Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can you control many ships like on Homeworld, or is it just 1 ship at a time?

EgaoNoGenkiEgaoNoGenki Member Posts: 397

Is it possible to buy as many ships as you can and control your own personal fleet like you did on Homeworld and Homeworld 2? If not, it's always just one ship at a time, isn't it?

Comments

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855

Just one shipm,it's all about grouping and healping eachother out like any mmorpg, because otherwise it wud be too easy to solo :P

But you can have drones

• EgaoNoGenkiEgaoNoGenki Member Posts: 397

Could you tell me more about drones? How big can they be and how powerful are they?

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 855

Theres mining drones and combat drones :P what ones you can use depend on your skills, altho i've found mining drones to be pretty useless specialy in lower sec space where you really want combat drones to protect you :P

Combat drones tho are pretty powerful but they are mainly to just protect you against npc :P I love my Orges they take down anything :) Also these drones they repair themselves but if they hav any structure damage then u will hav to take them bk to the station and repair!

My advice is to find a good corp and use ur corp mates as ur fleet :) It's much more fun that way

• CennCenn Member Posts: 239

Drone can be a pain - especially for us frigate/interceptor pilots.

A heavy combat drone is basically a mini-frigate... and costs about the same as well. They are fast, hard to hit, do enough damage to scare frigates (even cruisers) away if in numbers... drawbanck is they are pretty dumb and have to be watched to make sure they dont accidently decide to target something else.

I know that when i face a battleship (or one of the drone carrier cruisers) i wil probably leave if those drones come out in force.

2 heavy drones vs 1 frigate, drones probably win..
    when a thorax comes along with 10 medium drones, i will ALWAYS run away, even in an assult frigate or another cruiser.

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

Drones can be a pain for more than just frigates and cruisers, a well skilled Dominix Pilot can take out any ship in EVE 1 vs 1 by simply using drones to attack.

As for the cost, most drones are fairly cheap, even heavy drones shouldn't run you more than about 40,000 a piece and they are the most expensive combat drones in the game at the moment.

As for being dumb ... I think you are mistaken because drones do absolutely nothing until you order them to. There is only two ways for a drone to attack someone. First, you have the person targetted and order your drones to attack them. Second, your drones are orbitting you and someone attacks you. So, if your drones acquire a target it is because you ordered them to attack it or it is firing at you.

As for drones taking out frigates, I beg to differ. If you keep a good velocity, heavy drones will never touch you in a frigate and are quite easy to pick off using small turrets and missiles. Medium drones do not have enough tracking to hit a ceptor and do not hit hard enough to take out an assault frigate so, they aren't worth getting into a panic over. As for small drones well, they are kind of pointless. Might scare off the occasional ceptor pilot who panics as soon as he seems damage done to his shielding but generally, they are of little use.

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• CennCenn Member Posts: 239

point.

But when you are a bunch of ceptors + frigs (4 of us) taking on battleships, we win if the pilot forgets his frones. If those drones drop, we'll often loose someone to them...

Dont underestimate those little suckers - but they are needed in numbers.

Once a drone starts shooting things, they attack the nearest hostile... Its quite possible to draw off drones if the pilot is not concentrating on them..