with a pug.

I am now excitedly waiting for the next arena season to begin. Next monday as I'll get home I'll probably try some BG PvP and such. We'll see how that goes.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

Originally posted by Vindicta

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Cataclysm needed to do someting special to keep players going for the long term. I can't see how it has done that and even the OP states she is on the fence about resubbing. I think that speaks volumes right there that people are just growing tired of WoW. We want Blizzards's new stuff, not keep on going back to the old stuff.

I've seen a lot of new stuff - revamped starting areas, entertaining, interesting quests when before they were pretty bland, lots of phasing and storytelling, new talent trees, new mechanics, minor graphics update, etc.
    If they change the gameplay too much, then it might cease to feel like WoW. I think  they've done a good job with the things they did change, without disrupting the overall feel.

I am sure it is all shiny and polished and plays tightly.

But ultimately, people are, as Saint Viktor said, growing tired of WoW. It is the same thing. When you get to the end of the new content, you will just have another carousel of dungeons and raids to get new gear. The gameplay is the same, and the content is the same, just in new locations. Nothing has changed, and the game likely still incredibly easy, perhaps even easier than before, and people will get bored if they are neither challenged nor provided with something new to hold their interest. When the content wears off, they will get bored ever faster because each time they reach the level cap, they will see that they are faced with repeating the same actions over and over and over, and the same actions they did at 60, and 70, and 80. 85 will be just the same.

Every game has a shelf life. Look at Everquest. It still exists, but I think we all know it is past its use by date. And they continue to pump out content at a comparatively very, very rapid clip. People still got bored with the game. Blizzard will have to keep pumping out content quickly if they expect to keep people. By catering to the crowd they have, they have found themselves with a very fickle group, and they will lose them to the next big thing, just as popular music does.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• c4viper1c4viper1 Member UncommonPosts: 28

Dude wow is now a 37 gigs monster, a memory stick isnt gona cut it anymore ^^

Originally posted by c4viper1

Dude wow is now a 37 gigs monster, a memory stick isnt gona cut it anymore ^^

Err, actually, you're right. You'll probably need a USB hard disk...

• GothikaboyGothikaboy Member UncommonPosts: 119

Originally posted by unbound55

Cataclysm needed to do someting special to keep players going for the long term. I can[object Window]t see how it has done that and even the OP states she is on the fence about resubbing. I think that speaks volumes right there that people are just growing tired of WoW. We want Blizzards[object Window]s new stuff, not keep on going back to the old stuff.

Tens of millions of people have subscribed to WoW over the past 6 years, and some people are talking about being tired of it?  Really?  I think the volumes you are hearing is your own negative opinion playing loudly over and over again in your head.  When we see substantial percentages of people leaving WoW like Warhammer Online or Age of Conan, you[object Window]ll have a point...otherwise, you are just a troll.

This is another expansion pack (link for SaintViktor since he doesn[object Window]t seem to understand the concept - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_pack).  Of course it isn[object Window]t going to radically overhaul the game.  It adds new content (2 new starter races - BTW, the Goblin starting area is rather fun, 80-85 content, new dungeons, new raids, and the typical additional raids over the next 18 months or so that Blizzard usually releases), changed the mechanics moderately (back to being close to BC days which is why I[object Window]m one of those that have returned), added new profession, new recipes, etc.

Is WoW now not WoW?  No.  Go back and click on the link above if you have any confusion on this matter.

Yeah me the troll, totally got me. If you and many can[object Window]t accept the fact that alof of us on forums have a very different opinion than some then maybe forum posting is not for you.

If WoW has added little or a lot is not an opinion.

Please do not hype any gam.. oh wait, nevermind... forgot what forum I was on.

• thebigchin11thebigchin11 Member Posts: 519

First post on here.  Played WOW on and off for a few years, off for the last two.  Rolled both new races and played through the starter areas, but unfortunately Barrens chat made me quit again.  Social side of things is the major flaw with that game these days.

Chins

• ramdyramdy Member UncommonPosts: 71

In my opinion Blizzard is, after cataclysm, pointing more than ever to kids and female public. WOW is disguntingly easy to play. Blizzard is introducing a new genre "MMORPG FOR KIDS" who makes people who really want to introduce in a story, look for achievements to run away.

try saying disguntingly after a couple of beers. 

Chins

Originally posted by ramdy

In my opinion Blizzard is, after cataclysm, pointing more than ever to kids and female public. WOW is disguntingly easy to play. Blizzard is introducing a new genre "MMORPG FOR KIDS" who makes people who really want to introduce in a story, look for achievements to run away.

For the female public? Are you serious? It's 2010 and you are basically labelling games to be a "men-only" thing? Please.

• alltoreupalltoreup Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Sovrath

I wonder if you haven't changed your account over to the new battlenet system they have? I wanted to log in and see what was up in wow and I had the same issue where my password didn't work. Then I noticed an option to change over to battlenet and that is what did it for me.

i would try giving this a shot

• jimbo833jimbo833 Member Posts: 158

well as i disagree with the "i can see what skill i can get without gonig to the trainer" being a good thing. WOW is still wow and blizz do know how to make a good balanced game..

even if i did play it for 2 hours and get bored :P

thats the problem Jumbo- gets dull too quickly.  Anyway get back to your circus

Chins

• CeletixCeletix Member Posts: 3

I like WoW. It's a nicely designed game.

But it's a little iffy for me at times; I've played, then left, then returned. I do that a lot actually.

• daphat.comdaphat.com Member Posts: 8

As a new player in WoW. ill give a quick personal opinon. Me and a few of my friends have never played WoW. instead we have always enjoyed F2p games. And with all the bugs, Lack of support and issues we have been having we deciede to give WoW a try. We purchased the battle chest about 3 weeks before the cata changes started happening. The begining of the game was a bit rough. but we went though and slowly loved the game. The cartoon stlye charicters were a turn off but we decided that the lack of Lag and the quick customer service we were getting made up for that.

then the changes started with Cata. the world started shaking and the rifts open with elementals. all this kept us entertained. Then out of no were the whole world changed on us. we loved it. So we started some new toons to see how much easier it was and what they exactly did change. Let me just say the change was for the better. The quest/Story line kept us up late enjoying the game once again.

We all have decided to NEVER play a F2P again. A lesson we all learned is that a F2P will always cost more money then a P2P for those who do not have many hours a day to play. With my max of 4 hours a  night before bed time im fine paying my sub.

for anyone that like to bag on WoW and has never tried it... down load the 10 day. trust me you dont want to belive the hype. the game is great .

• DerWotanDerWotan Member Posts: 1,012

Nice one Isabelle.

I'm not going to talk about my whole "(ex) WoW story" so I'll try to keep things short.

The reason I've started to give World of Warcraft Classic a shot had nothing to do with the game itself, more so with the incredible BS Soe showed against their loyal Everquest 1 players and we all know how well that turned out, don't we?

->Everquest 2 the game came out unfinished, buggy plus they removed everything that Everquest 1 fans wanted to have (loved).. Then WoW was released so the following months all Soe did remodell the incredible easy game after the "WoW modell" I can tell you almost every patch dumbed down the easy EQ2 even more. At some point I said to myself "oh yeah great fuck you Soe" why I'm wasting my time playing a bad copy?! I can play the original and thats what I did.

I picked up WoW Classic during release but only made it to level 5 or 6 because I really didn't like the questing handholding style. So when I decided to give it another shot I knew I had to deal with a lot of things I didn't like, but compared to the BS Eq 2 had become it seemed like the better option for me.

Started to play again, learned to love the open world feeling and especially SOME of the GUI mods (you know before crap like TS, Recount and Omen hit the world), the customer support was very friendly and helpful so it was clear thats my "new home".  I always knew its a game for casuals which was fine for me back then.

After reaching lvl 60 I started some raiding (BC ready to release in 7 weeks or so) which has been nice but no way near the quality I knew from Everquest 1, so I decided its not worth my time and just worked on T0.5 then BC hit the world which brought lots of good but also bad stuff (removing PvP ranking, making green equal with T3, killing 40 men raids you name it...), anyway I gave it a shot and I really liked most aspects of the game and started to do some hardcore raiding again and loved the clear progression Karazhan -> Gruul -> Magtheridon -> KT -> SSC....

but then Blizzard removed the access quests AND introduced badge gear which was equal to ~ T5. Major let down and killing point for many many raidguilds I knew but Soe took over Vanguard this point so no way back,  our guild got killed with this patch we just did the daily quest stuff while waiting for Wrath of the Lichking.

I really didn't like what I've heard back at Blizzcon about making raids more accessible so yes I was VERY worried but I can tell you Wotlk surpassed my nightmares by a whole lot. I never knew that casual = lazy, 6year old easy mode. To be honest I think Blizzard is using "casual" as an excuse for their ongoing efforst to dumb the game down to the point of no return.

At the end of the day I've said to myself "this isn't a game made for casuals its a game made for kiddies with the worst community I've ever seen screw it" and quit. I did follow some news about the game and even Catacylsm but from what I've been reading so far they're continuing to dumb down the game so the only way for me giving it another shot would be "classic servers" otherwise no way.

Its sad because the game itself isn't that bad its just the stubborness of Greg Street, Boby Kotick and Tom Chilton which killed this game for me oh and of course - hello ***** Kotick - the itemshop.

Summary:

Reason so many people went back to WoW is simple: other games aren't different enough! Even the former great Aion is getting dumbed down with almost every patch which I hate like hell.

We need a MMORPG Cataclysm asap, finish the dark age of MMORPGS now!

"Everything you're bitching about is wrong. People don't have the time to invest in corpse runs, impossible zones, or long winded quests. Sometimes, they just want to pop on and play."
    "Then maybe MMORPGs aren't for you."

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

I do like housing too, especially SWG like system... without messy city plans and with /roll left|right furniture ;)

However before housing WoW really needs a social clothing tab and gear dies.

For now WoW is just a Diablo on steroids.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I tried it several times but I could never get over the simplistic gfx, particulary the animations are quite awful, and the very linear game play. Never really understood why this game is such a success.

• MysteryBMysteryB Member UncommonPosts: 355

Originally posted by ruegon

haha...Ya I left for 4 months and reintall the game w/ cata. just to have a 7.5 GB update! Not good when u have moble braodband w/ only 5gb of data a month! it will take like 3-4 months to update for me. good job blizz. :P 

Where the **** do you live?

Mystery Bounty

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

I'm having fun. I'm doing the same thing I've done for five years, but it's refreshing to have very challenging heroics and a sense of progression again. It'll keep me busy for now.

• GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224

To the OP, If you are looking at coming back then reclaiming your account has to be a no-brainer surely? Even just based on cost alone. As long as you know your security info and have access to the original email account then go with it. It would save rebuiying the whole bundle. I've contacted Blizzard twice in the past, once was for account reclamation and it went really smoothly with no stress.

Regarding the game itself, I'm loving Cataclysm right now. I've not tried running my 80's through the new high level areas yet but the new starter areas are great. Just loving my new worgen druid with his funky run.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you regarding end-game content in that I don't raid but I do get a kick out of doing heroics and pvp. It remains to be seen how the new rated BG's play out - I'm hoping they haven't been 'arena-ised' and had the fun sucked out of them but I'm looking forward to them with an open mind.

If rerolling is your thing then you have 10 character slots per server to play with. I have 3 toons currently as works in progress and the new game world has geuninely rekindled my interest.

• GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224

Originally posted by Deewe

I do like housing too, especially SWG like system... without messy city plans and with /roll left|right furniture ;)

However before housing WoW really needs a social clothing tab and gear dies.

For now WoW is just a Diablo on steroids.

I would love to see the outfit and dyes system from LOTRO brought over to WoW.

• smutsmut Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by Vindicta

Originally posted by DKKOberon

So if you want to get into Cataclysm and never played you have to buy WOW and ALL the update/expansions??? I don't think so.

Plus they reduced the price of the original game and first 2 expansions to like 10 bucks or so, so it's not so expensive, plus you'll get the first 30 days free (of course, Cataclysm is still $39.99)

Just clearing up some misinformation. Those prices were temporary Black Friday sales only.

The Blizzard store digital downloads are $20 for Vanilla WoW, Burning Crusade is $30, Lich King is $40 and Cata is $40 for a total of $130.

If you buy hard copies at for example, Gamestop.com, Vanilla and BC Battlechest is $20, Lich King is $20 and Cata is $40 for a total of $80.

I cannot find anywhere where BC and Lich King are $10 only. Those were Black Friday sales.

• bdewbdew Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by Delameko

I really enjoyed all the phasing stuff, it makes for a great storyline.  The Worgen and Goblin starters are both great for example, as well as a lot of the redone zones (blowing up Redridge, attempting to save Westfall).

However, it does concern me sometimes, what other players are seeing.  In Westfall, there was a player sitting in the middle of the town around Deadmines for a quite a while, I wondered what they were doing.  Later, a quest takes me there and the square is full of people listening to a speech.  Someone else is running around me and I'm guessing they don't see what I see.

Another time, on the Worgen starter I was chatting with some other players and I started to updating my quest and all the players vanished, as I'd moved into a new phase.

If you are seing players in other phases it's a bug, mostly transitions between phases look like what you describe for the second time - everybody disapearing.

Also i wanted to say their new terrain phasing system totaly rocks... the first time i noticed it was in the worgen srarting area. I went into a basement to turn in some quest, then suddenly the screen started shaking like crazy, i run out (with the npcs) and HOLY FUCK WHERE DID HALF THE ZONE GO, it's ocean now... cataclysm in real time :)